It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ways to remove fluoride from our water? HELP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hi everyone.... Today I decided to created a thread on ways to remove fluoride from our water. Alot of us understand that having fluoride in our water is NOT the way to go. If anyone know any methods or ways to simply remove fluoride from our water. PLEASE LIST THEM HERE! THANKS ALL!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Awarenessiskey

There are water purification units that can be bought online and in stores. Some of them have filter options for removing fluoride.

I think one brand is called the Big Berkley.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Distillation will reduce the levels of anything in the water nearly entirely. Some traces of what was in the water may make it through the system but the amounts are so insignificant that it won't matter.

The stuff that's left behind in the boiler bottom is NASTY! You can tell it's working when you run a gallon through and end up with a "coral reef" in the bottom.

You can also distill alcohol with it if you want.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I've got a question: How do you know what works? I am certain that filters are sold that claim to remove fluoride from water. There are pills that are sold that claim to enlarge various body parts, too. The problem is, fraud is common.

I'm thinking you'd need some sort of testing system to double-check whether your filter really got rid of the fluoride.

As far as filters go, I am uncertain whether you can filter out fluoride without the use of chemicals to somehow inactivate or trap it. Fluoride dissolves in the water. AFAIK, a filter won't remove solute from water, but will only remove particles. In order to remove solute, something has to convert the solute into insoluble particles that can then be filtered out. If that's the case, what chemical is being used to do this, and how much of this chemical winds up on your water? In other words, a filter may wind up adding more junk into the water than it actually removes.

The surest way to remove chemical impurities from water is to distill the water. Boil it, collect the steam, and let the steam cool back down into water. Doing that leaves the minerals behind, including fluoride. Probably not worth it, because you spend a huge amount on fuel.

You *could* buy steam distilled water and drink that. It's sold in gallon bottles. *Plastic* gallon bottles, unfortunately, which are now know to leach their chemicals into the water.

Those who live in a rural area might be able to dig a well and use that water. I'm not sure whether well water is free of chemicals (such as insecticides and fertilizer), but it might be worth it. But for the rest of us, I don't see any reliable, safe way to get the fluoride out of the water.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Personally, we use a reverse osmosis system. That is known to remove fluoride from tap water, and is pretty affordable in the long run.

chemistry.about.com...

There's a good page on ways to remove it, and if you look around online you can find a reverse osmosis system for around 200-300 dollars that will hook up to your water line, and provide water for drinking and running to the fridge if you have an icemaker / water dispenser.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Distillation will reduce the levels of anything in the water nearly entirely. Some traces of what was in the water may make it through the system but the amounts are so insignificant that it won't matter.

The stuff that's left behind in the boiler bottom is NASTY! You can tell it's working when you run a gallon through and end up with a "coral reef" in the bottom.

You can also distill alcohol with it if you want.

not posative how a distiller works, but BE CAREFUL! I have heard that "boiling" water will only concentrate the flouride. it will get rid of chlorine...the only way I know of, is RO "reverse osmosis" to remove flouride. you can google it, there is alot of info on it.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hey guys! Thanks alot for some of those great tips. I'm going to try out which works the best and cheapest! Thanks

top topics

join