It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter and Small Plane Collide Over Hudson River

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

tenth, to understand you should look at an Aviation Chart of the area.

The VFR exclusion zone where the accident occurred is very constricted, both vertically and horizontally. Combined with the (possible) inattentiveness of the Piper pilot, as he was sightseeing with his passengers....well, it just turned out badly.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
So they were flying through a tunnel. That makes it hell of a lot more dangerous, as this incident proves so tragically.

Maybe they need to set up some sort of radar sensors along the river, as I am sure the buildings block a lot of areas from the line of sight. That way they can have a constant computer grid of what is in that airspace in order to better direct /divert traffic.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Alright, well in that case, I can understand.

I wasn't aware that planes and helicopters weren't allowed to go up to certain heights or in either direction when in these zones.

However, I can see how that makes sense, I'm sure aviation rules in NYC have been strictly updated and kept to code since 9/11.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
It's called a midair collision. You know, the skies may look like they are unlimited, but they're not. Why is this story on a conspiracy site?

Actually the members of ATS typically discuss aviation accidents especially the more bizarre or mysterious ones.

And often times conspiracy theories do get attached to them for various reasons. Like the recent Air France wreck.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

However, I can see how that makes sense, I'm sure aviation rules in NYC have been strictly updated and kept to code since 9/11.

~Keeper

You would think so, wouldn't you??

The VFR 'corridor' was closed down, for some time after 11 September, but the airspace is pretty much back to where it was before. At least, thats my understanding. I've never flown VFR there, all airline under IFR, that's one reason for the Class B airspace, requires positive control to operate in it.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I know some people who fly in that area - joke is that flying conditions
are IFR for I FLY RIVERS

Cory Lidle accident was in many respects similar - he and instructor were
flying north along East River on other side of Manhattan. Realize too
late were too far north of where should be. Tried to execute hard
turn to get out of traffic pattern for La Guardia. Didn't make it and slammed into apartment building.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
They say a picture is worth 1000 words, photo journalism 101.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

wow

Thank you for finding the only photo of the incident that I've seen. I wonder who took that pic? I haven't seen that on the mainstream media yet.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Do you think this was actually intentional?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

"Intentional"????

NO!! It was, however, disturbing and enightening to see the words used by the eyewitness, the term "like a missile".*** Just shows how little some people really know, even a pilot!! A Piper, that model, is NOTHING like a missile!! In the photo, I thought I saw the left main landing gear, which means it wasn't a retractable, so it was "Cherokee Six" or a newer "Lance". Cruise speed? About 160 MPH

Missile???!!! Heck no. Tragic accident? Heck yeah.

*** I mention this to compare to other incidents, and the unreliability, sometimes lack of credibility of certain eyewitnesses' statements!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Just to add to this, someone caught the event on there home video

www.nbcnewyork.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thank you for finding that, asala.

Chilling.

One thing I find interesting, though, and this shows just how amateurs, even news sources, can make such simple mistakes: In the body of the article, the NBC exclusive, it says the airplane impacted with its left wing....patently incorrect. Shame, really, either someone got confused because the airplane is heading towards the camera, and left/right is reversed, or they didn't bother to look at the other still photo, which is available from other sources, and is right here in this thread.

I only mention this because all too often such mistakes are used, and repeated, in a certain "conspiracy theory" subject that we all know happened nearly eight years ago.....

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Update:
FLIGHT CONTROLLER SUSPENDED, HE WAS ON THE PHONE

New York, 14 Aug.
Two orders for two officials at the air traffic control centre in Teterboro, New Jersey, which is in charge of the airspace over the centre of New York have been carried out. Both men have been suspended, if only as a precautionary measure. The moves were taken by the investigators of Saturday's crash which killed 9 people, including 5 Italians. The flight controller who was assigned the task of following the tourist plane’s path from take-off until just before the moment of impact has been suspended. In reality, at the time of the crash, the man had already handed over the task of following the flight path to the air traffic control centre at Newark airport and therefore he had no particular responsibility when the accident happened. The procedure was followed correctly but it has come to light that in the moments preceding the crash, instead of carrying out his duties, he was in fact making several personal phone calls.
Experts believe that the circumstance had not effect on the events but that his conduct was "unacceptable" and the controller has been put on enforced leave. A similar suspension has been enforced on his superior, an inspector who should have been on duty at Teterboro when the disaster took place but who was in fact absent.

www.agi.it...
www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Am I right in thinking that it is the planes responsibility to stay well clear of the helicopter? It's like one of those standard rules of the sky I think.

So that would indicate the plane was at fault, probably looking everywhere but where they were going - sightseeing.

No. All aircraft have the responsibility of looking out for other aircraft - whether that be airlines, helicopters or light aircraft.

Here's a video of the incident.

www.liveleak.com...

Looks like they saw each other but by then it was too late.

I mean were talking about the air here, where there is ALOT of space to say the least.

You would be surprised when flying in light aircraft how many other aircraft there are, and how close to them you get. You really have to keep your wits about you so to speak, or else you will eventually bang into someone.

[edit on 14/8/2009 by C0bzz]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join