It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Commander Warns Taliban Getting Stronger

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

U.S. Commander Warns Taliban Getting Stronger

www.foxnews.com

The Taliban have gained the upper hand in Afghanistan, the top American commander there said, forcing the U.S. to change its strategy in the eight-year-old conflict by increasing the number of troops in heavily populated areas like the volatile southern city of Kandahar, the insurgency's spiritual home.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So supposedly, the Taliban lost the three head honchos and they still have the upper hand?

The have the upper hand of all our technology, training and troops. How does this work exactly?

How do they expect me to believe these conflicting stories every day.

One minute its, "oh we killed the leaders, this is justified, we are making progress." Then the next minute its, "we arent making progress, we need to send more troops to the region"

???

www.foxnews.com

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Put healthcare costs on hold, Americans!!
Million dollar bombs are priority here.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Of course things aren't going well. Afghanistan is a giant black hole. The war over there will never end. It's going to be worse than Vietnam because it's hidden under the guise of the War on Terror. Americans have been brainwashed into fearing sandal wearing, AK-47 toting, goat herders with IED's.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think the commanders on the ground are at wits end concerning the threat assessments from the Taliban. This is an enemy that is most likely using the play book designed by the VietCong. They are going to antagonize the enemy which for them is Nato and US forces. Insurgent movements at night, light skirmishes with patrols, ambushes, blending with the locals, forming co-ops with the tribal groups for aid and support, and using the border of Pakistan as a regrouping area. These are the same tactics used by the Vietnamese insurgents during the Vietnam War. The article below is from a 2003 Asia Times article, but I think it is relevant today concerning the tactics of the Taliban at present.

. . . in groups of 20 to 25, are ensconced along the borders within Pakistan and make forays into the border cities and roadways of Afghanistan to harass the well-trained foreign troops guarding these cities. The strategy is more or less similar to the one the Vietcong adopted in Vietnam during the three decades of war in Indochina: that is, to hit and vanish, to cause injury and damage, to make the guerrillas' unseen presence felt every day, and to capitalize on the despondency that sets in in the minds of the occupying forces . . .

www.atimes.com...

The US put Afghanistan on the back burner for far to long, and as a result; giving the Taliban 8 years to observe Nato forces and refine their strategy since the invasion of 2001. That is a lot of time to prepare, and in my humble opinion; the US might be day late and dollar short. Now politicians in Washington think by flooding the country with more troops it will have the desired affect like the General Petraeus's surge of 2007? However, the US has yet to earn the trust of the tribal groups which make up most of the country's population. Where as, with the surge, the Sunni militia groups began the "Iraqi Awakening Movement," this local action proved to be the defining moment for success.

Where as, I think the Afghans are on the fence regarding US involvement in their country, and with the recent escalation of occupying forces; I think it only heightens their suspicions. So flooding the country with troops is not the answer and it will only embolden more civilians to take up arms and side with the Taliban. Plus, throughout the annals of history the Afghans have been a warlike people and have been very protective of their territory. Historians call it "the Graveyard of Empires," going back to Alexander the Great and now the United States, and all subjugation and occupational attempts have been utter failures.

So in other words, it is no cake walk even for a military as sophisticated as the United State's. The US has to earn the trust of the Afghans and be better salesmen than their Taliban counterparts. However, as mentioned earlier, the Taliban has an 8 year advantage in that department. Success begins with the trust and understanding of the Afghan people and if that isn't achieved then all military involvement is futile and insignificant in the greater scheme of things. The US cannot afford another money pit like they experienced with Vietnam some 30 years ago.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Jakes51]

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
HELLO?!

Of COURSE they're getting stronger?!

That is what tends to happen when people who would ordinarilly not get into the idealism the Taliban provides, witness US forces, anally raping children and adults with rifle muzzles and broom handles.

What do the US commanders expect as a result, cheering them on?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have been sitting here reading the headlines from the MSM sources and I've been noticing a possible pattern. Are parts of the fragmented Taliban falling apart? I've read some of the following reports on the Taliban training young boys for their cause now I know some will say it's just the next generation of fighters which is a very real possibility. No doubt. but could it be...

Pakistan army says Taliban training boys to fight

MINGORA, Pakistan — In a voice barely above a whisper, I.H. stared at his feet as he recounted haltingly how the Taliban kidnapped him and a classmate as they played in the street. They cleaned dishes for a few days in a militant training camp in northern Pakistan before escaping during Friday prayers, he said.

The Pakistani army says it has so far found 20 boys like I.H., who is only being identified by his initials for his safety, in the battle-scarred Swat Valley, scene of a major offensive against the Taliban this spring.

They believe the Taliban hoped to turn the boys into informants, fighters or even suicide bombers. Some escaped, others were rescued by authorities. Maj. Nasir Khan said many more are believed to be in the hands of militants.

We also have another story of the head of the Pakistani Taliban being killed and that there is now a power struggle between the different factions within the organization.

National security adviser: US believes Mehsud dead

WASHINGTON — The United States is nearly certain the Pakistani Taliban's leader is dead, and there now is a leadership struggle within the terrorist group, White House national security adviser James Jones said Sunday.

Claims and counterclaims about Baitullah Mehsud's fate have swirled since a CIA missile strike last Wednesday on his father-in-law's house in Pakistan's rugged, lawless tribal area.

"Mehsud was a very bad individual, a real thug," said Jones, who appeared on three Sunday talk shows. He said the U.S. "put it in the 90 percent category" that Meshud was killed. "This is a big deal," he said.

Nobody outside of my own tinfoil hat thinking has tried to connect these dots. For some reason this just reminds me of another struggle once upon a time where one group was desperate for fighters and turned to their youth to help the struggle. Is this possibly a sign of the end? I'm not making a statement of fact just asking a question. I'm looking forward to your opinion and contributions.

Hitler Youth

By 1945, the Volkssturm was commonly drafting 12-year-old Hitler Youth members into its ranks. During the Battle of Berlin, Axmann's Hitler Youth formed a major part of the last line of German defense, and were reportedly among the fiercest fighters. Although the city commander, General Helmuth Weidling, ordered Axmann to disband the Hitler Youth combat formations; in the confusion, this order was never carried out.

Taliban must resort to propaganda so much for a grassroots movement.

Taliban launch another mouthpiece propaganda in S Afghanistan

"This radio called itself "Da Shariat Ghag Radio" or Radio voice of Sharia (Islamic Laws) have been airing programs on Taliban anti-government activities over the past three days," a resident of Qarabagh district Noor Mohammad told Xinhua.

A local official who declined to be identified also confirmed the report, saying Taliban militants have established their propaganda radio in the province.

What I find rather interesting is the Over the top "Super Human" beliefs in them. They are just like any other group comprised and ran by simple humans who are subject to infighting and potential collapse just like any other group.

Nobody is perfect. This could be the first time a group such as this could see defeat.

Again I'm not stating this as fact. Just speculating is all.

Also it's not Just Americans.

NATO chief wants more troops in Afghanistan

"Honestly speaking, I think we need more troops," Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the former Danish prime minister who took over as head of NATO this month, said from Kabul.

"I have seen progress in the south (of Afghanistan), not least thanks to the increase in the number of troops, so definitely the number of troops matters," he told BBC radio.

NATO has almost 65,000 troops in Afghanistan, with contributions from more than 40 countries, although around half of them are American. The United States has a further 36,000 troops operating outside the NATO umbrella.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If we are ever going to truly win in this particular theater of combat we need to change our course of action and win this war as quickly as possible. It is time to pull the ground forces back and launch an all out air strike in these heated combat zones and taliban strongholds. Fighting cave to cave and door to door is utterly foolish in this long disputed land. We can't win that type of war in Afghanistan without severe troop losses.

The skies over this region need to look like the skies over Nuremberg.

It is time to end this nonsense once and for all with the might of NATO air superiority. Sift through the rubble later with our ground forces.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Afghanistan nice and close to the US, is it ? Taliban causing havoc in Dallas and NYC, killing and raping innocent Americans in Wallmart ?

Afghanis broken the US banks and bankrupted retirement funds .. they're slipping poison into Seattle's water supply and polluting the poppy seeds on bread baked in Los Angles ?

Why exactly are Americans murdering Afghanis and Iraqis? You'll need to explain it all again, because so far there hasn't really been anything approaching an honest justification for these 'wars' -- other than the massive profits gained by some at the cost of so many apparently 'cheap' American, Iraqi and Afghani lives.

But hey, don't let anyone hold you back, seeing you're so enthusiastic about an increase in the mass murder -- grab your rifle and off you go. Sounds as if it would do you the world of good to see Afghanis face to face. Then you can tell them of your grand plans to bomb them off the face of the earth. You're up for that aren't you --- you wouldn't mind being there, on the ground, toe to toe with these people for whom you have such little concern, would you ?

Maybe you should hurry. Hop away from that screen and grab your passport and away you go. Send a postcard

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't buy it.

How can an organization that fell as soon as the US stepped into their country be making a comeback?

The US has been knocking off their leaders, and they've been getting stronger. The US has superior technology and training and their getting stronger? The US kills indiscriminately and they're getting stronger?
What is the Taliban? Is it real? Hows does the US know who or what is a Taliban? Are they "terrorists" or a "real army"? Is there a difference?

Why does nothing make any sense in regards to this war?

I bet this "commander" is either a fool, or insane, or just lying. Possibly just running his mouth to dramatize things and revel in his 15 min of fame. Of course I guess if he's that egotistical then that might fall under insane.

Look, I don't know whats goin on over there, and don't think anyone over there knows whats goin on either. What's progress in that region? I mean what is it?

why is the US there?

wtf?

dumb.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Of course things aren't going well. Afghanistan is a giant black hole. The war over there will never end. It's going to be worse than Vietnam because it's hidden under the guise of the War on Terror. Americans have been brainwashed into fearing sandal wearing, AK-47 toting, goat herders with IED's.

Well if it isn't the sandal wearing ak-47 toting goat herders who are detonating the IED's then who is it?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

That's a leading question, isn't it ?

Makes one think

And leads to a number of possible conclusions

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
If we are ever going to truly win in this particular theater of combat we need to change our course of action and win this war as quickly as possible. It is time to pull the ground forces back and launch an all out air strike in these heated combat zones and taliban strongholds. Fighting cave to cave and door to door is utterly foolish in this long disputed land. We can't win that type of war in Afghanistan without severe troop losses.

The skies over this region need to look like the skies over Nuremberg.

It is time to end this nonsense once and for all with the might of NATO air superiority. Sift through the rubble later with our ground forces.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by jibeho]

Jibeho... we have found something that you and I completely agree upon.

I supported going into Afghanistan. Plus, I've always believed that you can't fight a moral war without doing what is the most necessary to win. Get in, put the smack-down, and let them lean on you as they build themselves back up... All the while injecting your DNA into the result.

UPDATE: After reading Slayers links further in, I have come to the realization that the situation on the ground is not as simple as carpet bombing a solution into existence.

Jibeho, I still agree with your intent, but it looks like that type of warfare isn't going to solve the issue on the ground now. Although one would have to think that a massive ground force, and I do mean massive, think D-Day, would do the trick.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Have you studied the topography of Afghanistan? You know how many mountains exist in that country? How many caves and hiding places? Plus did you miss the part about Taliban blending in the with the locals? I guess we should just bomb everyone and everything in that country right? Typical GI Joe macho nonsense.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

When was the last time a goat herding, Ak-47 toting Taliban insurgent exploded a bomb in our shopping malls? When was the last time they came ashore and started bombing Americans and killing us? Most of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi Arabians. Is it the Taliban who has sent our jobs overseas? Is it the Taliban who continues to grow marijuana in our National Forests and Parks? We have a hell of a lot of problems in this country and "terrorism" is not one of them. Open borders and illegal immigration is a much bigger threat than all the Taliban and opium production could ever be. The War on Terror is a complete and utter farce.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

And where are you, exactly, right now ?

Posting from a cave 200 metres from an Afghani stronghold ?

Drinking your own urine and eating goat droppings, because you're an intrepid explorer/adventurer/soldier of fortune/US patriot ?

You're ready to tear out your jugular before they'll get a thing out of you ?

You're battle-hardened ? You can run all day in the blazing sun with a 30 pound pack on your back ? You can strip down your rifle and whip around in an instant and shoot the eye out of that crow 600 metres away, even with the sun in your eyes ? You've experienced hand to hand combat ?

Or, you're a plump, soft boy who does nothing more physical than pounding a keyboard from your folks' basement in between applying for jobs you're unqualified to do --- and playing armchair general, regurgitating 'tough talk' you plagiarised from computer games and getting yourself all excited with talk of 'injecting DNA' ?

No. No. Don't tell me. Don't even give me a hint. I know the answer already

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Actions speak louder than words buddy. If you support the war so much why aren't you over there fighting for what you believe in?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

www.foxnews.com

President Obama has put securing Afghanistan near the top of his foreign policy agenda, but "victory" in the war-torn country isn't necessarily the United States' goal, he said Thursday in a TV interview.

"I'm always worried about using the word 'victory,' because, you know, it invokes this notion of Emperor Hirohito coming down and signing a surrender to MacArthur," Obama told ABC News.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
reply to post by jibeho

Afghanistan nice and close to the US, is it ? Taliban causing havoc in Dallas and NYC, killing and raping innocent Americans in Walmart ?

Why exactly are Americans murdering Afghanis and Iraqis? You'll need to explain it all again.

It's simply really. Get them in their own backyard before they have a chance to get to ours. Offensive tactics.

Although I believe being on Defense in North America is a better idea?...

Either way. This is only stirring up more, future, "terrorists"....
So, I can't see America/NATO leaving the Middle East ever.

EVER.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Of course! What more could we expect from a back peddling moronic President. LOL. I mean this guy will say and do anything to weasel his way out of the truth and taking a position on anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join