It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the issue of God and homosexuality all about?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm really quite curious to know the answer here. I don't get the whole homosexual God correlation. I'm new to this whole God thing so you must forgive me if I am ignorant.

Before I put in my thoughts on the matter I'd like to see some feedback.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Glad I could inspire you

Incase you missed it

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Glad I could inspire you

Incase you missed it

I thought it was a question worthy of it's own thread. I honestly don't get it.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

This thread is too obscure, by God you must be referring to the perspective of a religion, which religion?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus

This thread is too obscure, by God you must be referring to the perspective of a religion, which religion?

You know I'm not really sure. THe only religion that I have heard about that seems to have issues with homosexuality is Judeo-Christianity or is it just Chistianity?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I personally do not view this as pertaining to religion per-say. However that is my standpoint.

Regarding my views - I think it is a matter of morals and what one bases morals off of.

Most would agree that the religious side of the house base their morals off of their scriptual text and what it teaches them. That is where homosexuality is condemned...morally...not religiously.

I personally do not see the problem. I've always had the belief that life was given to us separately so that we could live it separately.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I don't know what reason God would have because I don't think one can know a god's exact reasoning (any more than I can know yours without asking you.) But I think maybe the god of the bible considers sex in general wrong unless it's for procreation purposes. Since homosexuality produces no offspring, it would be seen as a purely lustful act. Also, maybe he knew about sexually transmitted diseases, and having unnecessary sex in general leads to a greater proliferation of diseases.

On the other hand, it may be possible for two women in the future to have children through the scientific process of parthenogenesis so you may want to take that into consideration of any theories.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
"But I think maybe the god of the bible considers sex in general wrong unless it's for procreation purposes."

If this is the case, then the Bible was written by some hypocritical uptight Puritanical control freaks. Big surprise there. It is all about instilling fear and guilt into people to control them. Obviously, human beings have some problems.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by Razimus

You know I'm not really sure. THe only religion that I have heard about that seems to have issues with homosexuality is Judeo-Christianity or is it just Chistianity?

Homosexuality in the Muslim religion is a crime worthy of death.

You sound like someone that has done no research into the subject, and you ask us in an ATS thread as if we're going to give you all the answers you seek, to be honest you will find few answers to your questions by asking people here or there, you need to actually research these things for yourself, I assume you are referring to the passages in the old testament, well if you want to know what passages those are do a simple google search, I'm sure there's thousands of websites dedicated to those passages alone.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

From my studies of the Bible I can tell you that I do not see condemnation of sex if it is not for procreation. Maybe I have missed it, but several books have language about sexual relations in a positive manner with no consideration of procreation.

Homosexuality is condemned in the Old Testament but is not really addressed in the New Testament, leaving things, in my opinion sort of open ended.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

While I said it was my opinion, it was based on a lot of reading and I don't know of any particular verse that would answer the OP's question. But here are some verses that led me to those conclusions.

1Corinthians 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
1Co 7:8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
1Co 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
NIV translates this as "if they cannot control themselves, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn with passion"
1Co 7:28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.
1Co 7:32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
1Co 7:33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
1Co 7:34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

So it is pretty clear that the bible would rather you not marry, and it is pretty clear that sex outside of marriage is forbidden.

Also, you said homosexuality isn't forbidden in the new testament. But it does appear to be in Romans 1:26-27, 1Corinthians 6:9-10, and 1Timothy 1:10.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Alright, if you believe in the Bible you believe God designed humans as male and female and only male and female should get it on because that's God's plan and that's what he ordered. It really is that simple, but to add a little.

Homosexuality being bad isn't from the Christian religion. It's a hold over from the Old Testament (a different religion) by the way, but it's still held over.

The Jews were slaves in Egypt and were taken out of Egypt and God made a covenant with them. The same as with Abraham and Noah and so on. He wanted to make them his "Holy" people. To do that they had to follow all these rules. They had to live by a "higher" standard then they "USED" to. In other words, they used to do this stuff all the time, but now they can't anymore.

Leviticus 18.
The LORD said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the LORD your God. You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live.

The purpose of these laws were that God's holy people would be different than everybody else. They had to live a higher standard of living to appear holy to other cultures. Also, sometimes the laws in the Bible don't even have a logical reason. Sometimes they're simply to set you apart from the other cultures. Like, one is you can't trim or shave unless you follow certain rules or get tattoos. Why? Just because that's what the Pagans did. No other reason than that.

Homosexuality may have been looked down upon by other cultures. Don't believe me? What would most people think of a homosexual priest? It'd be a late night news scandal right? Exactly what God was trying to avoid. Too bad the priests don't understand this. It's hard to get converts when you have a sex scandal in the papers. Okay and I don't hate homosexuals because I'm not supposed to judge, but the priests signed up for the job and volunteered you know? But okay I'm judging now so let's move along.

Anyway, the reward in the OT for people that followed God's law is that their family line would multiply like "sand on the beach" and they would be given the holy land.

To be a homosexual would mean it was totally pointless. You'd be doing all that work for nothing because you could never reap your reward of having crap loads of children. Since it's a reward from God that would be a pretty big deal if you rejected it.

More importantly, you wouldn't be creating more people that worshiped God. Fruitful and multiply right? Another reason why sex must always be for the purpose of procreation and not just a good ol time. So there'd be more of them when war time came to take the land that God had promised them.

And most importantly, it's because God told them NOT TO DO IT. Which if you read the OT you will see that's a big deal. And yes that may make you think religion is retarded, but I'm not going to lie about how it works.

But then when Christianity came along it's basically a new religion built on the old one that stills believes God created man and women to be together and that's the way it should be because if you're a Christian you're not to go against God's word or design.

So, even in the OT where men had multiple wives, Jesus said, no no. It's meant to be ONE man and ONE women, but they would not listen in Moses's time. That's what Jesus said. He also said that if you have sex you MUST be married.

Homosexuality is a sin in the Christian religion because you're not married and God doesn't recognize homosexual marriages because that's not the way he intended it to be so they can never be married in God's eyes.

Let it be known that I'm not saying it isn't natural. Some people are confused by this. God's plan and nature -- two different things. Homosexuality is completely natural, but not part of God's plan for his holy people.

You see, in the Bible the women is the man's other half or missing piece. You know, the rib and all? Putting two men together or two women together wouldn't exactly fix the problem. This is why they believe that.
EDIT: This is what the philosophy is based on at heart, but yet it's infinitely more complicated and layered over than that.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that, if you can hack it, the ultimate goal is actually to be celibate. After all, don't need more worshipers for fighting the war now that the war is over right?

But that's right, Jesus would prefer it if you didn't have sex AT ALL and dedicated your life to him. Only for the ones that can't handle having no sex, which is most everyone including myself, does Jesus tell to get married.

Okay, but don't think I'm trying to convert you. You can choose to believe it or not. I'm just explaining what the book says when you read it and how many interpret it. If that's true or not or if you agree with it, is of course up to you.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by tinfoilman]

new topics

top topics

join