It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Possibility of Time Travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
After reading the thread Time Travel 101 it reminded me of one of my passions, deciphering mystery.

What the OP posted is absolutely how to time travel, but it is not the only way of doing so. There is another, less complicated, more reasonable way to time travel that all can do sitting in there own living room. It is mental traveling and it is not too tough and costs nothing.

First, in order to do so one must understand how relative time really is. There is no such thing as a second, minute, hour, day, or even year. We as a collective society have designated what "time" is and how to record it. Imagine if every 2 sunrises completed a day. In turn you may have a 48 hour day, so time is all dependent on those who set up the parameters. Knowing first how relative time is you can begin to start to play with it.

Now, back to time traveling. One paradigm is that people believe we can not change the past due to the Butterfly Effect. That is not 100% correct. My first paragraph was typed about 5 minutes ago, thus it was typed in the past. I could very easily go back and re-type what I put and then would be changing the past. Changing the past however does change the future. I could decide to go back and write about the TR3B or Advanced Alien Races and then nobody would be able to read this exact post. I still have that capability so I could still go to the past and change history (a very very very small portion of history).

You see, what we come to think of as the present is in fact the past. Every second that goes by turns into the past. We only live in the present one second at a time, and since most of society thinks about memories or what they are going to do most never live in the present at all but rather in the past or in the future.

For those of us who live in the mental future, we begin to understand how are present day decisions will impact us down the road, and that is living in the mental future. My birthday is coming up in a couple months, and by planning now what I will be doing then I actually am living in the future since it has yet to happen. Leading up to my birthday I am able to change plans, which will be a direct result of my personal future.

Noticing repeats in history is perhaps the easiest way to tell the future. I know that the direction the US is going in is not the future that are fore fathers for saw, and knowing so I have the ability to change it. The future is never set in stone, for it changes on a day to day basis, but the general theme of the future is.

I know that in the future we will learn we are not alone in the Universe, and by we I mean it will be accepted by the masses. I've seen throughout history civilizations thinking they were the only ones and always discovering new lands and knew societies (think Columbus). With the many different space programs it is only a matter of time until we discover new life (even though some of us already have).

So in short, if you would like to travel to the future, get inside your brain and realize how your present actions will affect you down the road. You will start to make better decisions, and in turn you will be manipulating your past.

Remember, time is all relative.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by GeechQuestInfo]

[edit on 9-8-2009 by GeechQuestInfo]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Good post but, I would rather as most others I think would too, want to travel physically into the future or the past. Though doing it mentally as you are stating wouldn't be so bad either. Maybe I read it wrong...

Just my 2 cents...

PEACE!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Great Post!
S+F

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
To travel forwards in time get in the pull of a back hole for a while and then fly off. Because time move more slowly at the center you will have moved forwards in time.

Dont get to close to that event horizon though

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Lichter Daraus

Good post but, I would rather as most others I think would too, want to travel physically into the future or the past.

Since reality is quite simply only your mental projection of it, isn't mental traveling in fact physically going there?

Now this is of course based on how deeply in your mental you would care to go, but the deeper inside yourself you go the more your physical reality does in fact change.

Just a personal belief, I used to want to actually go back into time and see if I can change my actual future but the more I began to think I actually wouldn't. I love playing the cards life has dealt me, and by me realizing how to play them the right way I personally believe is better than say a "do-over".

I appreciate your 2 cents

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GeechQuestInfo

That makes sense to me thanks for elaborating.
I do tend to over analyse things a bit...

PEACE!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Great post!
S+F

Ok, my two cents:

I see where you're coming from with this theory. It's true that we are able to change the future, it's not set in stone. It hasn't happened yet, so any decision we make now can affect how it turns out. But, I believe there are a few flaws in your theory about traveling into the past. I'll use part of your post as an example...

My first paragraph was typed about 5 minutes ago, thus it was typed in the past. I could very easily go back and re-type what I put and then would be changing the past. Changing the past however does change the future. I could decide to go back and write about the TR3B or Advanced Alien Races and then nobody would be able to read this exact post. I still have that capability so I could still go to the past and change history (a very very very small portion of history).

While it may be true that you could re-type what you wrote, it will not have any effects on the past. You could erase what you had, and then type up something new on a totally different topic and post it, but you could not change the past by doing so. You have already typed it, and it already happened. Erasing it would simply make it disappear, and nobody else would see it. But it would not mean that it never happened, and that it never was typed. Changing the past would entitle actually going back to before you typed it, and preventing yourself from writing it, in order for it to never have happened. Now, here is where the paradoxes come in to play, the reason why a majority of people believe that traveling to the past and changing it is impossible. For instance, if you were to go back in time in order to stop yourself from typing what you wrote, and manage to do so, then you would have never typed it. But, having never typed it, you would have no reason to go back in the past to prevent yourself from doing so. Without going back into the past to prevent yourself from writing it, then you would be right back where you started, with the paragraph which you plan on going backwards in order to change, negating everything. Kinda like the "chicken or the egg" principle. It is also possible that this results in a continuous timeloop, or even a closed timeloop, in which you are doomed to continuously repeat this process over and over. Because, if you went back and changed the past, giving you no reason to go back, bringing you back to square one, then you would never know that you couldn't go back in the first place and you'd be stuck in the same loop. It's really a mind-warping theory, and kinda hard to explain, but if you are able to grasp it then it actually makes a lot of sense. For more information, just have a quick look at some of the Wikipedia pages involving these theories and paradoxes. (Even though Wikipedia isn't exactly a scholarly source, most of the stuff in these articles is actually referenced to reputable ones, and based off of some famous studies by respected scientists. But, I'm just pointing you towards Wikipedia to introduce you to the train of thought a little bit better than I could with my attempts at explaining.)

Grandfather Paradox
Novikov Self-Consistency Principle
Otological Paradox

Ok, back to what you said about typing another topic instead of this one... This would have no effects on the past since it already happened, and would instead have effects on the future. If you were to erase it and re-type something else, then you would have been the only one to see what was written before, but, it would have happened nonetheless. By keeping what you had, it allows for the present and what is happening right now. I wouldn't be typing this if you had decided to type something else and post it. Instead, it would have been a different conversation with different people.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Well this is a good post on organization, but time travel? I don't think so. Planning a birthday is not time travel, I know what the jist was, but it was too simplistic, perhaps perfect for this forum, but time does exist, the earth rotates around the sun, when there is only 1 body in the 3d unverse then time will not exist, Einstein's theory of relativity says time travel can exist, I don't think it will ever be easy to manipulate it, but it's possible, I tend to lean towards wormholes existing, if wormholes don't exist mortal humans will never be able travel in time beyond the old spaceship orbiting routine, basically until we can maipulate black holes, warping them into wormholes we probably will never have a shot at actual time travel as seen in the movies, fabrication about the LHC in the angels and demons movie was hilarious to me because blackholes even if we could create them would only last for less than a second before they disappear into nothing, we are far from manipulating time beyond using what I consider to be a great and powerful tool, a calendar.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
About time being relative, that much is true. But it does not stop ticking, no matter what our interpretation of it is. If 2 sunrises were to be made considered one day, throughout a 48 hour period, then relatively-speaking a day would be twice as long as they are with our current interpretations. But either way, the same amount of time would pass no matter what, and no amount of different interpretations could change that.

So in short, if you would like to travel to the future, get inside your brain and realize how your present actions will affect you down the road. You will start to make better decisions, and in turn you will be manipulating your past.

A very interesting train of thought, changing your "future past" or "soon-to-be past"
Hmmmm... I never really thought of it that way. Very interesting indeed...

As far as mentally traveling to the past (with society's current interpretation of time) and changing events in your imagination, well... that is possible also. But that it just an interpretation in the mind, and would have to effects or bearing on anything current in the real world. Perhaps at best, it would just change your view or perspective a little more.

Sorry if I was to picky in my above posts, I did not mean to take anything away from your theories or ideas
It's just that topics like this fascinate me, and really get me going, and I sometimes start ranting

Thanks again for this post, it was great! Very thought-provoking, and really gets the mind and imagination going

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I think what the OP is trying to say, is do your best all the time!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I think you have your notions a little mixed up.
If you make this post, but then delete it, and post something else, you are not changing the past or the future. You still typed everything out. Regardless if you posted something else. The progression is still the same. 1, you typed it out, 2, you deleted it, 3, you typed something else, 4, you posted the new words.
Nothing changed.
Now, here is what is going to fry some noodles.
Retro causality.
Once you have posted the content, try to visualize yourself in the past, typing something different, than what you already did. See if it changes.
If nothing happens, don't blame yourself. You may not be conscious of the changes, if any occurred at all.

A long held theory, is that moments of intense emotion, are enough to break the "normal" progression of time, and follow a more non linear path, as per the observer. Imagine, you saw a terrible accident, and felt so distraught over it, somehow you were able to send an emotional warning back to yourself in the past, so perhaps before the accident, you felt like something terrible was about to happen. You hesitate, and that hesitation is what keeps you from being involved in it.
That gets deep.
Personally, I have absolutely no doubt, that some people are more attune to this sort of thing than others.
I am one of them, but that is irrelevant.
If one can remember the past, and the present, why not the future?
Because it has not happened yet is not good enough for me.
Perhaps it's a combination of the progression of things, our ability to recall, and whatever changes we make along the way.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I think many of you are over analyzing what the past really is. The past is quite simply the last second. And the next second is always up for change. What I've learned is to keep it simple and things in life become much more clear.

Let's put it this way. If I said I was going to travel to Canada, many might ask which airline are you taking. Some might even say how long of a drive is that. And even a smaller amount may ask how long is the train ride. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Keep your mind open up to many possibilities.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeechQuestInfo
I think many of you are over analyzing what the past really is. The past is quite simply the last second. And the next second is always up for change. What I've learned is to keep it simple and things in life become much more clear.

This is nonsense. What does "over analyzing" mean? Presenting facts that don't meld with what you are saying? Not only is simplifying things a two-edged sword because it sacrifices detail, what you are doing in your original post isn't exactly simplifying it is misinterpreting the concept of time. Let's call it "under analyzing". Time is accumulative, at least in our perception of it, and it is not erasing the past second with the present second, the present second is added on to the previous one. That's how you get a sense of things happening "seconds ago" or "within seconds".

In reality, this is not happening, rather we are moving along a time line. Still, whether you want to look at it as the past second being pushed behind the present one or if you see at as a timeline that you are passing over, that past moment is still "there" in the past, so rewriting a paragraph wouldn't change anything except the future!

Now the future...I tend to believe it is deterministic and it only FEELS like you are making choices, choices that you are determined to make, however predicting it is tricky because exactly which timeline you are on in the multiverse is only probabilistic. This is sort of what you were trying to describe with your birthday party scenario, although I agree with the other poster, your organization process is great! I use a similar thought process. You just need to think a little more critically about time travel.

Originally posted by GeechQuestInfo
Let's put it this way. If I said I was going to travel to Canada, many might ask which airline are you taking. Some might even say how long of a drive is that. And even a smaller amount may ask how long is the train ride. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Keep your mind open up to many possibilities.

This is what I'm talking about and why i decided to respond to your post. This literally makes no sense. I get it, you travel at different speeds and it takes less time on a clock to get there, but you aren't time traveling. The world is still happening around you. You may have avoided a new timeline by making a different choice, but the rate at which time goes by is still the same.

The reason I'm pointing all this out is that people like us, everyone on this forum, are the people that ask "why?" and "what if?", the people that have an innate curiosity about reality, and this is an extremely important mentality to our current moments in time. Everyone who is interested in time travel, aliens, alternate universes, anything beyond conventional perceptions needs to start taking their inquisitions seriously and scientificaly to uncover the truth.

That is what keeping your mind open is really about. Open to all possibilities, even being wrong. The only way to understand things, then, is use critical thinking and science to find what is the most likely state of reality.

I think we all need to stop spouting random thoughts out on some of these subjects without taking them seriously. I mean come on, you know you aren't traveling through time.

The last thing I want to comment on was receiving messages from the future. I have thought about this possibility and it is very intriguing. But how would you KNOW? How do you distinguish an "emotional message from the future" from present instinct? This is a very interesting concept but i have yet to see any evidence for it. Even if it is real and you could experience it, how can we know it's true? If you know it's true you must have a reason why you are so convinced, so why would you not share that information with us?

top topics

join