It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dopplegangers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Over the past few days Spiramirabilis and I have been discussing dopplegangers and what would happen if you ran into yours (Assuming they are real).

I shared a story about my mom and how one day when she was driving she saw a man that she thought was me standing at the bus stop. She pulled up with the intention of offering me a ride. She said that he looked so much like me. He apparently even dressed like me. But as she got closer she realized it was not me. I never saw the guy myself but he must have looked a lot like me if my own mom had trouble telling the difference ( Let's hope this guy doesn't decide to rob a bank in my area!
)

Anyway, over the years I have heard all kinds of ideas on the subject. I have heard people claim that finding your doppleganger would create some kind of odd paradox in the universe which would then cause the universe to collapse.

I have heard that some how you would both cease to exsist and I have heard that absolutely nothing at all would happen.

What this thread asks is to assume that there are dopplegangers. I am not really looking for beliefs as to whether they exsist or not, I am pondering, if they did/do exsist what would happen if you stumbled upon yours. I tend to believe that nothing at all would happen. I mean it is two seperate people that look the same... Identical twins see each other all the time and the world has not come to an end that I know of.

So what do you think would happen if you stumbled upon your doppleganger and why?Also if you have any stories such as the one I presented above, please share them.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Interesting question, I believe that either nothing would happen, the one that is out of place (out of their reality) would be possibly "canceled" out do to the wave function collapse, or more than likely what would happen would be that a new reality would be formed instantly, one that incorporates the new information presented (to compensate and thus preventing a "instant universe collapse").

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Steven King had a good outtake on this subject..not to sound ignorant, but is it your twin, or the exact you, or someone that just looks like you? Id love to meet someone that looked like me, what fun that would be!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Truth be told, I don't know much on the subject either. It certainly would be neat to meet such a person!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

A 'doppelganger' is the 'you' from a parallel universe.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

A 'doppelganger' is the 'you' from a parallel universe.

ahhh..ok..so not your twin, but the real you? Geez looks like I'll have to watch the King movie again..it's been years..hmmm...so meeting the real me might have some dire consequences..but are there any "laws" to this, assuming its real.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As I recall, in the olden days running into your doppelganger was supposed to be a sign that you'd die soon. It was a sinister omen.

Personally, I think that the human form only has so many variations available to it, and that there are going to be lots of people who look similar. Sometimes they'll meet.

OTOH, if they behave in the same way, dress the same, have similar jobs, etc. - then you've got a real mystery. I might go with some sort of parallel universe crossover or something, in that case.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

No laws, just theories, which Gimmie_Some_Truth already presented. Personally I think it is around 80% likely nothing would happen, this is also assuming there is some way, natural or artificial to cross over realities. A lot of the theories have to do with information theory, cosmology, theoretical physics, and quantum mechanics however.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My old best friend used to look just like me. So much so that he was laying down and some drunk girl had layed down next to him, and he wasnt too fond of this girl, so every hour we would switch off and pretend we were the opposite so that neither one of us had to deal with her for too long. no universal collapse though.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Hum...

Maybe an astral shell of a projected double (with enough intention) could
raise a temporary clairvoyance on people close to you and even you.

It could get alot worse than that, like in here:
Astral feedback

or just another pie in the sky.

RP

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
i swear i have seen "me" before...but not in person.
when i was in high school i used to watch TRL and the camera panned the audience in the studio and it was like watching a video of myself on tv.
maybe not a doppleganger, but proof (to me at least) that there are others out there that can look the same as you.
at he time though, i couldn't help but be sad that in i could be living a parallel reality in new york...lol

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
the myth about them is that they would make your life a living hell by doing bad things and getting you blamedand in some they tried to kill you and take your place. tho i'm not entirely sure about that

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by scientific possibilities

Oh, sort of like an evil twin type of thing?

Interesting.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I met my bro's doppleganger, he was Mexican, yet looked so close to my bro it was crazy, now he appeared to be in better shape but his face, freaked me out because it was like seeing my brother, yet I knew it wasn't him, same hair, same face, same eyes, slightly tanner and spoke only spanish, but if I got the two together people would assume they were brothers, also saw someone that looked like my cousin, but as far as dopplegangers go I'd say it's more of a genetic similarity, perhaps proof we are all related.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
hahaha- it's a very interesting and fun idea...!!!

I'd definitely love to meet my doppleganger!!!! - (I always thought I'd enjoy having a twin sister).

And I'm sure we would have lots of fun

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I started a tongue-in-cheek thread about this earlier this year.

Have You Seen My Doppleganger?

I find the whole subject pretty interesting. I can't wait to meet mine!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Bots on ATS!

The sad part was, I read half way through the first paragraph before I realized it! I felt so silly!

Speaking on the issue of Dops, though, I've met mine. He's a pretty good guy, but he pissed me off. My sister actually met the guy one day. Grabbed him at a VERY large shopping mall in Houston, proceeded to "OMG, what are you doing here" and so on. My sister is a very dominant person if you she knows you. She wheeled him to the food court, yammering on and on about her life. They got to the table, and she's still just yapping away. Keep in mind, my sis is about 5'10, long black hair, bright green eyes... beautiful to most people. I suppose I can understand his lack of just outing the fact that he wasn't me.

But she was TWO FEET from him. Sis and I had spent our LIVES together until she moved out a year prior. She was always my best friend and we know each other better than anyone else. She finally got the clue that something was wrong and stopped to ask 'me' what was up. He told her he didn't have a clue who she was. About twenty minutes went by with her challenging him on every aspect of his life, thinking he was playing a game before he whipped out his ID, pictures of his fiancee, parents, and so on.

I was in the service at the time, but when I got home on leave, she dragged me down there to meet him. The two had become pretty fast friends. When he met us in the courtyard, I was floored. Felt dizzy for a moment because I was looking in a mirror... only... there wasn't one. I had the breifest moment of confusion where I felt like I wasn't really me, but HE was. Our eyes were the exact same color, though his hair was a bit darker and longer. He hadn't seen as much sun as I, but our physical stature, bone structure, etc, was visibly exact. Sis took pictures, sent them to my dad who was also dumbfounded.

Nothing too weird happened. But it made me think of a few things. We had similar scars. I'd had a few that he didn't, he had a few that I did, but all the scars we each obtained before the age of 12 were almost identical. One above the right knee, from different things. One on the left wrist from the same thing... (running by a chain-link fence and one of hte upper-barbs hooked into the wrist... not a thing you'd think would happen to alot of people...)

He and sister have since remained friends, but it was just too creepy for me. I've met him on a few occasions, but it was too strange for either of us. It would take a long time to go into specific detail as to why, but it was, nonetheless. I take a weird bit of satisfaction knowing that he is leading the type of life I originally set out to have. He had the opportunity to join the service and went the education route instead. I chose the service. We're both happy, but he is happy in the naive gullible way. He's... too innocent. I feel like I'm the bad twin whenever we're around each other lol!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

There's a Steven King movie about dopplegangers?

Please tell me the name;D

By the way here's a good description (I bolded interesting part):

(German: "double goer"), in German folklore, a wraith or apparition of a living person, as distinguished from a ghost. The concept of the existence of a spirit double, an exact but usually invisible replica of every man, bird, or beast, is an ancient and widespread belief. To meet one's double is a sign that one's death is imminent. The doppelganger became a popular symbol of horror literature, and the theme took on considerable complexity. In The Double (1846), by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, for example, a poor clerk, Golyadkin, driven to madness by poverty and unrequited love, beholds his own wraith, who succeeds in everything at which Golyadkin has failed. Finally the wraith succeeds in disposing of his original. An earlier, well-known story of a doppelganger appears in the novel Die Elixiere des Teufels, 2 vol. (1815-16; "The Devil's Elixir"), by the German writer of fantastic tales E.T.A. Hoffmann

[edit on 10-9-2009 by ZikhaN]

[edit on 10-9-2009 by ZikhaN]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I signed up to this e-mail thing, and they sometimes send me things theyre trying to sell, adn once they tried to sell me this book or something written by this guy about how to go to parrallel universes adn see parallel yous, who will have different talents to you, adn apparently you can learn their talents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join