It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI: Time Travel 101: A How To Guide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
when you travel back in time theoretically (thru wormhole)...or some artificial wave generator.......how would you stay within the same parrallel dimension or universe that you grew up in?

[edit on 8-8-2009 by cpdaman]

Tee Hee that was the whole premise on the TV miniseries Sliders with Jerry O'Connell in it

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I found your post to be well thought out and written very well.
As I was reading it I thought "Wow, this is written in a way that I'm thinking my wife might actually understand it!!"
Thanks for the refresher..

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
great read man you blew my mind i was thinking the same about moving trough time depending on speed but all the extra stuff just made me start thinking more thank you for opening my mind that bit more.

S&F

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Shaddowkhan]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tech-Savvy
I found your post to be well thought out and written very well.
As I was reading it I thought "Wow, this is written in a way that I'm thinking my wife might actually understand it!!"
Thanks for the refresher..

I am glad you like it. I hope your wife enjoys it too!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shaddowkhan
great read man you blew my mind i was thinking the same about moving trough time depending on speed but all the extra stuff just made me start thinking more thank you for opening my mind that bit more.

S&F

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Shaddowkhan]

You are quite welcome. I am so happy to hear that I have opened your mind a bit more. That is a great thing to achieve!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Excellent, i just finished Paul Davies wonderfully slim, concise book

"How to Build a Time Machine" and you cobbled together a great synopsis.

The godel cylinders segway nicely into the tipler cylinders and einstein rosen wormholes. Not to mention Titor's (oh no i mentioned him) description of the 2036 GE time machine design. Sorry, had to put that in.

Anyways, I have maintained 2 things about time travel that seem logical:

1 .If science/ society progresses normally (a big if nowadays), then logically
someone will, at some future time, develop a working time distortion
machine. So, what do you do with it? Turn it on!
Therefore, we have already been visited if this is the case....(already know
about theory that you can't go back before the time the machine was
invented. Multiple worldlines [graham-everett-wheeler] ob viates that)

2. UFO's / any ET ship will very very likely (according to M Kaku and many
others) employ a time distortion unit as 'propulsion' ; you can't realistically
get from point A->B in our galaxy, or even star-star within a reasonable
time period without using a timefolding cartesian point jumping technique.
The distances are too vast. It also explains a LOT about currently observed
UFO abilities.

Starred. Too bad the LHC will take so long to ramp up, i was expecting
a higgs boson/ graviphoton to appear by now....

[edit on 8/8/2009 by drphilxr]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

It really is a great book and a lot of my research involved it(What I did not know already, that is).

I am glad you like it.

Oh and as for the LHC, If we ever get that thing running I expect it will lead to a lot of scientific advances.

Thanks

[edit on 8-8-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I thought this was a 'how to guide'... these are just theories! Talk about false advertisement!

Joking, of course!

Was this thread meant to be a tutorial only, or is it open to discussion/speculation?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
Was this thread meant to be a tutorial only, or is it open to discussion/speculation?

It is an article for ATS news but I welcome any discussion and speculation. In fact I encourage it.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
i have also thought about time travel.. and here is my conclusion on it: its possible, but very hard to achieve... heres why:

if your moving within time, everything (on earth and in space, and everything we do or do not know) has to change with it. so if your going back in time, everything that had changed in the past, has to change back for you to actually go in "time". and it has to change exactly down to the atom, just the way it was, if not, your just traveling back in a different tangent in the timeline. same goes with traveling forward. you can go forward, but if anything changes as you go back, or go forward, it can have drastic changes.. a good example of a movie that kind of explains this: Donnie Darko..

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is a very interesting post.

I have a couple things to add, whether or not they make sense to anyone is another question.

Let's suppose that we could travel at great speeds, say 99.5% of light speed. How does one navigate at this speed? Remember that rock that is flying through space 150,000 miles away is on you in 1 second. Not to mention the main part of Einstein's equation. E-MC^2. When you run into a piece of sand at that speed the energy release would be phenomenal and destroy your vessel.

Point two, just as numbers are infinitely large, they are also infinitely small. If one could (possibly by magnetic resonance or something) reduce the weight of the craft to an infinitely small weight (lighter than a photon) then the speed would not be so much of a factor.

The reason that light is the fastest moving thing measured is because the photon is the lightest thing. It would to seem logical that if the mass could be reduced to something lighter than a photon that speeds in excess of light speed would be possible.

As for practical time travel that I think already exists I will give an example of something that has happened to me yesterday.

I was traveling down a 4 lane highway, with 2 lanes on either side of a 40-50 foot median. I was going 57 miles per hour and about 2 seconds behind the pickup truck that was in front of me. There was a small truck (like a ranger) in front of the truck that was in front of me. The next part of this all took place within 2 seconds. All of a sudden, the guy in front of me slams on his breaks, I in turn do the same thing. The left front wheel, rim, rotor and all had broken off of the ranger like truck and went flying across the median. It hit the bank and went approximately 30 feet in the air, it went right over one vehicle on the opposite side of the highway and landed right in the front of the hood of a black Honda car completely demolishing the vehicle. It then ricocheted off the Honda and flew completely back over the median and went right over the top of my car (it was so close I could see the treads and the writing on the tire, it was a "multi-mile" tire), bounced once behind me and went right over the car behind me.

The point I am trying to make is that at this instant, time nearly stood completely still. As you can tell, I got a whole lot of details in less than 2 seconds. This is an indication of how time had slowed down. If anyone has been in a life threatening situation before I am sure they can relate to this. This is the third time in my life where I was in a life threatening situation and on all three occasions time has nearly stopped during the event. I would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences like this.

So in my mind it seems that it is possible to slow time dramatically naturally. The big question is, how do we control this and use it on demand?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
great article....... there is one thing that can warp both space and time without having to travel very fast \expend lots of energy (which gets to more energy then a sun sized star.... and worm holes and orbiting infinite cylinders....which are all really impossible to obtain.... the simple way is with gravity.... gravity warps both space and time ... if one could harness this power and magnify it and pinpoint it(triangulation for space\time compression) the possibilities are endless from "warp drive" to artificial wormholes(for super long distance) and TIME TRAVEL..... This is the key if we are able to harness and manipulate gravity ... which has already reportedly been done...... just look into Bob lazar and it hasnt been done by us really... we just copied the technology(tried to anyways

[edit on 8-8-2009 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
great thread, very interesting read. I must say i have always been interested in the concepts of time travel, and most of what you said i already knew.

Ive always believed that traveling forward in time can only be done with the mind. What do you think of this? they say nothing is faster than the speed of thought.

snf

[edit on 8-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarrylGalasso

I was traveling down a 4 lane highway, with 2 lanes on either side of a 40-50 foot median. I was going 57 miles per hour and about 2 seconds behind the pickup truck that was in front of me. There was a small truck (like a ranger) in front of the truck that was in front of me. The next part of this all took place within 2 seconds. All of a sudden, the guy in front of me slams on his breaks, I in turn do the same thing. The left front wheel, rim, rotor and all had broken off of the ranger like truck and went flying across the median. It hit the bank and went approximately 30 feet in the air, it went right over one vehicle on the opposite side of the highway and landed right in the front of the hood of a black Honda car completely demolishing the vehicle. It then ricocheted off the Honda and flew completely back over the median and went right over the top of my car (it was so close I could see the treads and the writing on the tire, it was a "multi-mile" tire), bounced once behind me and went right over the car behind me.

The point I am trying to make is that at this instant, time nearly stood completely still. As you can tell, I got a whole lot of details in less than 2 seconds. This is an indication of how time had slowed down. If anyone has been in a life threatening situation before I am sure they can relate to this. This is the third time in my life where I was in a life threatening situation and on all three occasions time has nearly stopped during the event. I would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences like this.

I understand what you are getting at but that is more of a psycological thing taking place. I have had that happen as well. Once as a kid I fell out of a tree from about 25 feet up. It seemed as if time came to a complete stop and truth be told I can no longer remember the fall down. I can remember falling and I can remember hitting the ground but not falling.

I did fall though. What happens is, during traumatic events the brain naturally tries to block the memory to an extent. If I recall correctly the way that time seems to stop has to do with your brain temporarily "shutting down" certain parts of itself to make so it is harder to remember and there by, less traumatic. If I am not mistaken there is also a large amount of adreniline released as well.

That is, if I am recalling correctly, and I do believe I am.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarrylGalasso

Point two, just as numbers are infinitely large, they are also infinitely small. If one could (possibly by magnetic resonance or something) reduce the weight of the craft to an infinitely small weight (lighter than a photon) then the speed would not be so much of a factor.

Take a mag-lev (magnetic levitation) train. The train runs very quickly because it is sort of "floating" above the track and being pushed with magnets. However the train itself still ways the same as it would with out magnets. It is just using magnets strong enough to counter the weight of the train...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

from what i understand we already time travel within our own lives whenever we look back at an event... and we also sometimes remember things in the future....(deja vu) dreams and such... my take on this is that time is an illusion.. much like space and everyonce in a while the mind is able to pear thru this illusion and see the many possibilities of a future event.. yes we can time travel back and forth thru time within our minds. already but to actually physically affect the OUR past even if we had a time machine this wouldn't be possible .. a paradox from i understand cannot happen because there are infinite possibilities being played out .. if we change a time line that is just another time line and when u go back you can only go back to your time line.. now if you go to the future you can possibly change your time line with knowledge you have obtained from the future for example winning lottery ticket numbers
that will most certainly change your present course in your time line... but you could never go back and giver yourself a winning lottery ticket number and hope that when u get back you will be rich.... Time is like train tracks a train cannot go back to change its course as it will prob collide with another train... but it could change tracks up ahead

[edit on 8-8-2009 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think gravity is the key to many things, but if we could create gravity.. how would one get past the problem of a 'black hole'...

obviously you'd need more gravity power, than a black hole creates... yet approaching these levels you would create a black hole

soooo.. if you could harness gravity, how would you use it without destroying yourself

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

correct magnets do not make an object any lighter(they just counter gravitational pull) ... yes you can speed up photons near the speed of light using magnets but thats about it ...magnets will not help us time travel...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Great OP, I am just getting here to read as I love the subject and am very open to the possibility it is already happening.

When deja vous happens perhaps it is someone simply changing the timelines. Some people are sensitive to it while others have never experienced the phenomena.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join