It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Snoring Yourself To Death?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

(ARA) - Do you wake up after 8 hours of sleep feeling like you haven't rested at all? Do you suffer from unexplained headaches, high blood pressure, cardiac problems and excessive daytime sleepiness? All your problems could stem from snoring.

Snoring isn't just bad for your relationship with your bed mate -- it's bad for your health too. That's because snoring is the most common symptom of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a condition that literally causes you to stop breathing dozens, sometimes hundreds, of times at night. And you often aren't even aware it's happening.

People suffering from OSA stop breathing at night when their jaw, throat and tongue muscles relax, which causes the airway to become obstructed. Snoring is a symptom that the obstruction is occurring. OSA has been linked to a host of health problems, including:

* Heart failure
* Stroke
* Weight gain
* High blood pressure
* Excessive daytime drowsiness
* Chronic fatigue
* Attention deficit disorder in children

Source

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Suffer from snoring? cant get a good nights rest....well.. your going to need surgery or your gonna need to lose some weight.

BUT WAIT!

now you can wear a chinstrap!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I find this thread interesting because my EX-boss mandated that I go to a sleep doctor to get my sleep apnea assessed.

What they do is make you sleep in a laboratory and hook you up to computers and see what is causing different types of bodily functions such as snoring.

I could not imagine going one night without sleeping next to my wife, so I quit my job right then and there after my boss gave me the ultimatum. I was making 17 bucks an hour, but that does not equal ultimatums by a CEO of a company.

Anyways I was wrong and I do have a problem with snoring and I really hate this pay cut lol. So go and get yourself tested and your quality of life will most likely be more than it is now if you do have a snoring problem/apnea.

Good luck with all the computer monitor wires hooked up to you in the laboratory.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My father had a coworker die at 33 from sleep apnea. They never knew he had it, but had snoring troubles.

It is a problem people need to address.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
When you Snore its like an alarm going off to alert others that you are having breathing problems. Its a great failsafe. If nobody is around to hear it you can die. My wife wakes me up all the time when im snoring and the second i wake i am gasping for air. If i sleep on my side im fine but if i roll over on my back in just a few minutes my throat closes and i cant breath.
Im not sure what actually causes this. Im not overweight and i excersize daily. so its not the overweight issue that the doctors push.
A guy i work with was diagnosed with sleep apnea and they cut some material out of his soft palet and also removed his Uvula.
After the removing of his Uvula he realized one of its unknown purposes. It deflects liquids from entering your wind pipe. Now every time he takes a drink he chokes.
But his sleep apnea is gone and he can breath fine while sleeping.
Maybe i should get the sleep apnea tests done. I would hate to die in my sleep.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
To be honest I read about this some years ago, but brushed it off thinking "I'm not really in that risc group..."

But you say people have died from it? :O That alarms me.

I suffer from the problem of being tired during the day. Even though I'd go to bed around 22-23 and sleep til 7-8 I have this tired sensation during the day and would, when possible, take a nap to recover.

At this point my girlfriend is sleeping with earplugs to drown me out, sometimes she even wakes up in the other end of the bed to "escape" me
She once taped me on her phone to show me how bad it is, and man I had no idea :S

What I find strange is that I don't wake myself up even with massive noise. But I've probably gotten used to the noise.

I have recently started working out again, so maybe I should wait out to see if that yields any results, but I guess I should adress this with my idiot doctor.
I certainly don't wanna die at the age of 33!

Quick question.... with this topic, it would be nice to hear if anyone has any great experience with getting rid of snorring through natural means.
I don't wanna hear about this and that medical products, since I've tried a few and they don't work apart from the placebo effect the first few days.

I would really prefer handling it naturally than undergoing any kind of surgery.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Does the chinstrap actually work? Anyone know? THe article read like an ad. [edit on 10-8-2009 by joechip]

[edit on 10-8-2009 by joechip]

[edit on 10-8-2009 by joechip]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
There is an Awesome Ear nose and throat doctor i see in Omaha Ne. His name is DR Duff and he is at Mid America Ear Nose and Throat.
im going to schedule an Appointment there in about 4 days to discuss surgery. I get a full psysical for work every year and i was told i have giant tonsils. Im going to have the entire surgery done where they remove some of the soft pallet, shrink the uvula and remove the adnoids/tonsils. Ill come back here to post my experiance.

Forgot to add that Dr Duff worked on my nose. I have serious sinus problems and had a bad deviated septum. He fixed all that.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Darkice19]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
This is spooky, Im overweight at the moment and snore like crazy -

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Yeah, we don't have enough problems to worry about while we are awake, so let's throw in some problems while we're sleeping. Please, don't bother me while I'm sleeping.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
To be honest I read about this some years ago, but brushed it off thinking "I'm not really in that risc group..."

But you say people have died from it? :O That alarms me.

I suffer from the problem of being tired during the day. Even though I'd go to bed around 22-23 and sleep til 7-8 I have this tired sensation during the day and would, when possible, take a nap to recover.

Hie thyself to a sleep clinic as soon as you can. Those are the symptoms that both my husband and I had. In my case, a simple medication fixed it. In his case, a CPAP machine fixed the problem (we had different sources of our sleep apnea.)

At this point my girlfriend is sleeping with earplugs to drown me out, sometimes she even wakes up in the other end of the bed to "escape" me
She once taped me on her phone to show me how bad it is, and man I had no idea :S

If it's that bad, it is something serious. If it's light snoring, you can get rid of it with over the counter remedies. But heavy snoring indicates a problem with the epiglottis and you're not going to fix that with an herb or a mouthpiece.

My husband was a heavy snorer, and I would occasionally wake up hearing him stop breathing. I'd touch him to arouse him and he'd begin breathing normally.

Oddly, it was his dentist who suggested that he was having problems and talked him into going to see the sleep clinic. One nice side effect is that it improved the sex life.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I have sleep apnea too, and have been on the cpap machine for almost a year. It makes a remarkable difference in my daily routine. I can't imagine sleeping without cpap now.

The link to the OP's article isn't working anymore, so I don't know what the chin strap is, but there are chin straps used with some cpap configurations.

new topics

top topics

join