It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly woman slammed hard by police at Walmart

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Did search didn't see this posted.

"This old lady was in the parking lot of Walmart in Whitehall, Ohio swinging a knife at people, when the police arrived she wouldn't drop the knife so the police officer took her down, the lady also assulted a kid by hitting him which sparked the crowd of people outside anyway, he was with relatives who intervened and that's when the knife swinging started anyone that tried to help her she began to swing her knife at them threatening them."

thedailyvoice.com...

Would be easy to second guess the cop on slamming the 84 year old lady, but the lady did have a knife. The cop could have tased her, shot her, mace her, or waited her out, but he chose to end the situation quickly with a slam.

How would you have handled the situation if you were the cop?

I personally would have waited her out. At her age she was bound to get tired.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The woman was a viable threat to those around her.

I mean, I dunno about you but my grandmother would take you out friend, and she's almost 100 haha.

In any case, I'd rather see her with a few scuffs and perhaps a mild concussion then being tazed or maced.

That's just cruel to old lady, could have resulted in loss of eyesight or a heart attack or something.

We have to be gentle with our old folk

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That was perfectly acceptable. The *SNIP* had a knife. Dumb accents are really annoying though.

Mod Edit: Hold off on the swearing...cheers -alien

[edit on 9-8-2009 by alien]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What would I do? Offer to play a game of bridge with her if she drops the knife. She would have dropped that knife like a bag of dirt.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Dear lord,

Surely someone was capable of taking the knife away without slamming her to the ground,

Obviously she isn't in her right mind, and seems pretty frail to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Start talking about big bands and Art Linkletter and when her eyes light up, she'd be vulnerable for 2.5 seconds. Then you pounce. The trouble with cops today is that they don't know anything about Lawrence Welk.

What bugs me is that there is an 84 year old lady with a knife. Who failed on that one? Shouldn't she be somewhere quiet, where she can just talk about how nobody comes to see her any more?

Who's militarizing the grannies? Is she a member of a highly trained geriatric terror cell? Osamma Grandmomma?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

HAHAHAHA!

Ohh that's the best thing I've read today.

I thought I smelled an elderly paramilitary force in the works. It guess Obama's Youth Core is taking on a different form eh?

P.S--I'm assuming she bought the knife at Wal-Mart, Which would be pretty ironic.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
"Knife Wielding Octogenarian, Slammed by Police at Walmart".

Anyway you look at it, it's not a very pretty story.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I'd probably had tried macing her, and grabbing the knife from her. But really, the cop wasnt wrong. She was threatening people with knifes, it was bound to happen.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You couldn't really see the take down, but it looked like a regular wrist lock was used to put her down.

No slamming was done.

I see by a few post here that the cops just can't win with some of you. If they tazed her then they would be wrong for tazing an old woman, since they put her down( they did not slam her) with a wrist lock a few are saying they should have done something differant.

Maybe once you hit 65 you are excused from the law and you can wave weapons around anywhere you want and at whomever you want. This is cop slamming is getting a little tired. You don't like it when they use tazers and you don't like it when they use physical restraint.

What the hell do you want them to do, ask criminals nicely to not break the law?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I agree the cop wasn't wrong. Lord knows if the cop hadn't taken action and she had stabbed somebody, the cop would have been blamed for not acting sooner.

But I think that it could be safe to assume that different cops might have used different options depending on how they viewed the threat.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I see by a few post here that the cops just can't win with some of you.

A few would mean like more than TWO, right? I seem to read pretty much overwhelming support for the cops on this one.

Mental illness is a terrible thing. It's worse when a cop is forced to do something that he really didn't want to do to protect the old woman, or others around her.

Man, can you imagine how the cop must have felt afterwards? I would bet you ten bucks that he really didn't want to have to do anything to that old woman, but just had to.

It's a sad story, not because of the 'abusive cop', this time, but because grandma was just failed by society. She should have never been there in that state of mind.

I don't think the fight you are looking for is here.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

But really though, If you are a relatively young cop, you know young a strapping lad or lass, how much thread is an 84 year old woman to you? I mean knife or not, it's not like she COULD have put up much a fight.

Unless she was my grandmother, then you'd have to be very afraid. She once played a game of Scrabble with me, and spelled Chuck Norris.

She won...forever.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Agreed it was a wrist lock and granny went down.

You don't drop a knife when asked too bad things are gonna happen no matter your age.

They didn't even try to restrainer her which is a good thing her bones would have pry been shattered had they done that.

If they get ragged on for that then the next time they can just let her stab someone instead then claim due to public outcry for the elderly they are not allowed to interfere with old peoples habits.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Just wait, I was speaking of the two right now and the many more that will come.

But if my saying a "few" distracts you from the rest of the post then by all means tell me and I will change that little word so that you can understand the rest of my post.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Maybe once you hit 65 you are excused from the law and you can wave weapons around anywhere you want and at whomever you want.

Please make it a little more than 65. I have noticed the as people age (usually much more than 65...say 80 or so..depending on the person) they become almost an exaggeration of who they were.

I doubt the officers have to deal with something like this in an older person very often and they thought like an officer. It is unfortunate that she hit the ground but perhaps she would have actually stabbed someone if they hadn't acted. After the fact they appeared to act appropriately and not respond to the crowd.

For once I actually think this was a good thing though they may need training in alternate ways to handle elderly and perhaps demented persons.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Why extra training?

They are adults who know right from wrong. Its pretty much common knowledge that waving a knife around and threatening people with it is wrong.

What kind of training do you propose for those with dementia? You can't reason with them.

They have all the training they need. Either handle it like was shown in the clip or tazer them. You don't like the physical contact then you can have the tazer. When you threaten people thats the only two options you should be allowed.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
In the grand scheme of the universe....the woman got what was coming to her..

I lol'd at the camera guy...

"this is going on the neeeeews!"

"AH dunno mang, but THIS is sum NUUUHZ footage!"

And she hit a boy in the parking lot? That grandma would be eating my cart if she randomly hit my boy wielding a knife...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
For those who say "it was just a knife" I'd suggest you look at the photo of knife damage in this article. It's Graphic

fugitivewatch.wordpress.com...

I've seem some 90 year old people whose speed and strenght hasn't deminished to the point where I'd want to try and remove a knife from them.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I know that you are 99% in favor of anything a cop ever does. I'm not debating you on this one, his use of force was justified. No need to make it personal. I wasn't confused at all, but it seemed to me like you were trying to stir up your usual 'good cops, bad cops' troll fest.

I see by a few post here that the cops just can't win with some of you. If they tazed her then they would be wrong for tazing an old woman, since they put her down( they did not slam her) with a wrist lock a few are saying they should have done something differant.

A complete generalization, designed with no other purpose in mind but to elicit an emotional, defensive response. You can do better than that.

What the hell do you want them to do, ask criminals nicely to not break the law?

hey, that sounds like a GREAT idea.
Whatever.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to get all defensive and upset about something that hasn't happened yet. But yeah, it prolly will.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join