It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a Good Cop? (Test Yourself!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

"I've gone into hundreds of fortune-teller's parlors, and have been told thousands of things, but nobody ever told me I was a policewoman getting ready to arrest her." - New York City Detective

policeone.com

Law enforcement is less glamorous and more tedious than television writers have led you to believe. If you have a burning desire to protect and serve your fellow man (and woman), you probably have what it takes to wear the gold badge.

I evaluate prospective officers using psychological, personality and IQ testing instruments. I attempt to select candidates who will adhere to the Police Ethical Standards, of which this is one paragraph:
"As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidations, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice."
Law enforcement standards are exceptionally high, as they should be.
We also look for candidates who are friendly, caring, intelligent, polite, assertive and emotionally and psychologically stable. Do you have the characteristics necessary to become a successful officer? Let's see...

Here is an interesting article I found while trying to search for stories of 'good cops.' I know they are out there and I will eventually find some, but I'm having a hard time. I think this is probably only because a 'bad' cop is much more entertaining and sells a lot more papers than a 'good' cop.

The standards mentioned above are a great representation of the good cops I know. I wonder how some smaller departments without a lot of resources, or even larger ones with a lot of turnover and dozens of vacancies apply these criteria to their selection process.

Here is the chance to find out if YOU would make a good cop. No cheating! ESPECIALLY if you are already a cop.

If you have any links to sites that talk about cops doing it 'right,' I would be interested in having those to add to my bookmarks, to help me maintain a little bit of journalistic impartiality, or at the very minimum, help me to help myself to not become so jaded.

Thanks in advance.

Carpe Diem, Baby.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have always thought they should add to that oath our officers take...
One should strive to be a good, respectful, well mannered and upright role model for the youth in your area were ever that area may be, at home or abroad.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
After my life of 17 years of police trying to murder my life, i can safely say what makes a good cop is as follows.

1) They have to have loads of friends who they can murder for while they are in the police.

2) Be able to get all there friends enemies murdered is one of the real things that make a policeman in this world.

Once they set out to murder your life they will never stop.

Serial killers that want a job just join the police, you can kill anyone that has upset you in your life, for no reason other then whats in your mind.

The above sums up what makes a good police person, full stop.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You know I thought many of those question on the test could be both answers.

For example do you use teamwork or do you work alone. Hey I prefer teamwork but more times than not I end up doing someones job for them while another one complains to the boss that someone dropped a tissue paper on te ground and won't pick it up and a third just decided to surf the internet while the fourth just says screw it time for a doughnut break.

You hope for the first but inevitably end up the second.

Same goes for the question do you plan or just go, you plan but in the end the plan doesn't work so you run around just trying to get the plan back in action by fixing whatever broke the plan up in the first place.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You know I thought....

Nope, not qualified to be a cop!.

Just kidding. God Bless 'em.

new topics

top topics

join