It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS has been invaded

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

i remember having a conversation with a guy about biblical principles. i didn't use any of the bible venacular to do so. he had no idea i was talking to him in paraphrased bible language (my paraphrasing of course). he wholeheartedly agreed with the premises of the conversation. the moment he found out i was talking to him about biblical concepts in normal venacular, he went ballistic and accused me of being a hindu.

I had the same thing happen to me I quoted a profound wisdom teaching scripture from the Bible to a Buddhist
He went crazy over it, asking "wow" where is that quote from, Buddhist teachings, the Rig Veda?

When I said the Bible, there was nothing but silence,

And BTW, OP, you do Know that African Americans who overwhelmingly supported Obama are some of the most devout Christians on the planet, don't you?

But interestingly enough not Reverend Kings niece, is Dr. Alveda King

King says Obama does a disservice to the black community and the nation as a whole by advocating abortion yet promoting other human rights. “We can talk about poverty; we can talk about the war; we can talk about teen pregnancy; we can talk about incarceration. However, if we’re not allowed to live, we’ll never encounter those issues,” she says. King recalls her Uncle Martin saying, “The Negro cannot win as long as he is willing to sacrifice the lives of his children for comfort and safety.” For Alveda King, abortion is a civil rights issue. “Every aborted baby is like a slave in the womb of his or her mother,” she explains. “The mother decides his or her fate.” “In the shadow of the famous ‘I Have a Dream’ speech by my uncle in 1963, as Barack Obama makes his speech in 2008, how can the Dream survive if we murder the children?” asks Dr. King concerning the unborn. "Life was very precious to my uncle and life today is precious.”

Number one on my list.

[edit on 103131p://bMonday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

I read your thread before it was modded. Apparently you don't understand what name calling is. "Mindless Zombies" or whatever you had attributed to people who don't agree with your opinion IS name calling, which is one of the things you were complaining about.

In my opinion being a mindless zombie is one that embraces ignorance. One that has decided not to think not one that cannot think. One that lets the MSM form that person opinion instead of having one of there own.

I did not consider it as name calling like if I stated one was an idiot. That would be name calling. I should have said something more politically correct?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by undo

And BTW, OP, you do Know that African Americans who overwhelmingly supported Obama are some of the most devout Christians on the planet, don't you?

I cant stand Obama. I voted independent. Also please read my post that I answered your last one with. I am a moderate, I dont believe in the left right mindthink.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

eek, i'm sorry to hear that happened to you but rest assured that kinda thing happens to everyone at one level or another. let me give YOU an example:

i worked as one of the first females hired for pepsi, at the beginning of the EQUAL OPPORTUNITY program. i was also a christian at the time. young, female, naive. factory full of angry males who wanted the jobs to be solely for men, and who were unhappy with women in their factory. they went to great lengths to get rid of me, not only because i was female though, but also because i was christian. one dropped a bra on my head from 10 ft up and then stood there laughing as if i had never seen a bra before. another posted the centerfold from hustler magazine on my work station while i was on lunchbreak, another followed me around sniffing everywhere i sat and moaned suggestively at me (oh, btw, i was 18 years old), another who was old enough to be my grandfather, walked up and taped two pallet tickets to my nipples while i stood their with my mouth hanging open in complete shock, and yet another dropped a 110 lb roll of steel on my foot.

it happens to all of us for one reason or another. you are not an island unto yourself. welcome to the party

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

"You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need" - Jagger/Richards

Clichéd but fitting.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

He went on a campaign to get me off the Fire Dept. because I was a Pagan.

I see, so that is your beef, I understand why you are upset,

but don't be like them.

I was raised Christian and it is my foundation but have studied many paths, Buddhism, paganism, shamanism, new age, then I wanted to go as far back in time as I possible could to find the roots of religion and spirituality,

We have more in common then not, friend,

See if we get to know each others hearts, I believe most of us want the same thing.

All we have to do is listen and understand, and accept that this is where we are on our path of understanding at this moment in time, and that this is where he is on his path, I know that is hard to accept.

Your encounter with the man who didn't understand your pagan ways was a valuable lesson,

Rise above it and help teach with understanding, he fears that which he doesn't understand.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
In this country ..America we are on the treadmill to cultivating a generation of people raised on movies and television.

Their bailiwick is instant gratification, thinking, and actions. They are easily put on the emotional treadmill after a lifetime of Television and movie programming. Their thoughts are someone elses emotional thoughts as are their beliefs and expectations. Most are totally unaware of it.

It is easy to see after a bit of reading that for many of these posters their emotions tell them what is correct, right, and just. This often has little to do with what is actually correct, right and just but instead what makes their emotions satisfied/fulfilled.

THe body politic pays for and finances public education..which has become a television/movie education. In this manner it is much easier to cultivate a generation of predictable, controllable, malliable, gauranteed voters or electorate. Runaway glandular and emotional levels are necessary to put people on this treadmill. They are on an emotional puppet string and dont even know it.
Much of their ability to think has been hijacked by a poor knowledge and grasp of history..substituted instead by instant gratification emotional default settings.

THe MSM or Main Stream Media is nothing more than a bunch of shills for thier various political parties attempting to hook the public to thier causes....ie..their political party.
THey too will use and abuse the public emotioinally for their political purposes. This is why when one goes back and looks at olde news reels...or listens to some of the olde broadcasts...there was more news and info in them and not quite as tabloid like as is being done today.
THe media must become more and more tabloid like to keep their readers/viewers on the emotional treadmill.
I get highly insulted when I see the MSM doing this fingerprint. Even the much fabled Fox News does this technique. It becomes tiring.

You can tell this about many of the posters on ATS/BTS because when you discuss or post certain ideas or concepts requiring real thought..not emotions...you get very predictable responses. All emotional Drama Queen reactions. Many of these people actually believe that thier emotions are what is just, right, and correct. This is a lifestyle/belief system to them. It is thier religion if you like. Thinking is not...reacting is their bailiwick.

The term or word for putting people on such a predictable, controllable, malliable, gaurantee of how they will react...is whoredom. The stealing, or selling of thier souls to ones cause/causes without many of the even being aware of it having taken place.

Some food for your thinking processes.

Keep this in mind when you view the world around you and the posts on ATS/BTS.

The OP has a valid point. I too notice the quality deteriorating and the emotions climbing.
Emotional Drama and the name calling which often accompany it, is not a good substitute for facts and a well thought out concept expressed in a post.

THanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 10-8-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Now that deserves an applause! Bravo - well said. I would elaborate but I am on thin ice on these boards.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
As I've noted elsewhere, on every messageboard, BBS, mailing list, usnet group, etc. since about 1992, I've heard the "This place was better in the old days" threads start up, whether the "old days" in qyestion were a week or a decade ago. Is ATS, or anyone else, "going to the dogs?"

Well, certainly the net is full of "comunities" that rise and fall and change and mutate. Fortunately we all posess a great filtering method in the human brain that allows us to pretty much ignore whoever you want and just glaze over when their posts show up. Works wonders.

ATS is "policed" sternly yet, for the most part, fairly, by the mods. I appreciate this. I first felt that there were too many rules here, but now I understand a bit that that they are trying to shore up the walls against the waves of trolldom. They keep us from sliding into a greasy puddle of 4chan leeetspeak random noise and keep the signal strong. So they are to be commended, even if I don't agree with every policy personally. And yet at the same time as "keeping people out," ATS has to "draw people in." Its a delicate tightrope, and despite flukes here and there, I think the mods and mgt do an excellent job of walking it, all things told.

As for actual posting habits...Just carry on the conversations that you want over the heads of the trolls. And remember even if other people don't always participate in what looks like a short exchange, many good folks are reading what you write if it truly has some sort of quality.

[edit on 8/10/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I've been visiting this forum since around 2004, and let me tell you that these threads pop up every couple of weeks. Have you ever considered that it was actually you who changed? You probably grew up - I know I sure have.

[edit on 10/8/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The American abortion lobby claims to be an equal-opportunity abortion provider, looking out for the needs and wants of all women. Not so. Big Abortion devotes an inordinate amount of attention to

Blacks,
Hispanics,

and Alaska Natives who,

in proportion to their population, have the highest abortion rates in America.

This is my main beef with BHO. He is a disciple of the Eugenics racist Margaret Sanger
www.littlegreenfootballs2.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by audas

okay now that's not a fair assessment of anyone, including christians in general. just for your consideration:

there are christians who also follow buddhist teachings
there are christians who also follow hindu teachings
there are christians who believe in evolution
there are christians who believe in many of the same things you do and some of the things you do not
there are christians who never post on this site
there are christians on this site, who never get involved in political arguments because they're too controversial
there are christians who are mean horrible people.
conversely, there are people of all walks of life who are mean horrible people

your description of "christians" is an indoctrinated pre-made brainwashing meant to dissuade you from actually considering each person as an individual (which we are!). it's too pat. it's too stereotyped and frankly, it's a bunch of hogwash.

The ones you stated above are so far in the minority its just crazy.

Before I became a Firefighter I was a church consultant. All my bosses and co-workers were Pastors. In this job I visited thousands of Churches and consulted thousands of Pastors. I myself am an Ordained Minister it was a requirement for the job. Want to know something? EVERY Pastor I met WANTS WAR. They say one thing to the public but to a fellow Minister they speak what they actually think. I only met two out of thousands that did not want to be pro-war to bring about he ends times.

I never take my experiences from the Internet. I live them. I hate typing so I always give the readers digest short version but if you knew me in real life you wouldn't know what to think and walk away in total confusion.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
then ask yourself if you joined in on the stomping i got for my 'you cant handle disclosure' thread...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Star and Flag LoneGunMan! This is exactly what I have been thinking lately. I cannot believe some of the stuff people put on this site, but I do ignore most of the trash now and sift through everything until I find one I like. I do find myself using the search alot to read old threads. I do take breaks from posting anything and often just read information, but it seems like opinions are as offensive on this site as they are everywhere else. The way some the threads and posts on here make me think very often that they out to change the sites motto from "deny ignorance" to "deny intelligence", or "deny thinking" "deny everything that is not what you believe in" "deny open mindedness" "embrace the mainstream" etc. I can see how political and religious topics can get heated, but I was stunned how it's actually worse in other topics.

This includes the 9/11 threads which the most mudslinging happens, but the crop circle threads surprised me the most. I would have figured this was one of the best sites to talk about them and people are down right nasty in those threads. I don't know if they have gotten better, but I haven't read them because I got tired of reading all of the bickering. Also, even in fun threads, such as one where someone started a thread about why we chose the avatars we have, and it started off fun then a few people started with the insults and it almost took over the thread. I know there many people on this site on here just to cause a little trouble just because they can but at least they do try to filter that out.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yes, it's always tough when you are confronted by someone with a different, if not blasphemous, antihesis to your belief system but, I welcome these guys. I have made some of my greatest rants with the skeptics and naysayers. If they are truly wrong then they give you fodder for miles to work with to embarrass them. Either they are wrong or they are right. If they are wrong and obviously just a government plant to irrate us.........then call them out and embarrass them with their foolishness. Have fun with them, but you had better research well though.....or they will be the ones having fun.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

is it predominantly baptist in that area? there's also areas that are predominantly mormon, predominantly catholic, and so on and so on. it changes with the area and the belief system.

i remember going to a jethro tull concert when i was 16 years old. main floor seating was standing room only. ..forget what they call that, but there were no chairs on the main floor. so if anyone wanted to go up to the stage and get a close look see, they could do so by making their way threw the crowd.
at the time, i was more paganistic than christian.
anyway, the main floor was populated almost exclusively by males. my friend and i tried to get closer to the stage but every 5 seconds some guy was grabbing my hiney as i was walking threw the crowd.

it was then i realized they had absolutely no respect for your personal space and if you turned around to say "Hey knock it off" ...they'd withdraw their hands real fast and pretend like nothing happened. as i'm sure you are aware your derriere is your personal space .... suffice it to say it was clear why there were no females on the main floor. and it was also clear that walking to the front of the church didn't result in having my tushy grabbed every five seconds.

it was a relief to be amongst people who didn't think life was solely about getting what ever you wanted from whoever you wanted whether they wanted you to or not!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Peace on earth (and elsewhere) and goodwill among men (and others), man.

"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. " -Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948, Article 1.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

[edit on 8/10/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I tried not to deal with the Baptists. I always tried to concentrate on other denominations. Its all different when the Pastors think you are one of them. The most fair of all of them seemed to be the New Methodists. Still when it came down tot he brass tacks they all want to be in rapture and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Sorry to here your path of gender intolerance. No one should have personal space violated.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

i had a teeny tiny bit of trouble with that in christian environment as well but nothing like it was out in the wilds of .....whatever that is... not sure what would be the "religious" component of a jethro tull concert lol

but who wouldn't want to hear this wonderful talent at work? thick as a brick is a masterpiece!

why all the other crap has to come in the same package is beyond me! but those people gots no clue about respecting other people's personal space.

i think what we have here is a misunderstanding. i do not think christians everywhere want to go to war so the rapture will happen. that's really not the way it is.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

This is so true. I'm not a christian myself, but I go with my girlfriend and her family every sunday because it "makes them happy". My girlfriend doesn't like going either because she has other beliefs, but the congregation isn't bad, pastor is a nice guy, I don't agree with what he preaches, but to each their own. But, he also get's into supporting war, in fact he himself said it in one service, he said "I wish more events like 9/11, hurricane katrina, and a bigger war would happen more often because it brings people to the church!" This isn't the only place I heard this either. That is why I like getting into the religious conspiracy subjects because I feel many of the man made events such as war, bombings, etc all stem from religion. It's nothing on the people who follow, they just want spiritual peace and enlightenment, but most of the leaders of these religious mislead their people.

At the church I had previously mentioned, they also trash pagans, witches and homosexuals pretty harshly. Also other believe systems that aren't christian are trashed pretty well too. In fact, they even go as far as trashing college students for, thinking! Other churches I have witnessed pretty much do the same thing. The only acceptable college students are people going in to study religion, more so than a doctor. I've asked any of these people when they trash homos and pagans if they had met any of them personally. Most say no, they go by what is told to them and what they read.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join