It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,500 requests a day to 'spy' on public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

1,500 requests a day to 'spy' on public

uk.news.yahoo.com

Fears have been raised about the scale of the UK's "surveillance state" after it was revealed 1,500 requests to snoop on the public were made every day last year.

Councils, police and the intelligence services asked more than 500,000 times for approval to access private email and phone data, according to official figures.

Each request allows public authorities access to communications data - which includes records of phone, email and text messages - but not their content.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Disgusting.

They have got to be stopped.. it's bad enough that we have CCTV cameras everywhere. .Think I'll start wearing IR lights everywhere I go from now on.

The Liberal Democrats' home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said the figures "beggared belief", and questioned whether so many operations were necessary.

It's almost nice to know that someone from the large pool of MP's has some concern about this.. I'm glad someone is asking questions.

Will this get worse or will something change for the better?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

365 times 150,000 = 54,750,000

the estimated population of the UK in July of 2009 was projected to be 61,126,832.

source

Assuming these are all requests for different persons, you've got some real problems.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I've got the double post bug, apparently.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by '___'eviant]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What I find hilarious, the Government, hit back saying the actual numbers are less than they were last year.

OH!!!!!!!! is that right, I would love to know how many were under survelliane last year also.

Makes it worse that councils are even allowed to do this. I bet those working in the councils would not be happy, if they found out someone was secretly bugging thier phones, reading thier emails, just to see what they are up to.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

And everyday more and more people are turning their backs on the establishment..

Must be so disheartening to read all those messages that say 'ya-boo to the Gov'!!

I'm just watching a TV programme too which shows that mobile phones will soon come with RFID chips so you can use your mobile as a credit card too...
Just how many problems is that gonna cause for you and me and just imagine the amount of data the phone companies and governments can collect from that little number

Truly sad

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion, thank you

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join