It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web citizens trying to kill Internet Explorer 6

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Ever since all the client-side scripting stuff started in the 90's, viruses have gone rampant.

..and that's the good thing about new browsers. they let you turn off _javascript, ads, or anytghing you want. so if you want all websites to look like craigslist you can do it.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
I cant disagree more, with canning IE6.

Problem is, I know for a fact that MANY corporate citizens refuse to get past XPpro, and also only rollout updates to browsers they can control and/or monitor.
[edit on 8-8-2009 by smirkley]

I hear you on this, when I used to work with Dell Asia Pacific, I had similar dealings with people adpating Server 2003. When 2000 licensing was discountinued, well it was bad.

Even here at Verizon, we still use XP Pro.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I've never used IE. I don't even use Windows, I use Linux as my OS on most my pc's. I refuse to use anything microsoft related unless I have too. All their software does is cause problems, imo.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
My Windows 95 Pentium II 353 MHZ Processor and 28 Megabites of Ram can't run Internet Explorer 6, just Internet Explorer 5.

I dream of the day when I can upgrade my system to run IE 6!

Sadly Obama gave the Banksters all my money!

Wow you are using a oldschool computer (atleast to me its oldschool I'm still young). I have a couple computers like yours set up in my office just for nostalgia purposes (I'm a geek, lol) they remind me of the ones I used as a child and I'm into 90's computer games and it doesn't feel "authentic" playing them on new computers.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
My Windows 95 Pentium II 353 MHZ Processor and 28 Megabites of Ram can't run Internet Explorer 6, just Internet Explorer 5.

I added a El Cheapo wireless adapter to the rig you mention above (except 128MB RAM & WinXP) to the one in our garage so I can check ATS and weather and gasbuddy.com prices while stoking a cig and creating CO².

That would suck as a main machine.

IE 5 wouldn't pull most websites;
IE6 has it's benefits and downsides...

Last thing that I would do would be to take any advice CNN or their investigations suggest.

Firefox and a few stylish plugins floats nicely on the above rig just fine.

Firefox is the best way to go... I can't recommend some of the plugins that I use because it's clearly forbidden by T&C... Word to the wise

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I can't agree.

Many corporations and people are still using Windows 2000 which can't handle the newest IE.

There are many struggling businesses and poor people that would be affected by needing to purchase a newer Microsoft OS...and possibly a new system to handle that OS.

Maybe in a stable economy geeks will get their way.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Why not just ditch IE altogether and go with Firefox.

A.K.A... "FIREFOX IS TEH BST NOOB U UZE IE U MUST B A NOOB"

*holds up nose and scoffs at foolish IE and FF fanboys

Okay.

Ditch IE and use Opera.

You don't have to be a snit.

I'm not a fanboy of anything.

I use what works for me and recommend whatever that may be to others.

Maybe you're the fanboy.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Back in the day we had turbo-dos, a multi user os that handled 6 users and their apps in 64k (that is K). Every app ran in 64k and the all had LOTS of features. You could also cross port from Unix and use those apps. Of course back then we had to use the hands on thighs method for the women who typed 85 words per min. and the keyboard buffer could only do 64. STOP TYPING AND LET THE POOR PC CATCH UP!!

'Course we didn't have PC lockups and only slow modems that had to climb up hills both ways to get to work.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Security wise there's nothing worse than Firefox
Yes I just said it!

You open firefox and it upgrades itself
it doesn't ask you if you want to updgrade
It just does it without asking you

Remember what happened with exchange 5.5's service pack?

upgrade without asking me?
UNNACEPTABLE!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Netscape Navigator is what I use and it has never caused me a problem to this date.

Internet Explorer always launches some kind of virus, drags too long to load, or crashes my computer everytime I ever try to use it.

Don't know why but that's just the way it is.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I always get asked to update firefox, nothing is automatic.

I am forced to use IE6 at work but I still applaud the effort to get legacy users to upgrade to a different browser or a more standards compliant version of IE.

Sorry for all the folks that are still using it but there is a time and place where technology moves forward and if you wish to view these sites correctly, then you may have to catch up with the times.

FWW: I think the effort started elsewhere, not on CNN.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

Firefox and proud.

If you don't want to upgrade get another browser.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well I'm a sysadmin for a small business and most of our fleet is still PIII, low ram monsters running Win2000. I would try for XP, though realistically even on low graphic settings it's still too much of a resource hog. Anyway's I've made it nearly impossible for our users to even access ie, much less use it and have installed firefox instead. IE in any version is scary, 6 and below doubly so, I can't fathom why anyone would still use it if they have the slightest brain in their heads. if you're running an old machine that can't handle newer software grab yourself a copy of xubuntu, you'll be glad you did.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko

I agree with this. A lot of newer features I would like to rollout can't be done because so many people still use IE6.

Today's browser can really do so much more, but I can't impliment newer technologies as it would shut out a large audience - and given that the web is driven largely on advertising revenue - this would be bad.

If you are still running IE6, please do me a favor and upgrade today :-)

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-8-2009 by crisko]

It's because Explorer is easy for hackers to get into and manipulate pages and other info on the web...

which means it's easier possibly for TPTB to spy on us.....and track our info...

Just a guess though...

But IExplorer sucked 6 years ago.......they are lagging

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Why not just ditch IE altogether and go with Firefox.

A.K.A... "FIREFOX IS TEH BST NOOB U UZE IE U MUST B A NOOB"

*holds up nose and scoffs at foolish IE and FF fanboys

Okay.

Ditch IE and use Opera.

You don't have to be a snit.

I'm not a fanboy of anything.

I use what works for me and recommend whatever that may be to others.

Maybe you're the fanboy.

Hey, I was just kidding.
And yes I would be an opera fan boy.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Hey, I was just kidding. And yes I would be an opera fan boy.

Good enough.

Thanks.

[edit on 2009/8/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I'm in two minds about this one on one hand I detest flash adverts and anything else swirling, beeping or just wasting my bandwidth on web pages and wish most were just basic simple no nonsense html.
On the other hand people should keep their browsers up to date and thing's move on if for no other reason than security.

I think web developers should just stop support on mass only when a lot of sites stop supporting it will people even consider upgrading a good start would be some big sites like youtube and google.

Just for the record though my favourite Browser is epiphany on linux think firefox only less bloated and by my speed testing faster.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Teknikal]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Why not just use Firefox instead? It updates itself regularly and is just better in every way.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
Firefox is the best way to go... I can't recommend some of the plugins that I use because it's clearly forbidden by T&C... Word to the wise

You can use the Noscript addon with firefox as long as you put ATS on the whitelist of trusted sites, then it's not a violation of T&C. I highly recommend you browse that way if you don't want to get malware on your PC. Leave most sites as untrusted.

Originally posted by gaborn415
Well I'm a sysadmin for a small business and most of our fleet is still PIII, low ram monsters running Win2000. I would try for XP, though realistically even on low graphic settings it's still too much of a resource hog. Anyway's I've made it nearly impossible for our users to even access ie, much less use it and have installed firefox instead. IE in any version is scary, 6 and below doubly so, I can't fathom why anyone would still use it if they have the slightest brain in their heads. if you're running an old machine that can't handle newer software grab yourself a copy of xubuntu, you'll be glad you did.

I also can't imagine why someone would use IE unless they don't know any better, and apparently some people don't know any better. But if you're reading this and you're using IE, now you know better.

XP might have some advantages for administrators and a few more bells and whistles, but Windows2000 is the best operating system Microsoft ever made. It runs faster than XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Once you get a more powerful machine, the speed differences don't seem as significant, which is why Vista is tolerable on a powerful machine, but even with a high end PC I can see the extra speed with Windows2000. Too bad Microsoft is dropping support for it.

I've tried ubuntu and it's nice but I haven't tried xubuntu yet, thanks for the tip.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have nothing but trouble with this IE-8. Java script errors. Lockups and slow page loads. If I have trouble with web sites I use Firefox. The only use I have for IE is my mail and I'm working on getting my Fire Fox to receive my IP.
Zindo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join