It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we can never have true world peace

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I was one of those people who always promoted world peace and who always wanted it to happen. For everyone to just be happy and get along and never have problems again.

I started thinking about it, and we really wont ever be able to have world peace.

You don't know what's good until youve experienced the bad. The sweet isnt as sweet without the sour. You dont know what love is until youve experienced hate.

The point is, nothing would ever be good or bad. it just would "be". Like when you are in a relationship for a long time and you are past the stages of silly arguments and you just learn to live together. Theres not really any huge highs or lows, your just kinda stuck. But once you lose that person, you really realize what you lost.

We cant have world peace in the way everyone thinks we can. But what we can do is try to live our lives the best way we know how to. In a way that makes each of us happy, and in a way that can influence other people's lives positively.

If we can all do that at the end of the day, that will work towards a better future. Not relying on the .01 percent of the world population who are country leaders to make all the peace making decisions for us.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I agree, but not for the reason you stated.

I think world peace will never happen simply because humanity will never get along. It's just not a feasible option. There will ALWAYS be people who want to get together and oppress or control some other group of people.

It's simply in our nature to do this. Leaders will lead and followers will follow. The sad thing is that some of those leaders will be inherintly evil.

There is a way to have peace among these individual communities however, it just requires very small federal government and very huge municipal governments where everybody votes on virtually anything.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
yeah exactly. no two people are ever going to always agree on the same thing. we all have our own opinions and minds and whats right to one person is wrong to the other, etc etc.

we just need to come to the realization that YES we are all different, and learn how to work with those differences and get along as best as we can.

we cant just judge people for having different views on things. i dont agree with republicans on most issues, but i can still at least see where they are coming from. if you cant do that, and you only think you are right all the time.. then you are just selfish and foolish.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

There will ALWAYS be people who want to get together and oppress or control some other group of people.

explain to me how you KNOW this.

like as fact.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CSquared288

Because we live in a world of individuals, with individual wants and needs.

Now granted, there are people who THINK the same, and who WANT the same things. These people will always band together against some other group of people with similar but different ideals.

I don't need the 37 years of life experience to know that. You need only look as far as the playground of your kids to notice how this world works.

Even animals band together against different tribes of their own kind. Look at wild chimpanzees and fruit trees, google it, you will see a very "human" behaviour going on there.

And it's not that much of a fact as it is human nature. Can that change? Yes, but it requires that we move out of the lizard brain and begin to live in our upper cortex, this is the key to not being so animalistic.

And yes, you may disagree, but we are animals, and act as such everyday.

To tell you the truth, I don't know anything, I have educated opinions on what I think the world is, and why it is, and where it is going. But I have more educated opinions about humanity than anything else.

You will NEVER get everybody to agree friend, sorry, at least not 6.9 Billion people.

Hell America has a problem getting 310 Million people to agree.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
hell, even people and the people they love most in this world disagree.

its a fact of life that we cant change. but we can learn how to deal with it differently

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You will NEVER get everybody to agree friend, sorry, at least not 6.9 Billion people.

I just don't buy that and all you have really offered me is conjecture as proof.

Without persons actively working against a societal coalescense, I believe that the natural progression of reason would lead everyone to a common ground. This isn't fact, this is just my own two cents.

Have you ever thought that the very fact that people who share the same general philosophy as you are making this task harder? If your choosing not to actively look for ways to compromise and achieve this "world peace," how do you know you're not missing a infinite number of possibilities?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

its a fact of life that we cant change. but we can learn how to deal with it differently

I laugh to myself because you guys are calling this fact. WHERE IS THE FACT IN THIS??

show me

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
do you not argue with your family ever? have you never argued with one person ever?

if so, ive gotta say WHOA that is amazing.

look people are always gonna argue. there will always be fights.

but at the end of the day you realize all those minor disagreements dont matter. you still love the person you are fighting with.

and its the same with everyone in the world. we will always have our disagreements, but why cant we learn to accept that and just move on?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CSquared288

There will ALWAYS be people who want to get together and oppress or control some other group of people.

explain to me how you KNOW this.

like as fact.

All anyone one who really wants to know the answer to this will crack open any history book. Human history no matter what part of the world they look will find one group taking advantage of another somewhere in their past.

Can we change?
That's the real question IMO.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Lol wow you actually need examples?

Hmm, Nazi Germany? Pol Pot, any case of discrimination or genocide... Take your pick. People getting organized to kill other people... I guess it never happened before

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

If you don't see how the world is around you, then it's not our job to show it to you friend.

And yes I will agree with you, that there are ways of having compromise and making this world better, but will you ever have everybody agree to same terms and conditions of life? No, you won't.

The only way to do that, is to make them through some force such as government or military dictatorship, and that's not the world I want to live in.

Besides as the OP said, you need to bad to have the good, perhaps a song I hold very dear to me might explain it better.

It takes a night to make it dawn
And it takes a day to make you yawn brother
And it takes some old to make you young
It takes some cold to know the sun
It takes the one to have the other

And it takes no time to fall in love
But it takes you years to know what love is
It takes some fears to make you trust
It takes those tears to make it rust
It takes the dust to have it polished

It takes some silence to make sound
It takes a loss before you found it
And it takes a road to go nowhere
It takes a toll to make you care
It takes a hole to make a mountain

Source

If your looking for facts, then your search will last forever, there are no facts, about anything. All we have are educated opinions friend.

~Keeper

[edit on 8/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I don't understand your point. What do arguments with my family have to do with the ability to accomplish world peace? I don't disagree that there will be arguments, that's the natural result of two conflicting pieces of information.

I guess our definitions of world peace differ. I see nothing wrong with arguments. If they're done right they should be constructive. It's when one party forces their piece of information onto another party, regardless of the informations' merit, that's when problems arise.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hahah well you go ahead and continue with your inflated sense of self-importance. I wasn't aware the fact that your 16 years my senior makes your points more valid then mine.

I could be very well that it just took me a shorter time to "see the world around me"

LOL

Anyway

And yes I will agree with you, that there are ways of having compromise and making this world better, but will you ever have everybody agree to same terms and conditions of life? No, you won't.

Why is it that you ASSUME disagreement leads to violence or "non-peace?"

If people disagree they DO NOT HAVE TO BE INFLAMMATORY. It is just as easy to remain cordial, respectfully disagree with eachother, thank eachother for imparting their perspective (any information is good information) and be on their merry way.

Is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Besides as the OP said, you need to bad to have the good

aha now I see where the disconnect is.

You guys aren't looking for world peace, you're looking for world Utopia.

You want obtain the things you desire (the good), but you can't do that without some "work" (the bad?).

"World Peace" simply infers coexistence, not happiness for all, forever.

[edit on 8/8/09 by CSquared288]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

We already co-exist. That's not the debate here. The debate is whether or not we can co-exist in complete piece. There is no Utopia, that term is a fairytale and it only happens in really messed up cult sects.

So, I will ask the question, what is YOUR view on the matter, so far you've only asked us to explain ours. Let's see what your vision is, I'm actually quite interested.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

It takes a night to make it dawn
And it takes a day to make you yawn brother
And it takes some old to make you young
It takes some cold to know the sun
It takes the one to have the other

And it takes no time to fall in love
But it takes you years to know what love is
It takes some fears to make you trust
It takes those tears to make it rust
It takes the dust to have it polished

It takes some silence to make sound
It takes a loss before you found it
And it takes a road to go nowhere
It takes a toll to make you care
It takes a hole to make a mountain

Source

[edit on 8/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

perfect song for that. and its the truth. you dont really no what is beautiful or good in life until you experience the opposite

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

No it's not a difficult concept, It's one the easiest to understand I've ever come accross.

But try and put it into play on a world level, it won't work, at least not to the full extent you want it to be.

And not all disagreements lead to violence, that would be a foolish statement. However, we as humans are still animals. And believe or not, most people feel the need to get physical when debating things that are of TRUE importance to them and shakes their belief structure.

~Keeper

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
well thats why i say "true" world peace.

the fact that everyone will still always disagree and argue.. some people have extreme personalities and take that to a level thats unecessary i.e. politicians mostly.

geminis are said to have that characteristic too, and every gemini ive ever met has been very stubborn and had extreme highs and lows in their personality.

i mean wars have been started in the past over a guys wife cheating with him on another guy.

There will never be a simple answer to world peace.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

We already co-exist.

I wasn't aware bombing, invading, usurping, deceiving, shooting, stabbing, drowing, kidnapping, poisoning, fighting, destroying, defacing, etc. were all actions of a society that was "co-existing." There's no "co" about it when one person is forcing their perspective upon someone else. So I am going to have to respectully disagree with your assertion that we co-exist.
MAYBE, taken in the most literal sense, "co-exist" could mean that 'we all exist together on this earth/plane, whatever. But you would have to be twisting definitions to fit your point. The "co-" part ends the second somebody infringes upon someone else's freedom.

I have no detailed, thought-out stance on this subject. I vehemently believe that world peace is possible. Maybe it stems from the fact that I simply can't believe in anything else, who knows? But I have seen the power of the individual as well as the power of the collective. I have such faith in our abililty to overcome adversity I can't even put it into words.

I guess world peace, in my opinion, would be every individual co-existing with the understanding that one should not impinge upon, in any sense, someone else's freedom to do as they please, provided that they understand the same.

If we could work that into a fundamental societal principle, we would be unstoppable.

I believe with ever fiber of my being in the potential of the human race.

We may be lost, scared, alone, and confused. But we're not gone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join