It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon State Health Plan Refuses Cancer Treatment...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
But does approve assisted suicide drugs.

This is what we have to look forward to if Obamacare passes.

Death Drugs Cause Uproar in Oregon

The news from Barbara Wagner's doctor was bad, but the rejection letter from her insurance company was crushing.

The 64-year-old Oregon woman, whose lung cancer had been in remission, learned the disease had returned and would likely kill her. Her last hope was a $4,000-a-month drug that her doctor prescribed for her, but the insurance company refused to pay.

What the Oregon Health Plan did agree to cover, however, were drugs for a physician-assisted death. Those drugs would cost about $50.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I love ya, Ferris.

Is this speculation on your part? Do you have something concrete for us to hang our hat on here?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

[sarcasm]
What is the point of bringing up this thread? She is old. A drain on society. Not worth it. Save the money for someone who needs it,like a twenty year old or a politician.
These threads (probably brought about by the GOP or insurance companies) only look at the person as an individual. They (the GOP lackies) care nothing of the collective. All they care about is whether or not a person still wants, or has the right to live as he/she wants.
[/sarcasm]

It honestly hurts when I hear stories like this. Everyone (well, hopefully everyone) has a loved one nearing or is elderly. Is this how we treat our elders?
Makes me glad I don't live in that state.

S&F even though it depressed me.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

I love ya, Ferris.

Is this speculation on your part? Do you have something concrete for us to hang our hat on here?

Page 425 of HR3200
‘‘(E) An explanation by the practitioner of the
20 continuum of end-of-life services and supports avail
21able, including palliative care and hospice, and bene
22fits for such services and supports that are available
23 under this title.

Hope this provides some insight.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I remember that I visited by grandmother in what was called Czechoslovakia in 1964 being there for the first time. I was always told that if any old people went to the hospital they would never get back home. The only old people you would see are the ones that never went to the hospital no matter what. Ofcourse at that time it was the Communist that held the country at bay. It was always said that old people were a bother to society then and no need to spend money on them. This sounds like this is going to happen in the US (unless you have loads of money that is). If this story is true about Oregon then I'm afraid that it will be for the whole US. When people don't care then this will happen little about thinking that they themselves will one day get old and it will happen to them. I wonder how they would like that prospect. But knowing people as I do they do not think.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
1. I live in Oregon and this is the first I've heard of this. It certainly isn't causing any kind of "uproar" in Oregon.

2. The Oregon Health Plan, which is indeed the closest thing to Government Health Care in the United States, does not cover any Cancer Treatment that has less than a 5% 5 Year Survival Rate, which the treatment she was prescribed does not. OHP Prioritized List of Treatment Coverage.

3. Assisted Suicide is, and has been, legal in Oregon for over 10 years now. We are very proud of that. We don't make Soylent Green, and our elderly are grateful to have the choice to die with dignity if they so choose.

4. One other treatment alternative is available to Barbara Wagner in Oregon. Medical Marijuana is legal in Oregon. Oregon Medical Marijuana Act. We have had this for over 10 years as well, and she fits all criteria for being eligible for this treatment.

It sucks that Barbara Wagner contracted an incurable Cancer whose only form of treatment has less than a 5% success rate over 5 Years and is ineligible for that particular treatment through her State paid Medical Plan. However, she still has the option of paying for the treatment herself, taking State paid Assisted Suicide, or applying for her Medical Marijuana Card. She certainly could also fight the Cancer using Holistic or Herbal Medicine, Reiki, or any other form of Alternative Medicine, although on her own dime. She is also entitled to fight current OHP Rules and move to get them changed, using the same democratic process every other Oregonian is entitled. She could also try for a second opinion to see if there is another treatment available that does have a greater than 5% success rate over 5 years.

A government program that allows for alternatives is always far better than governmental laws where there are no alternatives.

Where would Barbara Wagner be with "Traditional" health Insurance since this was a pre-existing condition? Nowhere and with no options. This would not be covered by "Traditional" health Insurance at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

You're right.

But it still makes me angry that these are the choices. For every one story we hear about, how many (do you think) occur that we don't hear about?

There are cultures in the world that revere their elderly. Here, we stack them in warehouses (nursing homes) and wait for them to die.

-pah- makes me sick!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

I love ya, Ferris.

Love ya too, Pigpen.

Looks like Mike answered your request for evidence.

Maybe that's a reason the lawmakers are refusing to read the bill before passing it. They can claim ignorance to what was in the bill once the elderly start receiving suicide drugs instead of their normal prescriptions after it's passed.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
There are cultures in the world that revere their elderly. Here, we stack them in warehouses (nursing homes) and wait for them to die.

It is one thing to relegate health care based on Triage. Hospitals have to do this already. A young child with a head injury, even without Health Insurance, is going to get priority treatment over a 68 year old woman with Terminal Cancer who does have Health Care. That's what Hospitals and doctors do, as according to the Hippocratic Oath. Health Coverage has nothing to do with it. The severity of the patient + the how treatable the patient is = priority of Health Care. Coverage never enters the equation as far as Hospitals are concerned.

However, not providing care and dignity to the elderly is another thing. The elderly are indeed often forgotten in our culture. We will probably see this change dramatically as the formerly largest demographic in the United States is now reaching Retirement Age and where before they were the first generation to shun the elderly, now they will be the largest proponents for better treatment of the elderly.

Our older generations are deserved of respect, and are a cultural resource that we often overlook. It would be nice if Americans were raised within multi-generational homes and learned to care for the elderly from a young age, but we don't. Our Nuclear Family Model doesn't allow for this...but yet we cling to that model as if it is the only model for how a family should function.

The thing that I find distasteful, especially about this news article, is that it paints the elderly as hapless victims in all of this, further humiliating and dehumanizing them. She is being used unwittingly as a tool in a Health Care debate that has no relevance to her particular plight. She isn't covered by Government Health Care, nor would she be covered by Corporate Health Insurance. She has a tragic story, but the MSM is only making it all the more tragic, and adding insult to her injury.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

It took 4 of us to disect the bill in 2 days.
topic titled...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They couldn't do it in 3 weeks? -gimme a break!-

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Well said.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
But does approve assisted suicide drugs.

Death Drugs Cause Uproar in Oregon

This is no mark against Obama's health proposals, or indeed any government plan revealed thus far. An individual in her situation, seeking this type of treatment, would be very hard pressed to receive coverage thereof by any public or private health plan.

It should be noted that without the government option, this woman would have found it difficult to receive any treatment at all--long before the cancer became terminal (she falls below the poverty line and ostensibly cannot afford private healthcare).

Considering the material you could have used to lambast Obama's healthcare plan, it is unfortunate that your current choice does nothing but further cement your reputation of partisan rhetoric.

I'll defer to the post by fraterormus for better elucidation of the situation in Oregon.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
3. Assisted Suicide is, and has been, legal in Oregon for over 10 years now. We are very proud of that. We don't make Soylent Green, and our elderly are grateful to have the choice to die with dignity if they so choose.

'If they so choose.' But in this unfortunate case, the woman isn't choosing the assisted suicide. She wants the treatment. If you read the article, she even explains the fact she wouldn't take the suicide pill on her lowest day.

Side note: Isn't there a video from one of Obama's speeches similar to this floating around? It's not about assisted suicide but I think a pain pill? A woman asked Obama what would happen to her elderly mother under his plan and he responded along the lines instead of giving her the surgery she'd just be given a pill?

Not sure if that was taken out of context but I do fear this is a sign of things to come.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
This is no mark against Obama's health proposals, or indeed any government plan revealed thus far. An individual in her situation, seeking this type of treatment, would be very hard pressed to receive coverage thereof by any public or private health plan.

Really? My brother has polymyositis. Persons with this disease usually live around 10 years before succumbing to it. 8 years into the disease he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. His health insurance under my sister-in-law's employer paid for all treatment, and he is in full remission. He is now on his 11th year of polymyositis, and still in remission. I just wonder if Obama's board of accountants that're going to decide if people live or die by the checkbook would've approved the treatment? Well we do know Oregon's liberal health plan probably wouldn't have.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
'If they so choose.' But in this unfortunate case, the woman isn't choosing the assisted suicide. She wants the treatment. If you read the article, she even explains the fact she wouldn't take the suicide pill on her lowest day.

So, under Oregon's Government Health Care she has the following options:

1.) Find a way to pay $4000 a month out of pocket for treatment that chances are won't help her (less than 5% chance it will), as her Government Health Care won't cover treatments with almost non-existent chances of curing or helping.

2.) Apply for Medical Marijuana Card and relieve her pain from Cancer, at the Government's expense.

3.) Choose to die with dignity, at the Government's expense, if that is her desire (no pressure as she can choose not to either...no one is suggesting it, but it is her right).

4.) Seek a second opinion to see if there are other treatment methods available with a higher success rate that her Government Health Care will provide for.

5.) Use the democratic process to change what Government Health Care provides coverage for.

6.) Pay for Alternative Medicine out of pocket and hope and pray that Herbs, Reiki, Chakra Cleansing, Accupressure, and Voodoo helps.

7.) Do nothing and die a slow, painful death.

Under Corporate Health Care, as we have now, she has the following options:

1.) Find a way to pay $4000 a month out of pocket for treatment that chances are won't help her (less than 5% chance it will), as Corporate Health Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.

2.) Pay for Alternative Medicine out of pocket and hope and pray that Herbs, Reiki, Chakra Cleansing, Accupressure, and Voodoo helps.

3.) Die a slow and painful death.

Under Government Health Care all of the same options are available as what existed under Corporate Health Care. However Government Health Care offers FOUR other choices not available under Corporate Health Care.

Now which is the better alternative between the two and why again because I'm really bad at math and I'm not sure if 7 is greater than 3?

[edit on 9-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

The healthcare bill HR3200 would do the same thing, see above post for a reference, but on a national scale.

So it is relavant. In this womans case it is disheartening. Others have posted that this disease has less than 5% survival rate. I don't agree with the states decision. I wish I had the frackin' money to help her. It kills me to see someone who wants to live being told that their last chance is not coming.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link