It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Wants To Live Forever?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I do!

Whenever this question is raised it seems to evoke mixed feelings within people. For me there is only one answer...yes!
It has become somewhat of an obsession of mine and i have spent many hours arguing my case.

So how realistic is this idea?

Consider how life expectancy has increased over the last two centuries. An average man born in 1800 had a life expectancy of 35 years. In 1900, he would have made it all the way to 47. By 1950, average life expectancy was up to 68 years, and now it’s up to 78.

The trend is definitely favorable. But how far can we take it?

In San Francisco, Professor Cynthia Kenyon is conducting experiments on microscopic worms. Their usual life span is little more than 13 days, but she has been able to get some to live as long as six times that by altering one specific gene.

"And here is the long-lived mutant when it’s also 13 days old," she said, showing Sieberg her handy-work. "But you can see, look at that! It’s still living a productive, active life. I would say it might be heading out to play tennis."

Kenyon believes her work shows that the rate of aging is not fixed. Rather, it can be slowed dramatically.

Calorie restriction research goes back more than 70 years to pioneering experiments on mice at Cornell University. Restricting your food intake does appear to extend life, although no one's totally sure how.

"If we base ideas on calorie restriction, in animals, and even in monkeys, which are relatively close to us, we see that calorie restriction slows down virtually all diseases of aging," researcher on aging at Harvard David Sinclair said.

Eat less, live longer? Easier said than done.

Source

Human Immortality: A Scientific Reality?

From the moment of birth, we begin the battle against death -- against the inevitable. Statistics say that a newborn child can expect to live an average of 76 years. But averages may not be what they use to be.

In 1786, life expectancy was 24 years. A hundred years later it doubled to 48. Right now, it's 76.

"Over half the baby boomers here in America are going to see their hundredth birthday and beyond in excellent health," says Dr. Ronald Klatz of the American Academy of Anti-Aging. "We're looking at life spans for the baby boomers and the generation after the baby boomers of 120 to 150 years of age."

The cause of human aging is now being understood.

Dr. Langmore (University of Michigan's Department of Biology) and his group have been looking inside human cells, at the very essence of human life: the DNA molecule. Specifically, Dr. Langmore is looking at the tips of the DNA molecule - a previously overlooked part of the double-helix molecule - that contain a kind of chain of repeating pairs of enzymes.

Telomeres - programmed to die?

Called telomeres, these molecular chains have often been compared to the blank leaders on film and recording tape. Indeed, telomeres seem to perform a similar function in aligning the DNA molecule during the replication process. Protecting the vital DNA molecule from being copied out of synch, these telomeres provide a kind of buffer zone where asynchronous replication errors (that are inevitable) will not result in any of the vital DNA sequences being lost.

Other scientists use the analogy of the plastic bands on the ends of shoelaces. Telomeres seem to hold the important DNA code intact, preventing it from freying as the molecules replicate over time.

Perhaps the best analogy I have heard is to compare the telomeres to the white space surrounging an important type written document. Imagine that this paper is repeatedly slapped on a copy machine, a copy is made, and then that copy is used to make another copy. Each time the paper is subject to errors of alignment. After enough copying it is probable that the white space will diminish and some of the actual text will not be copied. That's what happens to our cells' DNA and is the reason we get old and die.

Scientists recently noted that the length of these telomere chains were shorter as we grew older. Eventually, the telomeres become so shortened that the losses in replication begin to effect the vital DNA molecule sequence and prevent the cell from being able to duplicate itself. This point, when the cell has lost vital DNA code and cannot reproduce, is called the Hayflick limit. This is why we age.

Source

Let me introduce you to a hero of mine......

Aubrey de Grey

So what are your thoughts?
Would you want to live forever?
Is this a realistic theory?

I have convinced myself that i already will live forever, so for those of you who feel the same......see you in 1000 years

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I believe will be able to live forever, accidents, homicide and such aside. Just look at how much our knowledge has increased in the past 100 years. Did you know that 99% of scientist that ever existed are actually alive right now?

But I know I will live forever because I am a member of the Time Travel Club

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Phlegmi]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I would love to live forever, and I have a means to do it. I'm just going to wait untill I'm 21 to do so. Being immortal would help out my plans immensly.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

I would love to live forever to....but i don't think currently it is possible.

and how do you think you can live forever?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

explain on this club please?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
reply to post by The Killah29

I would love to live forever to....but i don't think currently it is possible.

and how do you think you can live forever?

You may laugh at me and call me an idiot for this but I have a magik spell for immortality.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I actually plan on living forever.

So far so good.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Interesting.

Would I want to live forever? Yes, would I want that process to age me in any way? No.

I think if I could keep the current body I have, with my current health, than yeah, sign me up. Immortality is right up my alley.

It's the actual aging I have a problem with. The shutting down of the human body is something I am very much against

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I would love to live forever and believe that I easily could pass the centuries. I can handle death and watching my loved ones die, but watching Humanity never change over the millennium would be depressing. However, I would not want to live forever for my own selfish reasons, but rather to aid Humanity from the wings, helping guide those amongst them ready to find their destiny and life's purpose.

However, I do not believe that immortality would be beneficial to Humankind on a whole. Already you have people wasting their lives, never looking to the future. If you took away the restriction of mortality, these people would waste multiple lifetimes doing nothing other than consuming, living selfishly decadent lives, and demanding to be further entertained.

Our mortality, and the inevitability of death who comes unannounced and unforseen, forces us to live each day as if it were our last. Those who choose to live rather than merely survive, are forced to embrace the ethic of Carpe Diem. These people lead exceptional lives because of their Mortality. All of the great people throughout time would not have been so great if it were not for their Mortality. Great minds such as Hawkings, Da Vinci, Einstein, Gandhi, Fludd, Bacon, Dee, Plato, Socrates, Pythagoras, Hypatia, Kovalevskaya, Avicenna, et cetera would have never happened, raising Humanity above their animal cousins. We are defined by our limitations. The harder the struggle with which we are faced, the greater the potential that exists for what we may one day become.

As horrible as it may sound, until the day comes that every member of Humanity is able to consciously determine their Dharma and fulfill their Higher Will, then we need pain, suffering, trials, tribulation, opposition, and our mortality to truly be that which we are meant to become. Without those things, we were destined to becoming nothing more than fat, complacent, demanding Fools ruled by our Egos and by the flaws in our Human Nature.

The Quest for the Holy Grail or the Fountain of Youth are meant to be parables that are unobtainable. It is what one gains by the act of the quest that is of importance, not the end goal.

Besides, if the world is overpopulated as it is, what good would come of expanding every person's lifespan a couple hundred or thousands of years?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
1000 years is about right. And it can be done.

This man is right on the spot in terms of beating the curve.

Some of us, will be living extraordinary lifespans compared to the norm, most wont, survive the next 50 years and be among us or choose to be fatalistic, overindulge and do not be wary of the methods some would chose to prevent too many of us from sharing this experience and you wont.

The time to start is not, be cognizant of your food intake, eat a longevity prone diet, calorie restrict, supplements like Pomegranate extract and Resveritrol will work wonders... hydrate often, don't poison your self, detoxify your body, make it a daily regimen, avoid stress, work at things you love and don't base on money...

many things you can do while you wait.

The truth is we are already there, much innovation is held in limbo because some FEAR population expansion and are selfish view you and others having access as a threat... fortunately most of the people who think this way wont catch the boat in time anyway...

out live them and enjoy your proper lifespan as it was intended

[edit on 9-8-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
For me, I believe in some sort of immaterial afterlife which surpasses our life hear on Earth. So no. Although a few more decades maybe good but the way the planet's going I don't really know.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by and14263]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
To me it seems a no-brainer. Of course I'd want to live forever. I could easily spend centuries just reading books that have already been written, not to mention what might come out in the future, especially if people lived forever.

Do I think it will happen? Likely not. I think that one day people will live an extremely long time (see some of the ideas by Roy Kurzweil and the aforementioned Aubrey de Grey) but I don't think we will live forever. There will always be something that we haven't foreseen. If we download our consciousness into computers, maybe the computers lose power, or a virus gets in, or something. Maybe a new disease from outer space arrives on a meteor and it kills a bunch of people before its cured. There are all kinds of technological or biological or other problems that could happen. Still, I think that one day people will live for thousands of years, either in computers or as cyborgs or maybe even in our own bodies, depending on the technology that develops, and perhaps on personal choice, too.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I personally don't have any desire to live forever.

It is a great comfort to me to know that at some undetermined moment, I will shuffle off this mortal coil.

"Death is simply part of the process."

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The only reason we die is because we accept it as an inevitability.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
The only reason we die is because we accept it as an inevitability.

Is that the only reason?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The science to do this is available. The cause of ALL disease is a single chronic infection that everyone has and is the underlying cause of human disease and most of what we call aging. The treatment for this should be available to anyone in the next year or two. I realize that I am not supporting or explaining this. I just do not think this is the appropriate "forum". For now you will have to search your feelings to decide if what I am saying is true.

- PM

top topics

join