It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI: Time Travel 101: A How To Guide

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Originally posted by WisdomInChains

Yea but if your passing through a portal like that guy had under his sink then your not really slowing time down your just jumping ahead right? How would a time portal really work if your going from point a---->point b whats in the middle an alternate universe? Is time folding on itself or something?

If by "portal" you are reffering to a worm hole... then yes, if you create a worm hole you loop not only time on itself but time as well.

Furthermore is there any proof that time really exist or is it just something we perceive to exist so we can cope with reality.

Time and space are connected. Time is the measurement of the universe (space) as it expands)... Because time and space are connected, when you make a worm hole (theoretically speaking of course) because you loop/fold space on itself you also fold time.

EDIT: Just fixing a few tags...

[edit on 10-8-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Very good post mate S&F

This had me reminiscing about this one time me and a few friends where at the 12th of July bonfires.Me and my cousin Steve where standing and I looked at the time on my phone,2:14 am I told him it was after he asked.so I finished my beer,grabbed another,chugged that,he did the same with his.After those beers I needed to spring a leak so I went to a near by forest,drained the lizard and came back,Steve needed to go for a piss now so I waited on him as he went off to the forest.Now you may think at the moment that this has nothing to do with the subject but when he came back he asked me what time it was and I looked at my phone and it said 2:14 am.From the first time I looked at my phone until the second time,it felt like 30 mins had passed.
My point is has anybody else experienced something like that,when time feels as if its completly stopped?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Originally posted by the red pill

My point is has anybody else experienced something like that,when time feels as if its completly stopped?

Well that certainly is an interesting story you share with us. Actually yes that feeling is quite common during times of trauma for example. Once as a kid I was climbing a tree, I was about 20-25 feet up when the branch broke and I fell to the ground.

I can recall the time just before I fell and I can remember just after I hit the ground. I can vaguely remember a small fragment of the fall and the way it felt was as if time had stopped. Of course it had not, it was just a rush of adrenaline that my body put out to help me forget a "traumatic" event...

As for your story, with out going into an explanation that violates T&C... is it not possible that you were a little... well... not up to your usual self... considering the beverage of choice? Perhaps you looked at the watch and read the time incorrectly one of those times?

Theoretically speaking, even though travel than the speed of light is forbidden by the special theory of relativity, I suppose if you were able to go fast enough you could experience a complete stoppage of time for yourself. As you know, the faster you go, the slower time moves for you... Hmmm... Interesting.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

My choice of drink could have been a factor but my cousin remembers it exactly the same as I do but then again a lot of weird things had been happening during that time of my life(when I 'woke up').Perhaps it might have been that the actions that happened where quicker than we thought.

As you said
"the faster you go, the slower time moves for you"

[edit on 10-8-2009 by the red pill]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Was there an experiment with two clocks, one on the ground and one at the top of the cn tower.
Because the top of the tower is moving faster through space than the ground because of the spinning of the earth.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Perhaps it might have been that the actions that happened where quicker than we thought.

That very well could be. Either way, time is really a fascinating subject. The idea that you can stretch or shrink time and that no two people experience it the same way... That is so neat to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by remymartin
Was there an experiment with two clocks, one on the ground and one at the top of the cn tower.
Because the top of the tower is moving faster through space than the ground because of the spinning of the earth.

Was there? None that I am aware of, but that does not mean that there never was such an experiment it just means I am not aware of one.

There was one involving two atomic clocks set to the exact same time. One was placed on a jet and flown around the world while the other remained still on the ground. The one that flew lost around .00001 seconds of time.

This experiment proved Einstein right when he said that the faster an object moves, the more time slows down for said object.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Does all time really occur at once?
'
'
'
'
'
'?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The clocks on GPS satellites (which are some of the most accurate to ever exist) have to be set continuously to keep them synchronized to clocks down on Earth. On this synchronization depend thousands of activities that take place in our world today.
From national security to aviation navigation, to getting from point A to B in your car, using your GPS receiver.
And why is that? Because Einstein was right, time in those clocks advances differently to time in our watches.
This is all done today according to the principles laid down by Einstein in his theories.
So he has been proven right........again.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
Does all time really occur at once?

That is what is suggested by these theories.

Each person is on a different time line. No two people experience time the exact same way.

According to theories such as string and M theories, there are multiple realities/universes/time lines all existing at once.

So yes all time lines exist at once but at the same time, time is not the same for everybody...

That is why a person moving at the speed of light is able to slow down time for themselves with out affecting the time line of everyone else.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rush969
The clocks on GPS satellites (which are some of the most accurate to ever exist) have to be set continuously to keep them synchronized to clocks down on Earth. On this synchronization depend thousands of activities that take place in our world today.
From national security to aviation navigation, to getting from point A to B in your car, using your GPS receiver.
And why is that? Because Einstein was right, time in those clocks advances differently to time in our watches.
This is all done today according to the principles laid down by Einstein in his theories.

That is right. This has also been proven with the experiment involving two atomic clocks, one sitting on the ground and one traveling in a jet around the world. Even though they were both set to the exact same time before the experiment, the clock that was on the plane lost time... This happens because the faster you move the more time slows.

As you pointed out the same happens with satellites that have clocks on them as well.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Let me give a little example of why I don´t believe in those multiple time lines (infinite number).
Let´s say you make an appointment to go to your dentist one month ahead of this day.
You go on with your life and encounter a few instances where you are undecided. You flip a few coins so to speak, during that month. So your time line has split several ways right?
What stops all of your equal selves to show up for the appointment together? Each one is in a new time line for him where each one has a different “same” dentist?
What if the dentist had less, deciding (universe splitting) moments?
What if the dentist had ZERO deciding moments?
Shouldn´t all of your equal selves show up together for the appointment?

Maybe this is not the way to go about this, but I would certainly appreciate an explanation.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rush969

I am not sure you understand what I mean when I refer to multiple time lines. keep in mind that this part of science is really just now beginning to be looked into and ultimately even scientists don't know much about it yet.

The way it reads out to me is that each object in the universe has dedicated to it a timeline of its own. Now whether that means there are infinite timelines tide to each object.. I don't know.

I mean,If you think of all the infinite possibilities that could happen to you in a life time, well only a few of them actually happen... The question is, is there another time line where you woke up this morning and (for example) Ate cornflakes for breakfast instead of lucky charms? I just don't know. At this point in time no one knows.

I mean all these theories are called theories for a reason, because the majority of the topics within these theories can not yet be tested, they will remain mere theories.

To put it simply, the best explanation I or anyone else can offer as to how it all works is... We just do not know yet.

Now I know that is an unsatisfactory answer But I do suspect that one day we will have the technology to test out these theories and ultimately prove them right or wrong.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Very good post mate S&F

This had me reminiscing about this one time me and a few friends where at the 12th of July bonfires.Me and my cousin Steve where standing and I looked at the time on my phone,2:14 am I told him it was after he asked.so I finished my beer,grabbed another,chugged that,he did the same with his.After those beers I needed to spring a leak so I went to a near by forest,drained the lizard and came back,Steve needed to go for a piss now so I waited on him as he went off to the forest.Now you may think at the moment that this has nothing to do with the subject but when he came back he asked me what time it was and I looked at my phone and it said 2:14 am.From the first time I looked at my phone until the second time,it felt like 30 mins had passed.

Yeah, that happens to me all the time when I'm drinking too. Maybe they put time particles in the beer

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You know how when people are in a life or death situation they say there whole life flashed before there eyes, thats what i mena by does all time occur at once. The past, the present, the future is it all happening at the same time? Does time really flow? or is it just an illusion so we can understand reality?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
amazing post, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but could i ask some speculative questions?
i will anyway(laughs),
A hurdle that I come to when i believe firmly that we can one day time travel, is the question that is, If we one day can time travel, where are the men from the future, today, saying this is how to time travel, lets all live in a Utopia in the future!(etc).
But doesn't that ponder as to whether we are in some great cycle of time travel, where men from the future have gone back in time to plant seeds of knowledge to shape the world, and left some horrific events in history as they shape us as a society?
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by rush969

That is right. This has also been proven with the experiment involving two atomic clocks, one sitting on the ground and one traveling in a jet around the world. Even though they were both set to the exact same time before the experiment, the clock that was on the plane lost time... This happens because the faster you move the more time slows.

As you pointed out the same happens with satellites that have clocks on them as well.

You should know that Bob Lazar said almost the same thing.
2 Atomic clocks were set side by side. An interesting device by the way.
I think Hewlett Packard makes one. Something about Cesium atoms.
Anyway, very accurate. One was placed on a jet airplane. Time on the plane traveling at 30,000 feet progressed faster than the clock on the ground. Bob said this was because
Earths gravity is weaker at 30,000 feet.
Who is correct? You or Bob Lazar?
BTW, what is your educational background? Just curious.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Anyway, very accurate. One was placed on a jet airplane. Time on the plane traveling at 30,000 feet progressed slower than the clock on the ground. Bob said this was because

I am sure he has. That experiment is a well known experiment. You can find all kinds of info about it on the internet and in books and other such mediums.

As for who is correct. The question is not who is correct, ME or Bob. The question is who is correct, Albert Einstein Or Bob.

If you are under the impression that I came up with the special of theory of relativity, you are mistaken. That is Albert Einstein. All I have done is take a small part of his theory and break down what he was saying into laymens terms...

At the same time I want to point out that I never specified what causes time to slow... I simply made it easier to understand what Einstein is suggesting.

There is something called Time dilation which has been proven to be a true thing with the experiment I mentioned about. The equation for time dilation is able to accurately predict how much time will slow down for an object based on its speed.

With all due respect to Bob lazar I am taking Einsteins side in this one because his theory works equally in space where there is no gravity. That and I have a feeling Einstein know a bit more about the theory then Lazar... Hey , he did write it after all...

As for my education level, as irrelevant as that is seeing how I am just simplifying what Einstein has suggested, I will be pleased to tell you that I am a college graduate with a degree in sociology and am working toward a masters in History ( I hope to be a history professor one day...)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Anyway, very accurate. One was placed on a jet airplane. Time on the plane traveling at 30,000 feet progressed slower than the clock on the ground. Bob said this was because

I am sure he has. That experiment is a well known experiment. You can find all kinds of info about it on the internet and in books and other such mediums.

As for who is correct. The question is not who is correct, ME or Bob. The question is who is correct, Albert Einstein Or Bob.

If you are under the impression that I came up with the special of theory of relativity, you are mistaken. That is Albert Einstein. All I have done is take a small part of his theory and break down what he was saying into laymens terms...

At the same time I want to point out that I never specified what causes time to slow... I simply made it easier to understand what Einstein is suggesting.

There is something called Time dilation which has been proven to be a true thing with the experiment I mentioned about. The equation for time dilation is able to accurately predict how much time will slow down for an object based on its speed.

With all due respect to Bob lazar I am taking Einsteins side in this one because his theory works equally in space where there is no gravity. That and I have a feeling Einstein know a bit more about the theory the Lazar... Hey , he did write it after all...

As for my education level, as irrelevant as that is seeing how I am just simplifying what Einstein has suggested, I will be pleased to tell you that I am a college graduate with a degree in sociology and am working toward a masters in History ( I hope to be a history professor one day...)

Good for you on your masters degree.
I was just curious.
Wow! What a google search that was.
Well, it appears they are getting closer to the truth.
For starters, you can buy your own atomic clock at Agilent
Technologies, Inc. but don't bother. That rackmount design
Model 5071A Atomic Clock
by Agilent design is getting even smaller.
Check out Wiki. Atomic Clock
Someone is curious!
Scientists are putting atomic clocks in jets and then asking the
pilot to fly a parabolic curve which gives you ZERO gravity.
NASA has a jet that does this all the time to train astronauts.
They call it the Vomit Comet.
I'll have to read more what they found out.
I think there is a relationship between gravity and time.
Here is a good experiment.
2 jets flying at 30,000 feet. Both have the new and improved
atomic clocks.
One flies straight. The other flies a parabolic curve to get zero
gravity.
If both jets land and the parabolic flight clock is clearly behind the other
clock, what does that mean?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Good for you on your masters degree.
I was just curious.

Thanks...

Wow! What a google search that was.

Google has not been one of my research tools for this article.

Well, it appears they are getting closer to the truth.
For starters, you can buy your own atomic clock at Agilent
Technologies, Inc. but don't bother. That rackmount design
Model 5071A Atomic Clock
by Agilent design is getting even smaller.
Check out Wiki. Atomic Clock

Yep, scientists study and research and experiment all the time about a multitude if subjects so it seems that progress is inevitable.

Someone is curious!

"Some one" Puts it a bit lightly. Scientists have been VERY curious about Einsteins theory ever since it was first published.

Scientists are putting atomic clocks in jets and then asking the
pilot to fly a parabolic curve which gives you ZERO gravity.

Correct you can achieve the affect of zero gravity by dropping altitude at a specific angle... But the experiment with the two atomic clocks did not involve zero gravity simulation... They flew it around the world once...

NASA has a jet that does this all time to train astronauts.
They call it the Vomit Comet.
I'll have to read more what they found out.

See above.

I think there is a relationship between gravity and time.

That is correct and that is mentioned in the general theory of relativity.You can find the original published paper from Einstein on the web if you want to learn more about it.

Here is a good experiment.
2 jets flying at 30,000 feet. Both have the new and improved
atomic clocks.
One flies straight. The other flies a parabolic curve to get zero
gravity.
If both jets land and the parabolic flight clock is behind the other
clock, what does that mean?

Again you are getting into Einsteins general theory of relativity rather than his special theory of relativity. Even though this article is about the latter I will answer anyway.

If you "generalize" the theory to include gravitation, Einsteins equations of relativity predict that gravity, (or the curvature of space/time by matter), not only stretches or shrinks distances (depending on their direction with respect to the gravitational field) but also appears to slow or "dilate" the flow of time.

You see that is what General theory does, it is the same theory, essentially it just generalizes a bit to include a few things that Special ( AKA specific theory) does not include.

Lazar, if he was refering to anything was referring to general theory, not special...

If you are interested in general theory ( and I certainly understand why you would be) here is a website that talks in great detail about both special and general theory.

www.bartleby.com...

As I have said, this article is about special theory.... Thus my sticking within the confines of special theory so much... I am sure you understand my wanting to stay on topic and not cause thread drift.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join