It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something just punched a hole in Saturn's F-ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Found this this morning, and thought I would pass it to the experts here at ATS.

What do you all think?

This image was taken in August by Cassini and shows what scientists believe to be signs of something big that punched through Saturn's F-ring (the outermost ring), dragging rocks and debris with it.

The shadow of this event can be seen right across to the innermost A-ring, which makes it pretty colossal:

Read on at www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Dometheus]

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Dometheus]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
WOW that's cool,

found this,

I am no expert,
Narrow, vertically extended structures in the F ring cast long shadows as a result of the unique illumination geometry provided during equinox. Image: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute.
www.spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Amazing!
Something is there,
BTW I love those photos!
Thank's OP.

SNC

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Nice.. the Galactic Federation are on their way.....

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Great find.

From my Untrained eye it looks to me like a traveling celestial body passing through the rings. Cool pics.

I found this story interesting
Interesting information.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Its the shadow of Saturn's moon Tethys.

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

The moon Tethys casts its shadow on Saturn's rings next to the shadow of the planet in this image taken as Saturn approaches its August 2009 equinox.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warrior of the Light

Is this federation of yours often ''punch hole'' like this?
What make you think it's them and not the Zergs, Klingon or the GDHMRV: Galactic Dominion of Hate, Murder, Rape and Vivisection?

IMO GFL is nothing more than rubish made up from mixing various theme in modern SciFi show. The guy who first come up with that is a super troll.

Also, the punch hole look more like a shadow of something in the ring. Possibly one of saturn 61 known (or unknown) natural satellite.

Similar moonlets are thought to reside in the F Ring. There, "jets" of material may be due to collisions, initiated by perturbations from the nearby small moon Prometheus, of these moonlets with the core of the F Ring. One of the largest F-Ring moonlets may be the as-yet unconfirmed object S/2004 S 6. The F Ring also contains transient "fans" which are thought to result from even smaller moonlets, about 1-km in diameter, orbiting near the F Ring core.[10]

From wikipedia. Oh but can it be trusted? I heard there is tons of disonfo agents lurking in Wiki's depth. Maybe they saw this thread and quickly add some modification! And OH!!! maybe im their spokeperson lol

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warrior of the Light

LOL! Actually I hope that is the case. Humanity could use a wake up call. How about thousands of spacecraft showing up everywhere. It would surely make us reevaluate this game we have been playing against ourselves.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Nobody panic! N.A.S.A. has assured us that the event we see in these photographs is nothing more than just a common Weather Balloon or Swamp Gas. Nothing more to see here folks...move along....

Oh wait, I guess the updated 2009 Official Explanation Random Generator for Unexplainable Phenomena and Unidentified Objects (Standard Federal Form Maj.27a) has a new entry: "Shadow"!

[edit on 10-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So did this thing originate from Saturn?

Does anyone know how often Saturn experiences this hole punching anomaly?
Something tells me this hole will be filled in again at some time but if not, I sure hope it's not heading our way.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
that totally looks like its heading outward from the saturn. whatever it is. from saturn... super sweet!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's an unknown object, but could be a comet or asteroid some 140 000km from the surface of Saturn. NASA know more about it than me and reckon it's possibly another moonlet on an eccentric orbit. I'd like to see the after effects as it passed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18b084b3ad17.jpg[/atsimg]

The effect is similar to this bullet being fired by the Grinch at a terminally ill orphan's favorite Christmas bauble...that ba***rd!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/feef89a18438.jpg[/atsimg]

ATS Thread with more images

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Something tells me this hole will be filled in again at some time but if not, I sure hope it's not heading our way.

We're all in a lotta trouble Mister if that damn hole's heading our way

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I understand that the image is recent, but is there any indication that the hole is recent? As far I understood it this angle was photographed for the first time so could it be that the hole has been there for a long time?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Jupiter's spot, Venus's bright spot, and now this Saturn's Ring getting punched...whats next? our earth?

seriously, somethings fishy going on?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteblack

We can blame it on Global Warming.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
By punching through the F-ring, will we logically refer to this as the G-spot?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It just occurred to me that the topic name "Something just punched a hole in Saturn's F-ring" didn't mean what I thought it did when I started reading it. I was expecting something more graphic.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Topic is already under discussion here.

Please post to the preceding thread.

Closing

new topics

top topics

join