It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP INVESTIGATION: SC gov's plane use questioned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford used state aircraft for personal and political trips, often bringing along his wife and children — contrary to state law regarding official use, an Associated Press investigation has found.

Records reviewed by the AP show that since he took office in 2003, the two-term Republican has taken trips on state aircraft to locations of his children's sporting events, hair and dentist appointments, political party gatherings and a birthday party for a campaign donor.

On March 10, 2006, a state plane was sent to pick up Sanford in Myrtle Beach and return him to Columbia, the state capital, at a cost of $1,265 — when his calendar showed his only appointment in Columbia was "personal time" at his favorite discount hair salon. He had flown to Myrtle Beach on a private plane and attended a county GOP event.

According to state budget law, "Any and all aircraft owned or operated by agencies of the State Government shall be used only for official business."

In fact, state law requires the Aeronautics Division to collect and keep sworn statements from aircraft users certifying flights were for official business within 48 hours of flights. Sanford's office routinely filed that paperwork days or weeks late and the division destroys documents more than three years old.

"They're actually destroying data that the Legislature gave them no permission to destroy. That's like destroying evidence," said state Sen. David Thomas, a Republican congressional candidate who has begun holding legislative hearings into Sanford's use of state funds.

Added Thomas: "It's an overwhelming ethical issue here. To me, this is clear misuse of state property."

Any public official found to have used state property for personal financial gain is subject to as much as a $5,000 fine and five years in prison. Only incidental use that does not result in additional public expense is exempt.

Unbelievable what these politicians force taxpayers to pay for. I mean really he had taxpayers fork out $1,265 so that he could make it back in time to get his hair cut ! Over $5,000 for five trips from the "family plantation" at thanksgiving to light the state Christmas tree
. Book signings, birthday parties, his children's football & soccer games, dentist appointments, etc, none of these things sound like official state business to me.

No wonder this country's in such a mess. Some politicians get into office and then think they have free reign to charge taxpayers for their personal lifestyles. If he is actually guilty of misusing state planes on the taxpayer's dime i certainly hope they make him pay back every cent of that money !

The governor has made a political career out of being outwardly thrifty — known to demand that state employees use both sides of Post-It notes. He has frequently railed against government spending, and attempted for months to block federal stimulus money for South Carolina schools.

Yeah save a couple pennies of taxpayer's money by using both sides of a post it note, so he can waste tens, or hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer's money on his personal trips, i think this man's head is screwed on backwards !

Visit link for full story....

news.yahoo.com...;_ylc=X3o'___'I1NzZyc3Q3BFJfYWlkAwRSX2RtbgN5YWhvby5jb20EUl9maWQDYmRhMGMzMzU0 NTFiYmY2YjY0Y2Q0MWRlYjBiYWRlNDYEUl9sdHADMQ--

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Quite shocking to see this mans blatant disregard for the American people. While there is a part of me that is not suprised...I am disgusted!

Imagine the contempt! Stanford literally used his position as a public servant as a means to carry on in a lifestlye he couldd never afford in a private sector job! How convenient for him. How unfair to the taxpayer.

And you are right chise, no wonder this county is in such bad shape! With the Feds being the crooks that they are, and men like this in office...we hardly stand a chance!

No wonder folks are taking to the streets in protest!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Yes i believe the people are finally starting to realize what these politicians are all about. Outwardly condemning big government spending, while using their positions to force the taxpayers to pay for their personal expenses, trying to force a healthcare reform down our throats that they themselves don't want any part of.

It's no different than the banks using our money to take their vacations at their luxury resorts and give their CEO's their golden parachutes. No wonder the politicians let them get away with behavior like that, politicians and corporate bigwigs birds of a feather, it's disgusting. We need to do something about the turn this country has taken.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I wish I could say it was as simple as voting them all out when it comes time. Take one out, another one springs up in thier place!

It seems as if these public servants all hold themselves above accountability!

You know it is getting bad when we hope the opposing side catches the corruption, so they can gain more power to perpetrate more corruption!

Going there in a handbasket!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

That's the problem, they don't need to be voted out of office, almost every single one of them needs to be thrown out of office and our government completely overhauled with a limit of one term for everyone and full accountability.

We have a problem here in Chicago with the fact that no one will even run against our mayor anymore so we have no hope of him getting voted out.

Them and the cops both.

There's no going, we've already gone.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

What amazes me is the nerve of this governor. As you said, the corrupt ones need to be thrown out!

This man has no shame! He has exposed himself...not even to shield his family, his children or his beloved ex-lover has he stepped down. Apparently he thinks he is the prize, and we all deserve him!

I can only hope he is made to repay all the the tax dollars he spent!

He wil drag it out...he will not resign! He should be impeached!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

It kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it, as to why he hasn't been forced out of office after all that is coming out about him ?

I wonder why they continue to leave him in office while constantly bringing to public attention his misdeeds. Could it be that they are trying to keep the public distracted from something bigger by keeping them occupied with him ?

[edit on 8/11/2009 by chise61]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Possible...use him and his stedfast selfishness. Also...to make sure everyone gets "sick and tired" of Republicans. Make an example out of him!

Stanford is no dummy in that sense...where is he going to be employed after this?

Ha...I guess if Clinton still lives, he will to!

new topics

top topics

join