It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Send away those useless homeless

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Send away those useless homeless

www.guardian.co.uk

New York scheme to send hundreds of homeless people on a one-way ticket out of town has led to more than 550 families relocated since 2007. Under the scheme, initiated by New York's mayor Mike Bloomberg, the city pays for bus and plane tickets, or petrol vouchers, to destinations varying from cities elsewhere within the US mainland to places like South Africa or Puerto Rico.

The scheme is aimed at saving the costs of putting up homeless families in expensive shelters. It only happens if a family can show they have relatives to stay with elsewhere who are willing to look after them. Then New York will stump up the cash and make the arrangements for them to get out of town, often within a few days of agreeing to leave.

The level of help varies. One couple from Michigan were given $400 (£240) in petrol cards so that they could drive home after a failed quest to find New York jobs. Another family of five got free plane tickets to Paris and then free rail tickets when they arrived to get them to the northern French town of Granville.

Though the travel expenses can often cost thousands of dollars, city officials say it is cheaper than housing families in shelters which can cost around $36,000 a year.

However, the plan has stirred up controversy among charity organisations that work with homeless families. Some say the scheme is a welcome addition to the city's armoury of ways of dealing with a chronic homeless problem.

"It is a good plan," said one director at a homeless shelter who did not want to be named. But others say it does little to tackle the real underlying issues of homelessness in the city and the huge lack of affordable housing in a metropolis famed for its sky-high rents and property prices.

One of the plan's critics is Arnold Cohen, chief executive of Partnership for the Homeless. Cohen says the scheme does not have enough interest in seeing whether families sent out of the city become homeless again or even return to New York. As such, Cohen says, it is only dealing with short-term issues and not doing anything to help people properly turn their lives around. "There is no exploration of whether the family members they are sent to have a long-term relationship with them. They may just become homeless again, but in a new city. Or they may come back," he said.

But other homeless advocates have praised the effort to help families that in many ways have become stranded in New York and welcome the help to get back home. "We are in the compassion business and we are seeing families reunited," said James Winans, development director of the famed Bowery Mission in Manhattan.

Despite the scheme, homelessness is likely to remain a major problem in New York especially in the midst of a brutal recession.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by OTTOKARMA]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Here goes the epuration, what gonna happen next ?
Gays,ppls with AIDS,Minorities ?

Its extremly scary to see it happen, to watch a full system of democracy goin down, used as an excuse like" we gonna help them, but we dont want thems around"

Im sick of seing that kind of things happening more and more and more.

Its goin to turn just like it it turned in Germany right before WWII.

like a well know song say: "Kill ,kill,kill the poors"

Welcome in the new world order, leave your coat, your dignity and your rights in the entrance,thank you

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

I guess thats not as bad as it could be!
Years ago I heard a story that when organisers were clearing up for the Barcelona Olympics; they shot the vagrants.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The world is getting more and more heartless, FFS, im shocked to see that kind of thing.

I mean, who the hell in his right mind would say" ok they dont have any money,no job, they're usless for our city,lets send them away and say they dont exists"

Aaugh , it make me sick of disgust at the highest point, that man dont even deserve to work for the citizens, that idea is simply EVIL !

FFs someone who need help, you dont send him away and pretend he never existed right ?

Its simply disgusting

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by OTTOKARMA
The world is getting more and more heartless, FFS, im shocked to see that kind of thing.

I mean, who the hell in his right mind would say" ok they dont have any money,no job, they're usless for our city,lets send them away and say they dont exists"

Aaugh , it make me sick of disgust at the highest point, that man dont even deserve to work for the citizens, that idea is simply EVIL !

FFs someone who need help, you dont send him away and pretend he never existed right ?

Its simply disgusting

I agree with you. It really is evil although to some people it may look like its "helping" them. But basically all they are saying is "# you we are just going to send you somewhere else and let you be their problem". It really isn't right, imo.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Oh come on that's not gonna work!

What's going to end up happening is that we'll just be sending them back and forth because nobody wants bums. It'll just get out of control and be expensive for everybody. It's not gonna fix the problem and is just going to cause more complications.

The real solution to the bum problem is sending them out to space. The aliens would probably find some use for them. Keep them as pets or something. or feed them to their pets. I dont know

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This is a very disturbing development by the city of New York and Mayor Bloomberg. This is going to relay a message to the world that one of the country's most progressive cities have given up on the poor and unfortunate. "Get these poor people outta here!" says the mayor. "They are making the city look bad." All this will show is that the establish wants to convey a false sense of security to the people in the city of New York and the country as a whole.

If there are no homeless people on the streets people will start believing that the recession is over and things are back to normal when in all reality they are not. This is smoking mirrors once again. What's next, are they going to send the homeless people to resettlement camps in West in cattle cars like the fascists of old. People will say that I am jumping to conclusions here, but give them an inch and remain silent and they will take that mile, mark my words! I'll leave you all with a very sobering quote to reflect on about the recent revelations from New York. This quote is from a religious man by the name of Reverend Martin Niemoller during the time of Nazi oppression in Germany.

In Germany, the Nazis first came for the communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I didn't speak up because I was a protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak for me.

quotes.liberty-tree.ca...

I ask all to remain politically vigilant at all assaults on liberty and humanity, because Niemoller's description is a warning from the past that remains eerily relevant today!

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

What's going to end up happening is that we'll just be sending them back and forth because nobody wants bums.

They're peoples like YOU and ME and they have the right to have help !

The man who had that idea is SICK!
I Hope someone make something against it.
If not, thoses peoples gonna end who the hell know, in camps maybe?

Look like nones cares about thoses "bums"
Once we forget about thems,they can kill them or i dont know the hell what.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

Yeah if they took 10% of the money given to the billionaires club
corporations for bailouts and made jobs for the homeless, there
would be no homeless.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to fix this, just someone who can
read a history book.

Need a place to house them ???

How about the 19 million foreclosed homes ?

Instead we got states talking of bulldozing brand new houses
to get tax values back up !!! It is friggin insanity.

I do not like Republicans or Democrats, but Obama likens himself
to a new JFK or FDR he could follow some of their policy and
make a new WPA or CCC and put ppl back to work.

The WPA and CCC built 100's of thousands of bridges and roads,
and dozens of dams.

They built most of the older state and federal parks.

They could repair the parts of the country that are falling apart now.

With just 10% of the 2 bailouts + stimulus unemployment would hit
the lowest level in the history of the country.

The unemployed we have now could build the giant algae hydroponics
system that would replace all mideast oil and let us keep 100's of
billions here in the US and lower the deficit rapidly.

100,000 gal/acre/yr in the desert ( no farm land needed )

We have the tools to fix the US, but the TPTB do not want the country fixed.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

They could repair the parts of the country that are falling apart now.

Exactly !!!

There lots of areas that need to be fixed, cleaned,tons of houses/building unused and rotting because not in use by anyones, FFS let thoses poor souls LIVE and BUILD their lives again damnit.

The gov is takin a huge profit of speculations on unused areas.
They dont want theirs cookies to go away, they gonna send thoses ppls out of the country only for the MONEY.
Im scared because there is a moment, it gonna fall on OUR heads.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This reminds me of those who say. "Why don't you go back to Africa,Asia, etc, I'll pay for your boatride back". Bad bad bad Mr. Mayor.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I am in agreement with your solution and it is very rational indeed! However, I am beginning to think that whatever is reasonable is sideline by our modern politician for thousands and thousands of pages of legalese drivel and I will provide once such example, the healthcare reform legislation.

Remember folks, as I have stated before on other threads; we are living in the Twilight Zone. Where nothing seems logical and reasonable. It's as though the whole world is being run by escapees from the insane asylum. However, in agreement with you, the government should put those people to work on infrastructure improvements like has been done in the past with FDR.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
First of all, the people are being sent to places where they have family or friends to stay with. They're not just sending people away so they can be homeless in France or Boise. They're sending them to places where someone cares about them and agrees to take them in.

Any other alternative costs lots more money and has less lasting effect. There are already shelters to get people off the streets. Most of these guys avoid those shelters because of their restrictive rules, and because other homeless people there may steal from them, beat them, even rape them. They feel safer on the streets.

A huge number of these people are mentally ill, people who in the past would have been hospitalized on a long-term basis. When psychiatric drugs such as Thorazine came along, these hospitals started closing, the inmates turned out onto the streets with their meds. Unfortunately, many people don't like those meds, because they have some nasty, even fatal, side effects. Some of them are also unable to get themselves in for appointments to get their meds. When they run out, their symptoms return, and they are in no condition to get help. If they begin to act disorganized, they are usually arrested and sent to prison.

There are no longer enough public psychiatric hospitals to house all the people who need it. They wind up on the streets. If they can be sent somewhere people know and care about them, they may be treated, or at least supervised so they take their meds.

What really should happen, I believe, is these people should be treated for their illnesses (including substance abuse). Those who can be rehabilitated should be returned to society when they can work and keep an apartment, ore perhaps live in a sheltered care facility. Those who can't return to society should be kept in a safe, supportive environment so that at least they eat regularly, take their meds, and are safe. But this would require a lot of money, and the attitude that the homeless are not bad, but hurt. We're not there yet.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I don't know - the idea that a small family rocked up to New York and had their hopes dashed probably happens every day - and like the article said 'if they can show they have support elsewhere' well a helping hand can't hurt...

You could always say no - an individual could roll the dice, but with kids? That seems quite sensible to take it on a case by case basis and probably save a load of heartache all round... Not saying it's right in every case, just another tool in the tool box.

I would say once your on the streets the longer your there the harder it is to get out - those first few days / weeks are make or break, one bad friend, one hit of drugs, one mugging who knows?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

First of all, the people are being sent to places where they have family or friends to stay with. They're not just sending people away so they can be homeless in France or Boise. They're sending them to places where someone cares about them and agrees to take them in.

Ok why wasting time and energy when we can save the peoples in theyr country ?
Why sending thems away, think the distance gonna make things better, think it gonna change a damn thing ?

Its a total stupid joke, its just SICK !

Why the hell sending them away gonna change a damn ?
Its a so stupid move, the hell, ppls are blind or what ?

Its a visible method to clean off the streets,cities,states ,from the poors, homeless ,jobeless,mentaly illpeoples, thoses peoples are ME, YOU, and ALL of US!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613

Did you read the article? They are talking about families on the streets, not just individuals. Ever increasingly, people are being displaced from homes due to job losses. They are not talking about individuals being dumped on the streets from psychiatric hospitals.

Any other alternative costs lots more money and has less lasting effect. There are already shelters to get people off the streets. Most of these guys avoid those shelters because of their restrictive rules, and because other homeless people there may steal from them, beat them, even rape them. They feel safer on the streets.

Once again, the article is about families, and not just individual guys.

A huge number of these people are mentally ill, people who in the past would have been hospitalized on a long-term basis. When psychiatric drugs such as Thorazine came along, these hospitals started closing, the inmates turned out onto the streets with their meds. Unfortunately, many people don't like those meds, because they have some nasty, even fatal, side effects. Some of them are also unable to get themselves in for appointments to get their meds. When they run out, their symptoms return, and they are in no condition to get help. If they begin to act disorganized, they are usually arrested and sent to prison.

Do you read the headlines about job losses, home foreclosures, and the ending of unemployment benefits? Do you know any families negatively affected by the economy today? In the past when the economy was good, it was a case of mentally ill, and dregs of society being the homeless ones. It could be in the near future, that somebody you know is going to lose their home. Not just one person, but families.

There are no longer enough public psychiatric hospitals to house all the people who need it. They wind up on the streets. If they can be sent somewhere people know and care about them, they may be treated, or at least supervised so they take their meds.

Sad but true, however, entire FAMILIES are not in need of psychiatric hosptials.

What really should happen, I believe, is these people should be treated for their illnesses (including substance abuse). Those who can be rehabilitated should be returned to society when they can work and keep an apartment, ore perhaps live in a sheltered care facility. Those who can't return to society should be kept in a safe, supportive environment so that at least they eat regularly, take their meds, and are safe. But this would require a lot of money, and the attitude that the homeless are not bad, but hurt. We're not there yet.

I agree with your thoughts here, but what do you suggest happen with the average family, who is displaced due to the economy? How do you propose to rehabilitate them?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It's a great idea to send people where they want to be instead of keeping them where they are stuck. I would hope all cities would look at the idea . It'll saye lots of money and make everyone happy. Definate win win.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Its interesting that I read comments here that to me seem so accurate!
its so obvious that when people just can't cope because of real mental illness, they need help. some people turn to drugs because they can't accept their non-status within a capitialist society, which they feel they have nothing to offer. Blot it out.
Governments certainly have the money to do so, yet create fictious hardship scenarios to validate the lack of spending within needed areas. shameful!!!
Ahhh, but if they only spent 1/8th of the money that they handed out to corporate crooks in this 'economic-crisis (Money-laundering-scam) on real health care.
When your brother is down, throw out your hand and help them up.
The unnecessary competion that corporate driven economics creates-makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

It'll saye lots of money and make everyone happy. Definate win win.

you call that a win/win

"yay no more stinkin poors, no more dirty hobos in our cities streets"

I dont think, in order to save families who have problems,sending thems away gonna change ANYTHINGS !

WTF it gonna happen when the average family gonna be in same way ?
WTF we gonna do when it gonna happen to YOU or ME ?
WTF when the country dont gonna give a damn anymore about peoples in needs, facing the only choice of being SENT AWAY from the country because they CANT pay to stay in the country ?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You should read the article they are NOT being forced to leave it's voluntary. Great idea to make people happy instead of under some strangers control.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join