It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free rent available for Homeless Families

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It IS good! Kinda. Sorta. Maybe not.

Why two years? Specifically there must be a reason for two freakin years?

And how many illegals will be living for free? They claim none, and if none get in, then id be that much more happier. Considering at the store today I saw a woman who couldn't speak english use her state aid card for her food, and cash to buy two 12 packs of corona .. I cannot say I have much faith in anything any government does.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

S & F.

It is very nice to see a bit of genuine charity in the world instead of money-grabbing people who do not care about anyone else.

My warmest congratulations to whoever set this up.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Please do not pass judgment on people who purchase things that you dont
believe to be apropriate.
You really have no knowledge of what that persons situation is.

My daughter is authorized to purchase food for me with my EBT food card.
Many people have opted use this method, for what ever reason.

A person can go to get groceries, and at the same time pick something up for a friend, neighbor, etc... It happens.

Not everyone with a food card is foolish, lazy, or pulling a fast one - so to speak.

Please do not assume somthing is amiss.

reply to Hx3_1963,
As for the OP. In addition to this program, I think that folks who lost their homes because of the bank fiasco resulting in job loss , should be allowed this type of program to put them back into the home they lost if it is still available.
And the Families who are about to be forclosed on now, should have the same opportunity for survival. Much easier on children. Much healthier for mental well-being.

So many homes sit empty here in Michigan it is very sad.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by azureskys]

[edit on 11-8-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Good.

hard to get a job if you have no place to keep your clothes, take a shower, or have an address.

A lot of these people were hardworking, taxpaying Americans who lost their jobs. I work in a welfare office, there are a lot of very educated people coming in for help. They deserve a helping hand.

It says families, most likely this is for people with children.

NO child should ever be homeless in America.

I will agree with a hand up, not a hand out.

They can stay in one of the millions of foreclosed houses, but
the deal here is if ppl can get free rent, then ppl are going to abuse
this just like they abuse the rest of the welfare system.

We will just end up paying more money for slackers to live
in housing we pay for and they tear up the property in ways
you just can't friggin imagine.

Section 8 across the street from me had kids and so it took 6 months
to get them kicked out for not paying any rent, even though they
got rent money from the state but didn't pass it on to the person
renting the house to them.

They went through the house and urinated all over the house,
and defecated all over the house, its friggin surreal.

We went to food cards here, and the ppl buy groceries they can resell
for cash so they can get the cash they want to buy drugs and booze.

They made a special group of cops here just to deal with these types,
it is called "task force", and it looks more like an army when they
descend and take down ENTIRE blocks of jokers in my neighborhood.

They even come with a helicopter, spotlight, and likely a sniper
when they roll through sometimes as late as 3 am.

A few years ago this place could be mistaken for a slow night in Iraq.

It has reduced the gunfire, drivebys, and dead ppl hauled off in the
middle of the night a great deal.

No more free rides for the thugs and hoodlums.

No more hand outs for the ghetto culture, its counter-culture at its worst.

Even Chris Rock commented that these ppl sing welfare songs.

Cosby even commented this is not the way to live.

They both have a damn good point.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

yes people abuse the system. But most don't. And it is not fair to isolate and turn on families who need the system because of a few bad apples.

For every bad apple you have a person who is trying to find a job and go to school, who in short time will be putting back into the system.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Holy wow! I'm surprised at the compassion in this thread. I thought for sure it would be overran with posts of: Not with my Tax dollars! Maybe we are beginning to realize that it's the system that is corrupt not a spending program. A spending program without a corrupt system wouldn't exist.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am on the waiting list for a housing voucher and have been for over 2 years. I was going to be homeless yet now I have an apartment. I pay $600/month for a one bedroom apartment which equates to 60% of my income. I have a hard time paying one bill a month but I found a rotation that works. I simply pay all but in bill in full each month and then pay what I can on the last.
I am all for a housing voucher program but it is not the permant solution. We need more affordable housing in the united states. I am not talking about government housing per say but cheaper market rate apartments.
If a company owns a property then that properties mortgage stays the same so why should rent go up too much?
There are all these houses sitting out there on the market that are foreclosed why can't they be auctioned off at cheap prices. If someone buys a home at $50,000 their mortagage should be no more than $400 per month. The owner can either live in it themselves or rent them at $600/month which is very affordable for a family.
I have seen houses that just sit there and decay. I would love to buy some of them and fix them up.
Once someone gets a job then they should have to pay at least a portion of the rent. I do believe affordable sustianable living not free living unless a person has no income.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it. Gee ... wonder who?
Oh yes ... the middle class American tax payer. It always ends up being us. :shk:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

That is a good idea but single people are often overlooked. I have seen a lot of homeless single men on the streets. The system needs to also help single indivuals or couples without children as well.
It should be on a first come first serve basis and whether or not the indivual or family is homeless.
People who are homeless and jobless should always be at the top of the list regardless if they have small children.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Years ago, jobs were plentiful. Now those companies are out of the country or downsizing, or hiring illegals. People are homeless for many reasons. Some are drug addicts and alcoholics, some are illegals, some are mentally unstable, some have just fallen on hard times or disabled and not making enough to get by, People need help in different ways. Two years is nice, but that is a temporary solution to a growing problem. It is very sad that there are so many homeless people and we need to find more working solutions. It is generous of your state to do what it is doing. Kudos!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The term "free rent" is a little misleading. If its free then there is no "rent" due, right? So why call it free rent when its really just free housing?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join