It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am almost ready to leave ats due to partisanship, disinfo, agendas and lack of research or sources

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish
I used to enjoying coming here everyday to see great threads about thought provoking theories and ideas. Now it seems a large majority of threads are just spinning mainstream media news and nothing but partisan debates come from them... I am very tired of this trend. I respect people's right to their opinion but come on. Lets work together for a common cause of good and not feed into the partisan game... Like I said it is making we want to leave this website. I hope its just the summer effect on this site.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by iamjesusphish]

For most, there is a slot to fall in to.
+If you are anti Obama, there is a group for you.
+If you love Obama, there is a group for you.
+If you dislike Israel, there is a group.
+If you dislike Christianity, there is a group.
+If you are against socalized medicine, there is a group.
+If you are for it, there is a group.
+f you are a debunker of UFOs and the paranormal, there is a group.
+If you think 2012 will just be another day, you are part of a group.
+If you are convinced the world will end in 2012, you will find a group.

It goes on and on... and on.

It is all quite good too, except that... many of us came here to find a free range where there were no groups, no social and belief hierarchy. This is (or was supposed to be) Free Humanica... where there were no majorities, no minorities, no political or challenges to the innate freedom to think outside the box.

But humans are tribal. We tend to cluster... to gather close to our own. It is way beyond racism - a notion that, by the way - has no real basis in fact because humans were dividing themselves since we stoking small fires in little caves.

To rise above our instinctual tendencies... those that do include race, gender, faith, class, etc... it has to be a thing we WANT to do. We have to take that walk of our own accord. Along the way, we will realize that our clusterings are like school children on a playground picking up teams to play a game.

Someday we will, if we survive, arrive there. But until then, to deny what we are, is utterly and completely useless.

We are quite tribal and enjoy the bonds created in the tribal setting. It may not be right... may not be what is best, but it is entirely human. And no matter how badly you or I might want to find free range here... we are in the midst of our own kind... whether we like it or not.

Cheers, peace and best wishes to all

[edit on 9-8-2009 by redoubt]

[edit on 9-8-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

What I have noticed is that people don't do research at all anymore, they don't write anything but merely copy and paste from other websites just to get flag contribution or what ever that is. Before I used to remember theories about how earth was flat and now nothing but more mainstream broadcasts.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ownification

What I have noticed is that people don't do research at all anymore, they don't write anything but merely copy and paste from other websites just to get flag contribution or what ever that is. Before I used to remember theories about how earth was flat and now nothing but more mainstream broadcasts.

(You mean, the Earth is NOT flat???)

J/K!

Yup, and have noticed that the gods on Olympus have repeatedly tried to get some original content with news clippings...

... not everybody is a writer and to that end, not everyone cares as much about content as they do about scoring points for the post.

Maybe a required 'minimum' for original posts?

Nah... that reeks. Never mind.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I will give you an example, here is a thread I made, I did my research, I wrote the whole damn thing and surely it was interesting because it all did come together, but 1 freagin reply ZZZzzz. People used to love these types of threads, now spurring hate is what most people do.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

True story. The formula is thus: The more effort and research and intelligence put into a thread, generally the less popular it becomes.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Teeky

if you had already left you wouldnt be posting now. nobody can stay away.so to those of you seeing logic in teekys post ignore it he just posted on another thread not too long ago.talk about disinfo. edit to note you say that you still post i wouldnt call that leaving then.its kind of like saying honey im leaving you.... then all you do is go sleep on the couch.

i will add this,i had an old account here too and i have always came to the site to look at the latest ufo sitings and conspiricies i joined back up with the swine flu thread(as alot of other people did)this site was about alternitive topics and now it seems more main stream media. but ill take it because it is the best out there in my opinion edit on 9-8-2009 by notsoobvious]

[edit on 9-8-2009 by notsoobvious]

[edit on 9-8-2009 by notsoobvious]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I'm assuming people have no time, if people had time they wouldn't listen to the simplistic black and white view of the propagandish media in the first place. That same black and white view of the world and the universe as a whole is also ariving to ATS, it has been around for awhile now.

I didn't have an account for 2 years never thought I needed one until people started threads with very narrow eye of a needle views, I challenge every thought just to make this place interesting, I even made my own GOD, my first thread lol. Ahh the things you do for broad understanding.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

... some stuff ....

Sorry... I was distracted by the rather sexy SM2-ER.

* drool...

BTW: Ignore is there for a reason. Ex_MislTech is quite correct. Belly aching just reveals how naive or closed minded the complainant is.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

i think the problem with that thread is your title. i started reading it and it is a good subject and interesting case.i bet if you made the title something like "how the universe was realle made"or "what the universe really is" you would have attracted more people. i know its sad that you have to have a catchy title instead of good work to get peoples attention.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I concur with OP regarding the repetitive threads etc, however i would like to point out that EVERY forum of this kind i am a member of is going through the same. And others such as GLP claim to be under attack ona daily basis, leading to mass bannings etc. It would be quite easy to interpret this as a concerted effort on the part of those in power to disrupt the flow of ideas and information exchange, i cannot help but notice the sudden appearance of right wing postings particularly regarding Obama. Whether or not this is part of a disinformation drive i do not know, that's for each of us to decide upon.
However it is most important to remember that free speech means we all have to listen and read we don't agree with, this is the price of freedom. Remember the most potent tool any government or controlling body can employ is inspire apathy in the population. We start to loose focus our attention wanes and "they" get away with a hell of alot more. Not to mention the "divide to conquer" approach!
I personally don't agree with ignoring as i feel it is rude and dismissive, i would suggest a "do not agree" button or something similar would be more appropriate. What do other members think? threads quickly descend into a slag off fest. This may be fun for some and that's up to them, but for me it gets very tiresome and ensures some threads go on alot longer than necessary.
Anyways take it easy people and keep fighting the good fight!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish
I used to enjoying coming here everyday to see great threads about thought provoking theories and ideas. Now it seems a large majority of threads are just spinning mainstream media news and nothing but partisan debates come from them... I am very tired of this trend. I respect people's right to their opinion but come on. Lets work together for a common cause of good and not feed into the partisan game... Like I said it is making we want to leave this website. I hope its just the summer effect on this site.[edit on 9-8-2009 by iamjesusphish]

Regardless about where you are in the spectrum of politics. What is happening in the United States is a turning point in our history. During the long campaigns of the Civil War and American Revolution, forms of communication were limited to mail and phone calls. Since we live in a new information age, keeping the mainstream media out of our lives is almost impossible. Most of the rhetoric is being played by five sides of our system, and the American people are stuck in between the fighting. Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Media. and the Commerce Commission are battling for control over the people. "Above Top Secret" is about debunking or proving various conspiracies. Our arguments and debates actually proved something. Those who are fighting to control our every essence of being are getting their message through. "Above Top Secret" is about those who are on the outside, and our ability to see the corruption being played out on the inside. We are seeing corruption, but be are too busy blaming the other groups.

Democrats, Republicans, Independents, The Media, and Corporations (The Commerce Commission) are absolutely corrupt. Its up to everyone here to choose the side of the people, and to forget about those in the government, media, or corporations. Even though I have a different view of world events than my counterparts, I did start to step back and realized that we are being used. Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Ted Tunner are all in the same boat.

"Above Top Secret" is about "We the People", and it does not include political party boundaries. We have corruption in real time, and the media has failed the people completely.

Journalists were unbiased reporters who did extensive research, created important questions based upon their findings, and then they drill those in power for answers. When you look at a journalist today, they are opinionated reporters with an agenda and loyalty to a specific party. Other words, we have prisoners running the prison. Parts of "Above Top Secret" is about uncovering stories, which have been glossed over by those who should be reporting them.

Lets work together for a common cause of good and not feed into the partisan game...

Agreed. "We the People" versus "Them Who Want/Have Power".

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Most of my ATS buddies have noticed my lack of new threads recently, and it is for this same reason.

ATS is a shadow of it's former self.

Left vs Right dominates every topic. Regardless of what it is, someone will still find a spot to put in a childish name about the other side and it spirals downwards from there.

I really thought better of ATS members. Who cares about left and right? In all likelihood, they are simply run by the same puppeteers to divide and conquer... and they've been getting it easy.

And if extreme political views manage to stay out of a topic, you can be sure as hell (excuse the pun) that an extreme religious or non religious view will be injected instead and completely derail the topic.

Such as a topic about dinosaurs in the crypto forum. It is a sure bet someone will claim their bones are a test from God within the first page or 2 and then the whole topic gets mangled by debating this troll.

Yes, everyone in entitled to an opinion. But at the moment, these opinions are taking precedent over research and information on the forum. It doesn't matter about right and wrong, truth and lies, as long as you get to call someone a Obamanaut or heathen.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
For most, there is a slot to fall in to.
+If you are anti Obama, there is a group for you.
+If you love Obama, there is a group for you.
+If you dislike Israel, there is a group.
+If you dislike Christianity, there is a group.
+If you are against socalized medicine, there is a group.
+If you are for it, there is a group.
+f you are a debunker of UFOs and the paranormal, there is a group.
+If you think 2012 will just be another day, you are part of a group.
+If you are convinced the world will end in 2012, you will find a group.

It goes on and on... and on.

That's about right. Those are the main categories on here these days.

And if you look closely, about half of those topics are exclusively American in content or predominantly American POV in content.

It'S sucked a lot of the fun out of ATS for me, frankly - I'm not the least bit interested in reading USian partisan banter.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I agree. I first started checking out abovetopsecret.com in 2003. I found this website to be a great source of UFO information. That is what I liked about this site. But slowly year by year, I saw this website go from UFOs and prophet Yeweh to politics and birth cirtificates. It's like watching Fox news on above top secret. I remeber when this website didn't have discussion board. I remeber when people took the time to really discuss things, instead of blurting out random anger.

DONT TAKE POLITICS SO PERSONAL

I say we all get back to talking about what attracted us to this website in the first place. Let's talk about the unexplainable, not an opinion of what the news is saying.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, thank everyone for your replies... I may at some point take a break from ats but as of now I may just use the ignore button a little bit more... As hunka said it is a great place for information in times of crisis and I do enjoy ats, just not the trend I have seen growing lately...

peace and respect...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Not to mention the awful words that get thrown around in the forums if a hoax turns up.

Hoaxes happen, people. No reason to use insults and hate-speech. Yes, they're not productive. But that doesn't mean it's the end of the world, or "ruining" the boards. It just means that we've learned for next time.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You may think you can leave ATS...

But once you check in, you can never check out.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Gotta agree.

Been thinking about deleting my account if possible. I was hoping for something more open-minded but I have been disappointed by what I've seen so far. The overwhelming amount of skeptics is bordering on unhealthy.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Bu bye now... been nice knowing ya...

errrr who are you?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join