It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs a job?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
A thought I had a while back. With such a large and diverse community as ATS, why couldn't we have a jobs board? A place where people who are looking for work or have openings can post and network?
I've spoken with several people on this site who state that they are out of work. I know, personally, of several openings where I work, and we can't hire people quick enough.
Mods, posters, what are your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
great idea

i fully support this, perhaps on the BTS forum? snf

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Sounds good, I must admit, I don't visit there often, (BTS) but anywhere would be a good start.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
good idea. they should make a new icon and set sompthing up. then after it is up have a state by state posting. posibly list a job with a refrence number and a email address to contact the person and then they can find out more info.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasoutlaw
good idea. they should make a new icon and set sompthing up. then after it is up have a state by state posting. posibly list a job with a refrence number and a email address to contact the person and then they can find out more info.

Sounds good. How hard would that be to set up? I don't know all the 'mechanics' of what that would entail, but keeping it simple would probably be best.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
That is indeed a wonderful thought in this time of economic crisis, where so many people are losing their jobs and hitting rock-bottom.

Our Terms and Conditions, however, won't allow for it:

1e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership at The Above Network, LLC site(s) for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

ii) You will not use the discussion boards, the chat system or the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

iii) You will not post, use the chat feature or use the private message system to solicit members of The Above Network, LLC on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with The Above Network, LLC. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

We do our best to protect our members and their private information, and a "job forum" will open up a door to let some of the 'baddies" in. It's a pity we live in the world we do: where good people are denied help because of a handful of bad people.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's debateable, I'll point out this thread to the other staff and see what the Admin have to say.

For the thoughtful idea.

[edit]
Got beat to it....
See, you are being watched...

[edit on 10-8-2009 by ADVISOR]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

ii) You will not use the discussion boards, the chat system or the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses

i think your refering to this as one of the rules. but there is a spot you can get this off ats if the user post this.

if they open a forum for jobs. the post should be directed back as a u2u to the direct poster of the job. the if the user leaves the email address with the person in reply that would be on them not ats then. this could be so easy to fallow with the rules.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
That is indeed a wonderful thought in this time of economic crisis, where so many people are losing their jobs and hitting rock-bottom.

Our Terms and Conditions, however, won't allow for it:

1e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership at The Above Network, LLC site(s) for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

ii) You will not use the discussion boards, the chat system or the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

iii) You will not post, use the chat feature or use the private message system to solicit members of The Above Network, LLC on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with The Above Network, LLC. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

We do our best to protect our members and their private information, and a "job forum" will open up a door to let some of the 'baddies" in. It's a pity we live in the world we do: where good people are denied help because of a handful of bad people.

Is it really data mining if the information is given freely? I'm not argueing, just asking. Another way around it might be a separate link for those that are interested in the "jobs" area. Password protected etc. . .
We network on so many levels here, what would be the issue of adding to the strata? Or how about, say my company is hiring, so I post that information on the board. Letting others know, but having it done privately. No overt solicitation, just a ,"hey, there's work avaliable, if you want it".

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
if your posting a job its not data mining. if the person sends a U2U asking for more information or an email address outside of ATS to contact the person then it would not hold ats liable for the actions caused by those acting in any manner which ats users shouldent be doing that anyway.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hell yeah!

Make initial contact via ats with a separate but 'linkable' if desired user profile on job sub-forum. The rest can be done off the board via email.. I don't see the issue.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Or we could just have an ongoing thread, posting the type of work that you do.

And if someone thinks they know of a job for, say, veterinarians, they can U2U the member.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
...i'd be interested in hearing comments from people who have investigated the work at home offers... those i've looked into end up being a "send me money and i'll show you how to make money" scam...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

We do our best to protect our members and their private information, and a "job forum" will open up a door to let some of the 'baddies" in. It's a pity we live in the world we do: where good people are denied help because of a handful of bad people

I was going to suggest coming up with some way to protect privacy. Perhaps those who know of jobs giving a link direct to HR or the hiring manager without the linkers name involved?

Trying to jump through the HR hiring hoops can be a real pain. I sometimes think the main function of HR is to keep good people and hiring managers separated.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
BTS is where threads go to die.

Destroy the rule of a job category. I thought this was a place of no rules?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Personally I like the idea

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Any other input from the mods? I know this is a small sample of people but no-one has yet to find it a bad idea. . .

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Help Wanted:

Person to work the Front Desk at a terrible horrible hotel in downtown Detroit. duties include riot control, calling the inept and useless Detroit PD, hoping someone doesn't die and refusing refunds to people that wouldn't stay here if their lives depended upon it. And dealing with management with a sub par understanding of the English language as well as a total lack of compassion.

Compensation: pathetic, Perks: Yea right.

Contact whatukno to swap jobs.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Sure, I'll swap

My job includes:
Shoveling sheep $h!t (boy does that have the sticking power of high grade epoxy) Horse poo, Chicken (STINKS) etc
Chasing the sheep back into the pasture while the guard donkey is trying to bite and kick me.
Repair fence, dig post holes in 100+ degree heat
Chasing the goat herd out of the family room because the buck figured out how to jimmy the back door. (He butts it in just the right place and pops the door)
Standing guard at night to chase off the Mexicans who sneak onto the place, kill the animals and field butcher leaving a rotting mess, not to mention the druggies trying to steal equipment or doing drug deals
Ducking bullets from the gun happy drunks from the city who come here to "hunt"
Catching all the animals and painting "Cow" "Goat" "Sheep" on each side in fluorescent paint.
Repair tractor that just blew an engine.
Pay? What ever you manage to clear after selling the animals and paying expenses.
Still want to swap?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I've been unemployed so long, I'm asking the dog for networking tips. And the governments unemployment numbers are going down? Not where I'm at, mate. We all know the numbers they quote are bs, right?

new topics

top topics

join