It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

snapped- UFO piercing through Saturn ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Interesting image! I wonder what the heck this thing is!?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I heard somewhere they actually mine the rings of Saturn...no PROOF of course, but thought I'd let you know - Thanks for posting S&F!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Hi, contemplator.

No. This time it is NOT UFO, but a small Saturn moon. . .
See CAREFULY the MANY images and videos, there:

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Blue skies.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The consensus is no one knows, even top astronomers. Can you validate your stance that this is a moon? THIS particular object? It looks cigar shaped to me. Articles all over the net say they do not know.
gizmodo.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

More accurately posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

With a likely explanation here: NASA Cassini Image: Sawtooth Shadows On Saturn's Rings

What makes you believe this is UFO related?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

the op discusses something that happened with the f ring; your "likely explanation" is discussing something about the A ring...are we to take it that the same phenomenon is taking place at both rings?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
It's hard to say for sure, since most scientists don't even have an answer yet, but my opinion is that it is something natural. I could be wrong, but there is little reason to believe it is a UFO. I like to keep an open mind though, so I won't rule anything out, but a natural occurrence is by far the most reasonable explanation.

I know many people don't always believe NASA, especially not on this forum, but I'm with them on this one. From their website:

Scientists are working to understand the origin of structures such as this one, but they think this image may show the shadow of an object on an inclined orbit which has punched through the F ring and dragged material along in its path.

Definitely sounds about right to me. Now, for some info about the picture:

This view looks toward the unilluminated side of the rings from about 27 degrees above the ring plane.

The image was taken in visible light with the Cassini spacecraft narrow-angle camera on June 11, 2009. The view was acquired at a distance of approximately 866,000 kilometers (538,000 miles) from Saturn and at a Sun-Saturn-spacecraft, or phase, angle of 30 degrees. Image scale is 5 kilometers (3 miles) per pixel.

Damn... If that is of extraterrestrial origin, then that baby is huge! Better hope they're friendly...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It's an interesting image...saved to a folder on my hard drive immediately. Cassini has taken some fantastic images. Those 'marvelous men and their flying machines (NASA)' planned for Cassini to be perfectly placed for the August equinox. The long shadows cast across the rings would make identifying moonlets much easier.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18b084b3ad17.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
If it is some sort of cigar ufo, then seems a great place to pick up material for fuel would be to skim into one of the rings like a whale feeding..

top topics

join