It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask an Atheist.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Lol, let me just say I love you man
Why your not on my friends list bewilders me!

Soon to be though.

If your not aware one of the things that brought me here was 2012 (which I forsake) and Quantum Physics, I have so many books it's ridiculous, and dictionaries for each book

I detest the idea that I am god, because then you are god, and so Is a dying child in africa, that is a despicable god in my eyes. I do understand the perceivers of reality, although I doubt this is the case for a few reasons.

It is possible for me not to exist, yet to exist at the same time, Multiple Dimensions! Ohh that's a fun topic for fantasy and reality to just baffle each other!

As i've said with other members and even perhaps yourself, befuddle me, baffle me, question me, for that I can either sharpen my sword or draw another one. Understandably.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Well, because god is within that person in Africa is why the commandments are mostly dealing with who you treat others, and why they are called sins against god. The commandments we pretty much follow because we understand them, and are not because of, or a result of religion. Do not kill, do not steal and so forth is just the result of common sense and being able to put yourself on the other side of things in which you are able to understand how it would feel.

Why we would choose such things is beyond me, and I dislike it very much. All I can say is that we do, and that also remains a fact regardless of religion or belief.

On the other hand though, one might say - if we are all god, isn't it about time we started acting like it? That kind of stuff isn't really divine is it? In fact, I think it's a pretty strong argument it's rather ignorant of us.

I don't keep a friends list, so no worries about that. To say one person is my friend is to say the rest aren't.

[edit on 8/10/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Or it means when you see the green bar pay special attention to this one, either a opposing view or liking view.

Why exactly do you think we are all god? If that is what you think, I may be wrong granted it's getting a wee bit late.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Or it means when you see the green bar pay special attention to this one, either a opposing view or liking view.

Why exactly do you think we are all god? If that is what you think, I may be wrong granted it's getting a wee bit late.

Father(what you would consider to be god) and Son(you) is simply a matter of change in perspective. From that which is unlimited and all knowing(father) to the limited perspective and experience of this reality(son).

That was actually the very first thing I understand and knew after my "change" from not knowing to knowing.

Here's a good movie about these kinds of things. Doesn't really promote a certain view or anything, but discusses many ideas and debates about things.

Google Video Link

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

www.skepdic.com...

And I'm sure a simple google will lead you to understand the propaganda of NDE.

Noone really talks about the guy that died then was revived with a normal sense.

They love the guy with the amazing story.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Thanks for the video, I watched up until a little part after the car accident, will watch the whole thing tomorrow night though after work

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Hi,

I am also an atheist. I am one of "those" that has never believed in a God in the sense of "One omnipotent and omnipresent entity, who also happens to be the creator of the universe" or felt the need to do so. If the OP doesn't mind, I would also like to answer some of the questions people may post. Thanks.

P.S. The fact that I don't believe in a "God" doesn't mean I will not entertain the idea of an afterlife etc... An afterlife, paranormal phenomena and others can, in my opinion, quite happily exist in a framework without God. I will not deny the existence of these things, just because they are not sufficiently proven.

[edit on 10/8/2009 by Voiceoftreason]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voiceoftreason
Hi,

I am also an atheist. I am one of "those" that has never believed in a God in the sense of "One omnipotent and omnipresent entity, who also happens to be the creator of the universe" or felt the need to do so. If the OP doesn't mind, I would also like to answer some of the questions people may post. Thanks.

I must answer, since a question was technically posed.

YES!

I'd be very appreciative if you'd help contribute answers, as my fingers are all but broken from trying to respond

Help would be appreciated, also love the Putin avatar, that is him right?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
What do atheists believe lies beyond the grave ( nothing?) and as an atheist how do you account for near death experiences?

also

Why do most atheist look to science for answers when most scientists are religious? and do you personally believe in evolution (even with all the evidence for it being fabricated, such as mismatched bones)

i myself would consider myself a corss between an atheist and a pagan of sorts, so im just curious what you make of the above questions.

thanks.

This atheist cannot discount the possibility of an afterlife. This is not to say, that I believe in one. In fact in my opinion, fear of "the great void" is one of the main reasons why people turn to religion. Dealing with dying when you don't believe in an afterlife is, after all a biggie.

The question re atheists looking to science for answers seems to be strongly loaded;
Please source that "most scientists are religious". This may be the case in the US, where most of the population is indeed christian. But then again, a distinction needs to be made between "christian" and "religious", even when perusing statistics. As for Europe, for example, Christianity seems to be dying out.

And yes, I do believe in evolution, simply because it seems to be the closest thing to how things actually are, although as a theory it is far from perfect.
I will just about ignore the comment about the evidence for it being fabricated, after all we are adults, not kids, right?

And yes, that is Vlad Punktin in my avatar.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Voiceoftreason

Also if you'd be obliged to feel free to see the questions i've answered and if you feel you could answer better or elaborate more upon, please feel free to do so, as sometimes I seem to be a bit sloppy

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Thanks for the video, I watched up until a little part after the car accident, will watch the whole thing tomorrow night though after work

Well, you got through the slowest part of the movie. After that point is where it starts to get interesting and the ideas start getting thrown around.

It pretty much shows tons of different perspectives on things. It's really really good stuff, and great brain food for things to ponder on - regardless of what ones existing beliefs are.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Would You say it's like the movie "The Air I Breathe". I greatly enjoyed that one.

The Air I Breathe.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Why do you not think it silly to consider anything which is beyond your limited perspective is by default false?

Doesn't really work all that well for the ostrich.

Please elaborate on our "limited perspective".

Speaking for myself, as I'm sure Republican can speak for himself:

I don't consider things false by default. In fact I try and critically analyze them, based on available evidence and my own limited life experience.
The things I don't believe, or don't believe in, have simply failed the analysis completely. Those that haven't failed completely, I will consider them to be possible.

By the way, it seems to work quite well for the Ostrich, as it's not extinct. The lesson from that one is, that it seems to be working even though we don't know why it works and consider it funny to boot.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

bro you are not God.
you cannot answer questions that you yourself don't understand.
that is why you aren't god.

The world is divided up between those who believe in God, and those who don't.
a subgroup are those who've seen god, and to the other extreme, those who haven't.
It is those who haven't that have hinted and continue to hint towards what I have seen that keep the faith strong.
Check yuself.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

bro you are not God.
you cannot answer questions that you yourself don't understand.
that is why you aren't god.

The world is divided up between those who believe in God, and those who don't.
a subgroup are those who've seen god, and to the other extreme, those who haven't.
It is those who haven't that have hinted and continue to hint towards what I have seen that keep the faith strong.
Check yuself.

I am god and I am arguing with myself. But the father is what you are talking about, and as Jesus would say - the father is much greater than I am.

I am simply recognizing the father within, and what the true self is and what gives us the ability to observe, understand, reason and that sense of "I am". Thus, the "I am arguing with myself" part. I also recognize it in others.

You seem to be simply going off the faith of what men have told you, and so you have not yet been born of the spirit. If you had been born of the spirit, then you wouldn't deny in me what you lack. If you think about it, that is the human condition - to deny in others what we ourselves lack.

Psalm 82

1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

And what you will know on the day you are born again.

John 14

20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Sorry, but I have little need or use for fear tactics of those who have only accepted what men tell them. As if who I am to make such a claim? But to deny the very things which have been given to me - that would be shameful.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light , not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of god. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make and manifest the glory of god that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-Marianne Williamson

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

You're and atheist so you seem to me as an intelligent person. As an intelligent person here on this thread what are your intentions? What are you trying to accomplish here?

I am sure you are aware of all the evil being done around the world whether religious or not. What are you doing to help? Why are you trying divide the common person by labeling each person theist or atheist? I also understand that religious people tend to separate themselves into groups, but shouldn't you have surpassed that? We are all on this little rock together and there is enough division amongst us, we don't need another group.

Why are Atheists different from theists? You have no belief in a God yet wouldn't you have a belief system? Isn't your system based on faith, since you have no sure knowledge of there being not a God?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voiceoftreason
Please elaborate on our "limited perspective".

Speaking for myself, as I'm sure Republican can speak for himself:

I don't consider things false by default. In fact I try and critically analyze them, based on available evidence and my own limited life experience.
The things I don't believe, or don't believe in, have simply failed the analysis completely. Those that haven't failed completely, I will consider them to be possible.

Well lets see. All you need to do is look at how much of the light spectrum is actually visible, and how limited the light is.

Look at how big the universe is, entire worlds and solar systems appear as a faint dot. Pretty limited.

If the universe is in the range of 14 billion years old, you have been present only a extremely small portion of that time.

So, we see an absurdly small amount of the light spectrum, of which we see an absurdly small amount of even the known universe, of which is merely but a long decimal point followed by a bunch of 0's before a one of the entire time of the known universe.

And yet, if that weren't enough, we only see them from our 1 and only perspective, when there are many different perspectives of this universe.

Take a statue, put it in the center of the square. Put 4 people at each end and let them view from only that end. And unless they realize they saw but 1 single tiny perspective of the same exact statue, they might end up arguing over exactly what that statue looks like. All because they only got a limited perspective of the statue, and denied it in others.

By the way, it seems to work quite well for the Ostrich, as it's not extinct. The lesson from that one is, that it seems to be working even though we don't know why it works and consider it funny to boot.

maybe they feel sorry for the ostrich. Btw, do you know how to catch a monkey?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

You're and atheist so you seem to me as an intelligent person. As an intelligent person here on this thread what are your intentions? What are you trying to accomplish here?

I am sure you are aware of all the evil being done around the world whether religious or not. What are you doing to help? Why are you trying divide the common person by labeling each person theist or atheist? I also understand that religious people tend to separate themselves into groups, but shouldn't you have surpassed that? We are all on this little rock together and there is enough division amongst us, we don't need another group.

Why are Atheists different from theists? You have no belief in a God yet wouldn't you have a belief system? Isn't your system based on faith, since you have no sure knowledge of there being not a God?

Excruciatingly long quote I know, but I have to to keep up lol.

My intentions are merely those of many, to gather intelligence, whether to further my belief or find a better belief, but to keep on a track at all times.

Nothing really to accomplish, just to gather information.

Evil is defined by the seer, anyone can see something as evil and another can see it as not evil.

A thug in the ghetto can see killing another gang member as good, and another can see it as evil. savvy.

What do I do to help, I do my littlest, I give blood, I contribute, and I am very young, and absorb as much knowledge as I can till I have the oppurtunity to give my knowledge, albeit why not gather it.

A smaller group yet a wiser group is a better group then a bias group.

You sir can say the same of people who preached of Zeus, and such. Why should we all not praise zeus and have alters of him, since you cannot prove his non existance, and such even if you can maybe he outgrew it and became larger
It can go on and on.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

I'll take the liberty of trying to answer this one... Personally I thought I would take part in this thread in order to facilitate a little more understanding between those that believe and those that do not. I think it's always helpful to get an appreciation of where other people stand and why. I don't think the OP made any statements about "doing something to help". Therefore I do not understand that part of the question. Unless it's meant to be a bit of a poke in his general direction.

As for my system being based on faith, because I'm not sure there isn't a god?
No. I have no faith in the non-existence of god.

Why are atheists different from theists? Because atheists say they don't believe in the existence of god. You cannot believe in something unless you are satisfied it exists. Theists make the assumption there is a God, and think that he (she, it) is worthy of believing in.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Of course people at the four corners will view the statue differently.
Of course you postulate a real statue.
The "statue" we are debating here is a bit of an imaginary one. (With due respect to the theists, I'm only presenting my view).
I have not been shown the actual statue, therefore I will not believe in its' existence, until I see it. When we all see it, then we can have debates about what it looks like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join