It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO picture taken by NASA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Does anyone know what this might be?

I only know it's taken by NASA at some point, maybe 2001? Downloaded it today from a NASA ftp.

Just enlarged by me:

It casts a shadow on the ground, at least it looks like it.

This is coming from an image named: ISD_highres_ISS002_ISS002-704-47_3.JPG

I'm not calling it Alien, just wanted to know what it is, because I can't find more info about it.

Cheers from Sweden!

[edit on 9-8-2009 by IllumUA]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The links don't work.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jibbs

Just updated them

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by IllumUA

Here's the link for those who are interested in it:
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

yes this is something that falls into the "unexplained" basket in my humble opinion, unless some investigations on the images taken right previously and right after will reveal some glitch or stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i think this was taken aboard the ISSand what you see is its own shadow?

if you look on both sides they look like the solarpannels.

cheers

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
That's why I had to post it, since I couldn't explain it. But maybe someone here can since there are people here with alot of knowledge..

Originally posted by internos
reply to post by IllumUA

Here's the link for those who are interested in it:
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

yes this is something that falls into the "unexplained" basket in my humble opinion, unless some investigations on the images taken right previously and right after will reveal some glitch or stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunspot0

cheers

Yes the shape is consistent wit the iss's one: but i wonder on to WHAT it's projected. Do you have some ideas?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos

cheers

Yes the shape is consistent wit the iss's one: but i wonder on to WHAT it's projected. Do you have some ideas?

The shape is consistent yes, to me it first looked like something black that itself casted a shadow right below it on earth. But I think I can go with ISS
Even though it's still suspicious for me

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

im no expert but for the shadow to reach the surface seems unlikely,maybe some thick cloudlayer?
just a guess though

cheers

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

im no expert but for the shadow to reach the surface seems unlikely,maybe some thick cloudlayer?
just a guess though

cheers

Could be true yes, you can see clouds down to the left but they are not as thick where the "shadow" is.. but hey, every explanation is an explanation.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IllumUA
The shape is consistent yes, to me it first looked like something black that itself casted a shadow right below it on earth. But I think I can go with ISS
Even though it's still suspicious for me

Of course it is suspicious. Now, we should try to track down the images taken right previously and right after, that is a good technique: i bet that we will find some other clue. Anyway this is not the point. The point is that this is stuff that is always welcome, regardless whether it turns out to be some shadow being casted to who knows where:
you didn't take some random youtube video and shared it typing some one line: you are seriously interested in some possible explanation and this is what ATS is made for. These are the threads i like, because there's something that can be discussed in some intelligent way. Here, we have a shadow consistent with the stuff from which the image it has been taken, and this is clear. Let's find how it has happened and we all will have learned something new.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

You're right!
It's a first for me to see the ISS cast a shadow like this, still a nice one
Probably on the thin clouds, but still not sure..

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by IllumUA

You're right!
It's a first for me to see the ISS cast a shadow like this, still a nice one
Probably on the thin clouds, but still not sure..

Cheers!

just took a look at the pic link you provided eol.jsc.nasa.gov... ,looked at it full screen and it actually looks if the shadow is on the surface,didnt know that this was possible,will try and get some more info on this.

cheers

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by IllumUA

We have some experts in clouds here on ATS: people who work on them every day, i'm going to U2U them. I think that their opinion is important in a thread like this one. So far, sunspot0's guess is the most likely in my opinion, but since i could be completely wrong it's better to ask for some more trained opinion regarding what can form some layer at THAT altitude. I would rule out it being some shadow being cast on Earth's surface, i'm sure of it. Clouds not only would work as explanation, but would also explain the deformation of the shape. But i'm ignorant on stuff like that, mine are just guesses

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thanks to the OP for finding and sharing this!

I have tried to find out if it really is possible that the ISS can cast a shadow on Earth's surface, but I have not been able to find an answer to this. Perhaps someone else will have more luck than me, but it seems to me that if this was something that occured on a regular basis, we would have seen some publicity photos of it by now..?

I also took a look at the information available about the photo in the opening post (ISS002-704-47), and it is one of two stereo photos showing Quiadam desert in China. I have circled the location of the shadow in the image:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e012c03deeda.jpg[/atsimg]
Here you can download hi res version of the photo:
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

The other stereo photo is the next one on the roll of film (ISS002-704-48) and in this image there is no shadow:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46816450eb2e.jpg[/atsimg]
Here you can download hi res version: eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

(The image before these two shows Madagaskar, and the image after them shows Suhai Lake area in China, so they are not relevant. None of them show such a shadow either.)

It is quite strange that the shadow is completely gone in the second photo. These two images must have been taken right after each other in order to create a stereo pair, at least I think so..?

But regarding clouds, I don't think it is likely that the shadow is cast on a thick layer of clouds, because of the quite clear weather conditions in this area when the photo was taken. The information about these two photos states:

Percentage of cloud cover: 10 (0 - 10)

(This is the lowest range of cloud cover.) Scroll down to "Quality" to find this information here:
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

Thanks again to the OP for this thread, the shadow is a fascinating mystery!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Hehe, well yeah, that's all I wanted, an explanation, and there is guys here known to know stuff
Thanks for all the help btw.. I will continue post stuff that I feel needs to be explain when I find them

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Well, it was a real coincidence NASA and it just catched my eyes so I had to enlarge it to check it out that I found it since I was just browsing through 100s of pictures fro

Hopefully someone can give a good explanation to this phenomenon..

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't think it's a shadow, if satellites projected their shadow on Earth would shadows passing at high speed and there would be spots in which we could see a shadow every day at the same time for the geostationary satellites.

I don't know if it could be another satellite below the ISS, but I think that this is the most probable explanation, after all that thing looks like a satellite.

But as things are it will remain a UFO.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Hopefully we can shed some light on this matter soon, would be nice to find other pictures like this one, haven't seen one yet and I've gone through around 2000 images right now.. so it's at least one in 2000 that it happens

Still a mystery until someone with more knowledge here will shed some light on it

Thanks for posting to the thread!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

You could also be right, still it looks more like a shadow to me, but as you say, can be another satellite but I'm not the one to tell that, haven't looked at to many satellites yet

Cheers!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join