It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck's Obama "Racist" Comments Cost Him Advertisers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Blaine,

As usual, your point is well made. However just a few things to ponder if I may:

1. Your sources prove his "popularity." There is no doubt his followers are widespread.
Many in this country share his views. That is not in question.

2. Your data reflects ratings PRIOR to this comment.

3. High profile advertisers are DROPPING him.

4. Remember Don Imus?

[edit on 9-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

That is the most absurd thing that ever comes out of people's mouths.

But then your the one who insists Palin has more experience.
Conservatives have been trying to push this tactic since Obama chose to run for POTUS, it is played out and no one takes it seriously.
Really, give it up.

Only 15% of the country is black. Even if every child, man, and woman of the black population voted, it STILL wouldn't be enough to get him elected.

He was an Illinois senator, a state senator,went to Columbia and Harvard Universities. Has written two best sellers, one which out sold John Grisham.

BTW, the people he organized probably had 5x the population of Palin's town she mayored.

Do you know that town just got its first Target? WOW! She did do great things.

BTW, the 'pubs attackin volunteer record probably didn't help their campaign any, since there are millions of volunteer workers in the US. And most people have been a volunteer at one point or another. So saying that it doesn't mean anything, pretty much alients most of the country.....its just stupid.

As for black people rejoicing about a black president? lets take a look at White House history shall we?

First off the WH was built by slaves and free black people.

The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African Americans – slave and free – to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.

When John Adams moved into the White House in November 1800, one-third of the capital city’s population was black. Few of these African Americans were free. However, with the end of the African slave trade in 1808 and the depletion of lands and decline of Tidewater tobacco plantations, free African Americans became more common and soon outnumbered the city’s slave population. On the eve of the Civil War, the census recorded that the city of Washington had 9,029 free blacks and 1,774 slaves. Although free blacks outnumbered slave residents, slave sales were still common, and Washington became a flourishing center for trade in slaves bound for the lands opened by the Louisiana Purchase. The slave pens of traders were located near the Mall and at Lafayette Square within sight of the White House. The trade finally was outlawed by the Compromise of 1850 and abolition of slavery in the District came in 1862.

Any slaves or blacks that worked in the White House slept in the basement and were never allowed to be seen. If white people came by, they had to hide.

In the 1850s, African Americans were dismissed from the White House ranks, not to be seen again until after the Civil War. President James Buchanan’s household staff was entirely white. Buchanan specified that the new employees were to be British. He believed that people trained in the British system of domestic service would be less of a threat to his privacy and peace of mind. In his view, they were accustomed to big houses and loyalty was part of their ethic. Except for the butler, Pierre Vermereu, who was Belgian, all of the servants living under the Buchanan roof were from England, Ireland, and Wales. Some of these continued in service during Lincoln’s administration.

On October 16, 1901 Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909) enjoyed dinner in the White House with his family and a few prominent Americans. There was nothing out of the ordinary except that one of his guests–the well-known educator Booker T. Washington–was a black man. It was not the first time an African American had called on a president. Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865) signed Sojourner Truth’s autograph book when she came to the White House. Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881) had Frederick Douglas at concerts of black performers. But Booker T. Washington, author of the famous book Up From Slavery, seems to be the first to be invited to a formal dinner. The next day, as usual, the newspapers published the names of the White House dinner guests (as they still do today). Many people were furious that Roosevelt would do such a thing. The president, only in office for one month, did not think there was anything wrong with having dinner with Washington, who he called "a good citizen and a good American." But Roosevelt never invited an African-American to a White House dinner again. He would meet Washington again, and would sometimes invite black officials to White House receptions. But even a leader as bold as Roosevelt was afraid to anger an American public that was not yet ready to accept black equality. Roosevelt learned a lesson about the strength of the White House as symbol.

white house historical society

It was over 50 years before an African American was invited to the white house again.

So you see, African Americans in this country have a right to rejoice in this country. Especially since it has only been a few decades that AA were even allowed to be invited to the WH without it being degrading.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Yet all the other networks can accuse Bush of being a racist as well as most of the American people and e suffers nothing other than low ratings.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Yet all the other networks can accuse Bush of being a racist as well as most of the American people and e suffers nothing other than low ratings.

Just curious, Do you have anything to support the above assertion, or is it simply your opinion?

I do not recall any network claims that the former President was racist.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by Wimbly

Just curious, Do you have anything to support the above assertion, or i it simply your opinion?

I do not recall any network claims that the former President was racist.

Thanks.

There was an idiot, can't remember his name and not worth the effort to do a search, who, after Katrina, came out and said "Bush hates black people." Sure the media didn't say it, but they sure promoted the hell out of it.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer

I live in liberal california and if you go out and ask black people who know about politics what they think of Obama, they hate him. Even here with tons of liberals people hate him. Sure some black people voted for him, but a lot didn't either, the ones that did don't know # about politics.. Yeah sure maybe he got 95 percent of the black vote, but probably only 50 percent of black people or less voted. And who should they have voted for? McCain and Palin ? lol give me a break. I didn't vote and noone I know did. You must not be that smart if you think 95 percent of blacks voted for him means that literally 95 percent of all black people voted for him. lol thats absurd. Like someone said above blacks are only like 19 percent or something of the population, so how the HELL did we solely vote hm into office? We didn't . Although most my friends and I consider ourselves conservative there was no way in hell wed vote for McCain. We had noone good to vote for and havent for years and years. But ok I'm sure you know more about my own people than I do because you work with a couple black people. You have the classic white guy thing where he knows a couple black people and thinks he knows them all. You are a stereotyping bigot. I can stereotype you too, I see your from the south I bet you drive a big truck, are racist, and sleep with your sister. See how stupid stereotyping is?

And Obama t shirts? WTF does that have to do with anything?

All you can do is insult like a child because you have o argument at all. Don't call me an uncle tom either, I highly take offense to that. I didn't insult you WHATSOEVER in my post, so why are you insulting me?

Don't even respond to me I'm going to follow what the guy under me says and not respond to you anymore.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Your posts now meet my "No-Go" criteria for response.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
*Mod Edit: Ahhh Nope. Cheers -alien

[edit on 9-8-2009 by alien]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Heh. Our latest Attorney General said we need to address racial issues more. Hmmm........how's that working out for us?

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I am so glad you are so perfect..Any idiot can see that both dems and republicans are equally evil i mean come on dont you see that all that does is keep people seperated?I say disband both parties.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Ya know... it was a little funny...

I go to the Temple of Hiphop on a fairly regular basis. They speak my kind of religion frankly.

But anyway, I'm usually the only white guy in the entire place. This occurs in the West end of Atlanta.

Last month, one of the artists who was getting much love for his songs, asked after the first one

"How ya'll doin? How you liking Obama?"

And the room was rather quiet...

The artist kinda chuckled and went on introducing who he is and what kind of music he does and wear he can be seen.

But I was rather taken aback. Now, keep in mind, that this crowd is very vocal about supporting black businesses, and black culture. But they weren't necessarily as keen on Obama.

However, there are a lot of African Americans that I know who do...

You know the difference? Money and a sense of potential.

Those who don't have a lot, or spent a portion of their life in that situation, whether black, white, etc never like the man in charge.

Also, those I know who don't have a lot of money, also have a lot of hope in their own potential.

Now I voted for Obama. I don't have a lot of negative things to say about the man. His campaign was ran on hope, and I HOPE he can get the job done.

I'm still very happy to watch him on TV etc, and I still think he's one of the most intelligent of presidents we've had in the past. Although, as it comes to being presidential, Clinton really reasserted himself as the great statesman of the Democratic party with his diplomacy of late.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but my point is that I've seen what you are talking about. I think it has more to do with money than race at the end of the day, at least here in Atlanta.

And the one HUGE factor is also hope. Those I know who are cynical about the future, don't like him. Those I know who are optimistic do.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthship35
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I am so glad you are so perfect..Any idiot can see that both dems and republicans are equally evil i mean come on dont you see that all that does is keep people seperated?I say disband both parties.

No I don't see both sides as equally evil, because I don't see evil.

There is corruption, misguided ideologies, extremism etc which inhabit both parties because they inhabit all humans.

These things are distributed amongst humans according to their disposition and collectively amongst political parties according to theirs as well.

Now each party is in a constant state of evolution as politics are not static.

For example, take a look at this most recent part of our political history.

The entire map (from the beginning of our country) can be found here

But this isn't a Manichean battle of good and evil, this is simply the manifestation of how America constantly changes her focus and her mind as to which direction she feels she needs to go.

And as time goes on each party changes in its own kind. Take some time to look at the history of both parties in this visual kind of way.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
In other words, do not speak your opinion, or you will be punished!

The USA is sooo great in this new era!

Freedom of speech protects against government censorship. Freedom of speech has never and will never apply to private sponsors pulling support for a commentator on a corporate news channel.

New era? So, you're saying that in the 1700s, if you said something that most people didn't like, you wouldn't lose public support? So, in the 1800s, if you wrote wrote a newspaper article that everyone hated, your paper wouldn't lose advertisers?

I'm tired of people making freedom of speech assertions without ever having read a single supreme court case or even the constitution itself. Getting punished by people in the form of them not liking you or pulling financial support after you say something stupid or disgusting is nothing new. It's absurd to claim otherwise. You make a lewd remark to a woman in bar at any point in the last few hundred years, and you'll get slapped in the face.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Your right, GW was called a racist after Katrina.

I don't like the man..at all. But I also try to judge things fairly, and don't fault him for the handling of katrina. Fact is, it was one of the best evacuations ever conducted. And despite what people think, most people CHOSE to stay. 65% of those surveyed afterwards who remained in the area had access to leave. They chose not too.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
In other words, do not speak your opinion, or you will be punished!

The USA is sooo great in this new era!

I believe the idea is, have some proof before you spew your garbage to the public.

Fox news and Rush Limbaugh are spinning anything they can to dissuade the public from supporting the president, and his policies, due to a hatred of the democratic party, or perhaps their own personal misguided feelings towards the Obamas.

But that's my opinion.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Why do people still claim that Obama was elected because he is black? Then again why do people insist he is black? He is bi-racial. Obama was elected because he was smart enough to pick a qualified running mate. Come on people the ploy of putting Palin on the ticket was (a bad joke, a guarantee of failure for the Republican party) just fill in the blank? If anyone else (any other man) was on the ticket with McClain, he would have won. Then saying the blacks had a field day on this one. The electoral college elects the president. The popular vote doesn’t count when it comes to the president. We only vote so the news media can show the popular vote on TV.

Then what does this have to do with Glenn Beck? I wish I could go to my job and say and do whatever I wanted because I’m an American. Its just that simple.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

It's the advertisers punishing him, not the viewers.

The viewers will continue to watch like the sheep they are.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janitor From Mars

The viewers will continue to watch like the sheep they are.

Bah!

These are the people behind the movement to get Beck's sponsors to pull out.

colorofchange.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

This isnt his first boycott and i can guarantee wont be his last either.
if anything all the uproar is going to boost his ratings.And where theres ratings there will be advertisers trust me.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join