It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon requests emergency powers to deploy inside the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The Obama administration is requesting Congress to authorize "emergency powers" to send troops into states in certain situations.

A similar Pentagon request for fiscal 2009 was shot down in committee during the Bush administration.

With Democrats complaining of "Nazi" tactics and symbols at 'town hall' meetings, and Dem leaders Pelosi, Hoyer and Reed calling confrontations with representatives "un-American," what will the Democrat-led Congress do to strengthen military authority WITHIN the U.S., and in contravention of States Rights and the 10th amendment?

A bipartisan pair of governors is opposing a new Defense Department proposal to handle natural and terrorism-related disasters, contending that a murky chain of command could lead to more problems than solutions.

Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas (R), chairman of the National Governors Association, and Vice Chairman Gov. Joe Manchin (D) of West Virginia penned a letter opposing the Pentagon proposal, which they said would hinder a state's effort to respond to a disaster.
thehill.com...

Of course, we know now that the Obama administration defines "terrorism" to include such things as opposing certain policies or espousing certain beliefs. The definition of "disaster" is even more subject to manipulation and broad interpretation. We've even seen references to health care and the health care bill as "national disasters," haven't we?

Under this proposal, either of these situations would empower the military to deploy into states to 'remedy' the situation. This is in clear contravention of governors' constitutional powers to engage national guard units and other agencies to protect their citizens.

"We are concerned that the legislative proposal you discuss in your letter would invite confusion on critical command and control issues, complicate interagency planning, establish stove-piped response efforts, and interfere with governors’ constitutional responsibilities to ensure the safety and security of their citizens," Douglas and Manchin wrote to Paul Stockton, assistant secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and America's Security Affairs.

(emphasis added)
thehill.com...

Has someone in the Defense Department noticed the growing number and volume of calls, and recent responses thereto, for confrontation and dissent from government overreaching and breach of individual rights and freedoms?

Or is this just a coincidence?

deny ignorance

jw

[edit on 10-8-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Don't think they want to do something drastic?

"Whitehouse Blocks Oppostion"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Whitehouse Treatens Limbaugh"

"Cops and Gov't are Terrorists"

It's already starting in England:

Don't forget this Spring's uproars over the DHS and state police terrorist lists authorizing intervention against "bad speech" and "bad thoughts."

jw

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Obama apparently has made arrangements for military presence to be in all major US cities by 2011. I am looking for this link.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

If Congress gives them the appropriations, it'll be a lot sooner than that.

It can start this year!

Look forward to your link.

jw

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Just hope they don't contract it out to Black Water or I mean Z.
Bush loved outsourcing things to them that he wanted denyability for.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I am trying not to be concerned about this, There is so much going on EVERYWHERE that something.. could spark anywhere to create a reason for this. Yeah watch the news on how people are so heated ABOUT the healthcare

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Thanks for the link.

One more reason to keep alert.

This will definitely move fast if Congress ignores the governors and lets this go forward.

jw

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
They're clearly trying to take the power out of state and governors' hands.

Hard to form an operational police state without all their ducks in a row. This strikes me as just one more loose end that is needed to be tied in order to have the people one step closer to where they want them.

Power hungry. The more they acquire, the less we have. Simple as that.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Do they actually have to paint swastikas on the tanks and stuff before people wake up and smell the coffee? Where's the outrage from inside system? Isn't there any people in the chain of command who aren't afraid to raise their voices?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I can only yell so loud and who is going to listen to me any way? No the top generals did not get there by being a voice of decent they got there by kissing butt. and being a blue falcon most of the time there are the rare persons that get to where they are in there career by kicking butt and taking names those are few and far between and usually hold a desk job out of the way.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

funny...in italy they did the same thing recently...and now in germany the CDU (merkels party) are trying to push through the same changes to the german law...to allow troops to do things police would normally do..

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Do they actually have to paint swastikas on the tanks and stuff before people wake up and smell the coffee? Where's the outrage from inside system? Isn't there any people in the chain of command who aren't afraid to raise their voices?

1) probably

2) there isn't any

3) nope.

[edit on 11/8/2009 by gravykraken]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

Perhaps when DoD saw what's happening in Europe, noticed the administration's indifference to oppresssion elsewhere, and took note of the DHS' willingness to treat US citizens as terrorists, just for "dissent," they decided the time was right to try again.

Given what we've seen of this administration's attitude toward democracy and accountability, I'd be willing to wager this progresses through committe to consideration for appropriations.

When the September/October market correction occurs (analysts and indexes like the VIX say it's >80% likely to be deep), people continue to act out their frustrations, and the new fiscal year kicks in, the Pentagon will be ready to "assist" in quelling internal "terrorism" or selected "disasters."

jw

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I read today this:

The Pentagon has approached Congress to grant the Secretary of Defense the authority to post almost 400,000 military personnel throughout the United States in times of emergency or a major disaster.

This request has already occasioned a dispute with the nation’s governors. And it raises the prospect of U.S. military personnel patrolling the streets of the United States, in conflict with the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

In June, the U.S. Northern Command distributed a “Congressional Fact Sheet” entitled “Legislative Proposal for Activation of Federal Reserve Forces for Disasters.”

www.progressive.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

From what I've read, Congress and Obama APPROVE of this move.

Given what the administration thinks of "dissent," I'd be cconcerned if I didn't toe the line on the agenda.

(His science czar says America needs to move backwards a few steps, anyway.)

deny ignorance

jw

new topics

top topics

join