How would you define "genocide"?

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
To me, genocide is any mass murder of civilians by a government. this would include not only racial genocide, but also the elimination of political opponents.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Genocide to me refers to the targeting of individuals within a specific group, which can be reliigous, ethnic e.t.c. It does not strictly need to deal with murder or removal, but can also take on the role of preventing births or suppression.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I always thought that genocide was the killing of masses because of their religion (i.e. the holocaust).

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
To me, genocide is any mass murder of civilians by a government. this would include not only racial genocide, but also the elimination of political opponents.

The problem with your definition is that genocide's aren't just always carried out by governments.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group.

Source

This is the definition of genocide. It doesn't have to be by government, it can be by any group who wants to destroy another group for a belief or a racial/political/religious difference.

Further definitions include:

While precise definition varies among genocide scholars, a legal definition is found in the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2 of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."[1]

So it is a very broad term and still goes on to this very day in alot of countries, even some you would not think.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
when i need a definition i refer to a dictionary:

gen·o·cide

noun

Definition:

murder of entire ethnic group: the systematic killing of all the people from a national, ethnic, or religious group, or an attempt to do this

[Mid-20th century. < Greek genos "race"]

top topics

join