It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web citizens trying to kill Internet Explorer 6

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Web citizens trying to kill Internet Explorer 6

edition.cnn.com

Some Web designers are staging an online revolt against an old version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, which they say is hampering the ability of the Web to move forward in a cool and interactive way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I agree with this. A lot of newer features I would like to rollout can't be done because so many people still use IE6.

Today's browser can really do so much more, but I can't impliment newer technologies as it would shut out a large audience - and given that the web is driven largely on advertising revenue - this would be bad.

If you are still running IE6, please do me a favor and upgrade today :-)

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-8-2009 by crisko]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Absolutely not!
This is just as bad as microsoft trying to shove IE8 down my throat.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What you got in mind.

I Have Opera, but went back to IE8 because it double posted all of my posts, or tripled posted them.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Why not just ditch IE altogether and go with Firefox.

Using an outdated browser is just asking for trouble.

As far as developers being crippled by IE6, I don't much care about them, but those who are using IE6 are really missing out on much better alternatives.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My Windows 95 Pentium II 353 MHZ Processor and 28 Megabites of Ram can't run Internet Explorer 6, just Internet Explorer 5.

I dream of the day when I can upgrade my system to run IE 6!

Sadly Obama gave the Banksters all my money!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
My Windows 95 Pentium II 353 MHZ Processor and 28 Megabites of Ram can't run Internet Explorer 6, just Internet Explorer 5.

If you are still using that old POS then it's your own fault..

not Obamas...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

not Obamas...

Actually I get a new computer every month! The old ones go to the bottom of Florida Bay!

I love computers! Through them I can rule the world

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I cant disagree more, with canning IE6.

Problem is, I know for a fact that MANY corporate citizens refuse to get past XPpro, and also only rollout updates to browsers they can control and/or monitor.

Hence, I use IE6 at work, and I have no other options, not even firefox.

As far as a webmaster goes, for this reason I know I have to make ID work with IE6 best I can, and I have browser code set to ask browsers viewing my pages to emulate IE7 at maximum.

But it gets harder and harder everyday to continue this effort.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Why is old hardware a POS? That just seems very childish.

As far as IE6 goes, I don't much care for it but it is wrong to force software on users. Let people use whatever software they like. We seem to be entering an update culture, where what is installed on our computers is continually decided by the vendor and carried out with minimal consultation.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

The PII did not come in a 353MHz version. 333MHz to 366Mhz.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple

The PII did not come in a 353MHz version. 333MHz to 366Mhz.

Sadly Obama gave 13Mhz of my Processor to the Banksters!

Evidently they needed the extra power to wisk the treasuries money off shore!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
I agree with this. A lot of newer features I would like to rollout can't be done because so many people still use IE6.

Does IE have a selective _javascript blocker that provides functionality similar to the Firefox add-on called "noscript"? I know IE6 doesn't have that but I've never read about IE7 or IE8 offering that either.

The internet is a cesspool of security threats if you surf with _javascript enabled for all sites, and if you disable it completely, some sites won't work (this site for examples) so selective _javascript blocking is a must for safe surfing.

The version of IE I use is a non-issue since I almost never use IE.

I also agree that "forced updates" are sickening. Newer is NOT always better, contrary to the opinions of some. OK maybe sometimes it's better, but sometimes it's worse. A lot of people seem to think Vista is worse than XP for example. In the case of IE 6 7 or 8 I'll really never know since I can't surf safely without a browser feature like the noscript add-on for Firefox, so until IE offers that I won't even try it.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

not Obamas...

lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:
lol:

I consider 8 times more powerful computers to be too slow with what OS's and program's are like today. You could get a 2ghz->3ghz for less than 50 quid without a monitor, kb & mouse.

Just upgrade to that on the cheap and use firefox instead of IE. Or google chrome is also quite good.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by criskoI agree with this. A lot of newer features I would like to rollout can't be done because so many people still use IE6.

Sorry, I totally disagree. I think we need to take a step backard and go back to browsers that don't include any client-side scripting, Java, VBScript or anything like that. Maybe a better rendering engine with something to replace HTML, but otherwise a dumb client.

Ever since all the client-side scripting stuff started in the 90's, viruses have gone rampant.

Anyway, imh(f)o.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I use Opera, but use IE6 for some tasks.... because IE7 and IE8 suck.

Sue me.

farm4.static.flickr.com...

Opera > ALL.

Why not just ditch IE altogether and go with Firefox.

A.K.A... "FIREFOX IS TEH BST NOOB U UZE IE U MUST B A NOOB"

*holds up nose and scoffs at foolish IE and FF fanboys

[edit on 9/8/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I can't stand it every time Microsoft "upgrades" and I have to learn to do all this basic stuff a slightly different way. Its as if they subtly changed the keyboard layout every few years.

Plus, 99% of the supposedly "cool stuff" you can do with your browser or Word is stuff I never, ever use. Microsoft needs to learn a very special word: FEATURE BLOAT. I don't need fifteeen freakin' toolbars that take up a third of the space of the browser, plus all this random junk popping up every time I want to type a simple letter...the top control panels of the latest version of Word look like the cockpit of a 747. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

I know they have buildings full of Miltons with red Swingline staplers who need to develop "cool apps" so they can appear useful and keep their jobs, but then they jam it down our throats...I'd be willing to pay these clowns NOT to have to upgrade every other year or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, everything after Windows 98 has been nothing but useless garbage that has only complicated my life. I'd also like to add the same is true of cellphones...all I want to do with my cellphone is make and receive calls and maybe some brief texting. I don't need the freaking thing to give me a back massage or whatever. Every time I get a new cell it comes with an instruction manual the size of a telephone book.

Here's a word for you developers and techies: SIMPLICITY. Learn it, love it, live it.

[edit on 8/9/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I kind of like browsing from my text-only Linux server. eLinks baby!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

man, you telling me my Pocket PC has more juice than your PC?

just when i thought i was only one of the few to start blocking access to IE6.
as a web site developer, it is a huge problem to deal with. im glad this i getting more attention.

ripie6.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

Originally posted by criskoI agree with this. A lot of newer features I would like to rollout can't be done because so many people still use IE6.

Sorry, I totally disagree. I think we need to take a step backard and go back to browsers that don't include any client-side scripting, Java, VBScript or anything like that. Maybe a better rendering engine with something to replace HTML, but otherwise a dumb client.

Ever since all the client-side scripting stuff started in the 90's, viruses have gone rampant.

Anyway, imh(f)o.

While I can see your point of view, that won't happen. People expect the internet to be rich and vibrant and full of flashies, if it isn't you will have a hard time attracting traffic. We could place the load server side, but then the costs become prohibitive both in terms of processing power and bandwidth.

It's nice to think that the days of writing webpages in notepad were the best days, but that is just rose tinted googles in action. The thing is, no matter what solution is adopted, there will be those with nefarious intentions that make life hard (or for some, exciting) for the rest of us. I think this is another debate all in of itself.

In the meantime, it would be nice if life was made easier on web admins.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by crisko]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join