It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Runaway U.S. mini-sub found on Norwegian beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
OSLO, Norway (AP) -- A missing unmanned submarine that eluded the U.S. Navy for a week was found Tuesday by a man strolling along a beach in western Norway.

The 3.5 meter (11-foot) mini-sub, or Battlespace Preparation Autonomous Underwater Vehicle, disappeared April 29 during tests off the port of Kristiansand in southern Norway.

"On Monday, the crew of its mother ship, the minesweeper USS Swift, said that they considered it lost for good," said Cmdr. Thom Knustad, a spokesman for the Norwegian joint command.

The submarine is not remote controlled, but preprogramed before its launch to search for mines and, if necessary, destroy them.

www.cnn.com... x.html

However, it never surfaced, leading the Swift to break off its participation in a military exercise and spend a week searching for it.

The mini-sub turned up about 200 kilometers (125 miles) to the north.

A man going for walk along the coast near Stavanger, on Norway's west coast, spotted a small, torpedo-like object marked "Department of Navy" grounded just off the beach and called the police.

This struck me as funny so I thought I would share with you guys. Do you think the Navy should be embarrased about this ?

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
na wasnt thier fault
if u want embaressment try having ur XO drive the sub into the bottom
or when ur anchor just falls out mid patrol

join