It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,500 requests a day to 'spy' on public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

1,500 requests a day to 'spy' on public

uk.news.yahoo.com

Fears have been raised about the scale of the UK's "surveillance state" after it was revealed 1,500 requests to snoop on the public were made every day last year.

Councils, police and the intelligence services asked more than 500,000 times for approval to access private email and phone data, according to official figures.

Each request allows public authorities access to communications data - which includes records of phone, email and text messages - but not their content.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-8-2009 by MightyAl]

[edit on 10-8-2009 by MightyAl]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
At least they were kind enough to request approval and not just go for it without a warrant! haha Nevertheless, is 500,000 a year really necessary?

I wonder what kind of data they are seeking in the majority of eavesdrops...

Better be careful, mates! Don't mess with the wanna be authorities!

And because I have to add more words to this commentary, I will just add meaningless words that will allow this article to be posted on ATS...1, 2, 3, and...

it's posted!

uk.news.yahoo.com

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MightyAl
At least they were kind enough to request approval and not just go for it without a warrant! haha Nevertheless, is 500,000 a year really necessary?
uk.news.yahoo.com

Even the figure of 500,000 sounds suspect to me, really an oddly round number for it to have ended up near (although clearly not impossible.) That's probably just rounded down though I guess.

In any event, I'd be willing to bet my house on this not being entirely true and merely a smokescreen. We know the GCHQ among others have the ability to 'snoop' into anything they wish, I really doubt what the local councils are looking into is what we should really be fearful of.

Nice find, but I'd believe this is just yet another smokescreen to tempt the Sheeple into believing Big Brother is being honest and trustworthy.

Big Brother is watching you, and of course more than they admit.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Remember, remember.....

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What I find hilarious, the Government, hit back saying the actual numbers are less than they were last year.

OH!!!!!!!! is that right, I would love to know how many were under survelliane last year also.

Makes it worse that councils are even allowed to do this. I bet those working in the councils would not be happy, if they found out someone was secretly bugging thier phones, reading thier emails, just to see what they are up to.

new topics

top topics

join