Media Watchdog Group Calls for Beck to be Fired For Mentioning Poisoning Pelosi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thought this was interesting, sounds like Media Matters is really gunning for him to be fired.

Fox editorialist Glenn Beck joked on Thursday night that his effigy of the Speaker of the House should drink a deadly cocktail of wine and poison that he personally prepared.

"I really just really wanted to thank you having me over here to Wine Country, you know, to be invited -- I thought I had to be a major Democratic donor, or a longtime friend of yours, which I'm not," Beck said to an actress wearing a paper cutout of Pelosi's face.

After demanding that she drink a glass of wine, he riffed: "By the way, I put poison in your — no ..."

Watch the clip in-full:

"Glenn Beck talking about poisoning the speaker of the House is just the latest in a series of actions, statements, and stunts that have no place on a credible news network," said Eric Burns, president of watchdog group Media Matters, in a Friday press release. "Beck himself said that it is our 'patriotic duty' to stop someone who talks about turning violent. Doesn't he deserve to be held to this same standard?"

The group is calling of Fox to fire Beck over his "racially charged, violent rhetoric," and released a series of clips illustrating why they feel he need to be taken off the national cable news network.

Watch

Full Article Here

Media Matters

I think this really has pushed the button, it doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with the statements he makes, it does matter what he says though. I think this just takes it too far for a 'talk/news' show.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
While I wouldn't be the least bit saddened if she did get poisoned...

I would also not be the least bit saddened if he got kicked off the air.

They are both trying everything they can to divide America.

Tough decision lol.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Where were they when David Letterman was making inappropriate sexual jokes about Palin's underage daughter?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
What are your thoughts?

I think he is a piece of garbage, just like most everybody on both sides of the political news realm / media.

But he won't be fired, because that rhetoric and hate speech goes all the way to the very highest seat in the Republican / Conservative Party: Rush Limbaugh.

He can't be stopped easily and until he is, the hate will continue.

Free speech is a bitch, ain't it?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Where were they when David Letterman was making inappropriate sexual jokes about Palin's underage daughter?

Oh god, do you really care about that enough to bring it up months after even Palin has got over it?

I laughed at that joke, and would again.

Grow up.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

You do realize that Beck is a comedian right? He is always doing foolish accents and making quriky jokes. If the P.C. police do come after him,his popularity will skyrocket. Probably be the best publicity he could ever have.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The "poison" comment is of course ridiculous, irresponsible, and juvenile.

Too bad he and others like him sacrifice valid points for the cheap shot approach. Of course, the truth of the matter is so many Americans actually love this stuff.

There's no accounting for poor taste.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by loam]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

SO, what beck said was a joke too.......and i laughed when i saw it as well

kicking him off the show would be tantamount to sensoring free speech.

The underlying issue is they want him kicked off the air because he exposes a lot of things going on in the administration and with people they are affiliated with.....and they arent liking it.....

they just found something they could latch on to......

It may have been a distasteful joke, but it was a joke none the less......much as lettermans was distasteful.......

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
While I wouldn't be the least bit saddened if she did get poisoned...

I would also not be the least bit saddened if he got kicked off the air.

They are both trying everything they can to divide America.

Tough decision lol.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

I agree! Well said!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I was pointing out the absurdity of going after one person for a tasteless joke when they gave another person a free pass for saying one. I laughed at both, but in all reality they were both completely tasteless jokes that I wouldn't repeat and probably shouldn't have laughed at.

If you'd rather overlook the absurdity for calling for one to be fired but not the other in favor of telling me to grow up though, more power to you.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Freedom of the press and freedom of speach anyone? If you don't like what he says you don't have to watch it.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Hate speech? I'm leaning closer to low-brow humor.

And I'd better enjoy it now. In 50 years, people will have to look at the ground instead of other people's faces, for fear of being arrested for giving someone a dirty look.

Free speech - or the facade of it - is on the way out, no joke.

It's too bad George Carlin isn't still alive. He'd be having a field day.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Yet there was no outrage when Wanda Sykes said the same thing about Rush, and less when Obama laughed and agreed with her.

Wishing people dead for the sake of a laugh is wrong, but since the dems are now the party of death all we can do is laugh at these jokes.

Since we're on the subject of Pelosi regarding this thread topic, all I can think of is what Spock said, "the need of the many outweigh the need of the few".

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Scary stuff when killing (like greed) becomes justified.
Carry on my paranoid peeps.........
Its just living in the land of the greed, blah, blah, blah.

Whats up with all the namecalling and sick jokes anyway?

[edit on 8-8-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Media Matters needs some brain matter.

Beck no more called for the poisoning of Nancy Pelosi than Nancy Pelosi called opponents of "health care reform" Nazis.

Uh. Let me rephrase that.

Well, I'll think about it and get back to you.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Okay!

I gave this some thought.

I've been pretty busy lately and have only been able to catch Beck's show off and on.

I now see what he's doing and you have to listen carefully to get it.

Media Matters doesn't listen.

After all the ad hominem attacks against conservatives by the left lately, such as Nancy Pelosi calling opponents of the "health care reform" Nazis, Glenn has been doing this schtick dressing up his staff as those on the left who do this and poking fun of them in effigy.

Of course, Beck makes the point in his routine that it's wrong to attack people personally and that is his point.

You have to have the capacity for abstract thought to understand and that is why some don't get it.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thanks for your take Grady!
I didnt watch the show. Nice to see he was kidding 'round.
Like David Letterman does every night.
I was not aware Glenn is now a comedian though.
Okay, in this case;
Thanks for the belly ripper!
Thats what I get for commenting without reading the OP!

Still upset that these pointless, divisive threads are getting a million
replies and stars and important threads like the systematic raping of
america are pretty much ignored.
I see this time and time again. No wonder I picked this name.
WE enjoy getting raped and justify it as progress!
Doin' the doom and laughing about it! Luv it!

A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.

The only way to get rid of corruption in high places is to get rid of high places.

Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Some have morals, some don't, most simply ignore them.

A candidate is a person who gets money from the rich and votes from the poor to protect them from each other.

www.witty-quotes.com...

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

The difference is that Beck's joke has a moral.

Letterman's joke was a vicious attack against a minor child of a politician with no intent other than to cause pain and embarrassment and of course to score a cheap laugh.

I have been a fan of Letterman for decades, but of late I can barely stand to watch his show.

Cheap shots will get a laugh out of almost anyone, but as a staple they fall flat in a hurry.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I agree for sure. Morals good.

But bad taste is bad taste.
It is exhibited in increasing frequency lately, it seems.

I watched him years ago but the late night comedy shows have really
went downhill big time, also agree.
Although I could stand to watch leno for a few minutes anyway.
The rest is just too stupid frankly.

Sorry to derail, just still flabergasted at how much we put up with.
I would have to say lettermans "joke" had a moral too,
dont get pregnant untill your old enough to know better!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Tasteless? Yes.

But its up to Fox to decide if they want to fire him or not.

When we start letting groups like 'Media Watchdog' decide who can and can't keep our jobs, then we start letting our rights slip through our fingers.

In the end, he will probably just end up losing advertisers over this. If he keeps it up, Fox might actually end up firing him. But then again, they have a penchant for keeping controversial figures around. Ollie North still has his show, after all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join