It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Imposes Sanctions on Syria for Terror Support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
In a long expected move the Bush administration has announced the imposition of economic sanctions against Syria in retaliation for its support of various terrorist organizations. The sanctions will halt direct airline travel between syria and the U.S., exports to Syria other than food and medicine, severs U.S. banking relations with the Commercial Bank of Syria and freezes assets of Syrians involved in a range of prohibited areas from terrorism to weapons of mass destruction and violence in Iraq.

The sanctions also tighten restrictions on arms-related and dual-use exports.

The sanctions stem from the "Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act".

The legislation signed by Bush on 12 December 2003 prohibits US exports to Syria of weaponry and so-called "dual- use technology" -- in other words, technology perceived as having both civilian and military functions. The law also requires that the US president choose two sanctions from a range of six, including restricting US exports and business investment, downgrading US-Syrian diplomatic ties, imposing travel restrictions on Syrian diplomats in the US, freezing Syria's assets in the US, and restricting overflight rights for Syrian aircraft inside US airspace.

The bill demands that Syria end its alleged support for "terrorism", halt the development of chemical and biological weapons, as well as medium and long-range missiles, and withdraw the 20,000 troops it has stationed in Lebanon. It also calls on the governments of Lebanon and Syria to "enter into serious unconditional bilateral negotiations" with Israel in order to secure "a full and permanent peace".

It also says Syria must close its borders off to prevent the passage of any military equipment and anti-US militants into Iraq, where US-led forces have suffered deadly attacks since ousting Saddam Hussein in April 2003.

Bush Imposes Sanctions
Sanctions - Jerusalem Post
Sanctions - Al Jazeera
WorldNetDaily exclusive interview, Fayssal Mekdad, Syria's ambassador to the United Nations,
Worldnetdaily Interview

Related ATSNN Post
Syria Smuggles Missiles and WMD to Sudan

Related posts on ATS
Iraq unloading WMD into Syria

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by Phoenix]

[Edited on 5-12-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Seems this story and submission has been overshadowed by events

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
In Iraq we had UN sanctions (that obviously did not work well). Since this is a US sanction do we really believe it will have much of an effect?

Also I wonder if this could be used as a prelude to an invasion if we find they are in "violation" or is it more to control those in the US that might want to do business with Syria.

I guess my point, this just raises a lot of questions, and it did seem to be pushed aside by the other events of the day.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
nativeokie, I think the track record on sanctions shows that they fail to acheive the goals they are supposed to, Cuba is a good example as well as Iraq.

One of the most interesting links in my post is the Syrian UN ambassadors interview at WND, his ending comment to this question is telling;

"WND: But do you think Syria is next on the hit list?

"Mekdad: I think it would be a very, very grave mistake to do it. I think the lessons in Iraq are very clear, and all of us must be educated. Syrians have their dignity and they can defend their country against whatever big or small force."

top topics

join