It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(MSWC) How I Changed My Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How I changed my Life

This will probably come as a shock to most of the people reading my story today. But, I swear to this, it is all true as crazy and mysterious as it may seem. Last night I fell asleep in a very different world than what I have awoken to today. It all started because of something I wanted so badly that I would have travelled the ends of the Earth to have, yet I have travelled further than any could’ve imagined. What I kept doing was concentrating and meditating on the thing I wanted the most in my life, my one true happiness. I never thought it would ever be possible. Yet yesterday I was in a complete different world, unhappy and in a unfortunate situation. In a loveless relationship that I stayed in only for the three children we had. So many things have gone wrong with my life I just wanted to know what if, what if the one that got away could have been where my true happiness lied. I started trying every evening before bed, willing the world around me to change, willing my being to a place where I had done things differently in the past. And now here I am, I don’t even know where here is, neither do I know what to expect. But I woke up and he was beside me. My one true love in my eyes and the world has changed. In my world it’s always gray the colors are muted and diluted. Smells are not very strong, either. There was a war and the smoke and fumes filled the air making the colors fade and dulling the sense of smell. Broken, disheveled buildings stood around us. It was a struggle to survive. Not only in this world did I have my one true possibility for happiness, it seemed that this entire world was a breath of fresh air, totally new to me. A thing I hadn’t seen in over a year. Yet, I had no idea how to act. To me this was all new. I don’t know how I am going to fit in. I don’t have any memories of this world that I awoke to; they are all my same memories from the old. I always assumed they’d be replaced by the new world’s memory if I had ever succeeded in making the trip. I was finding out that was not the case. How would I explain if I forgot a name or a place that I would be expected to know?

I decided to get out of that place before this man woke so I would not have any uncomfortable situation arise. After all I really don’t know who this person is today. I didn’t really know who he was back before this horrible slide into the darkness happened to me. I hoped I could find something that would trigger the memories of this world to come. At least that is what is supposed to happen. Unfortunately, everything was foreign to me. None of the headlines made any sense. None of the people were recognizable. The clothing was odd. I definitely didn’t fit in at all. Everybody was happy. Nobody seemed as if they had a care in the world. Should I run away? Could I fake it and pretend I knew things I didn’t know? Right this minute I needed a cup of coffee. At least I didn’t have to go far to find a nice little coffee shop along the way. I didn’t even know if the odd purse that had to be mine would have any cash in it. It did. Ten dollars. So I ordered myself a nice Colombian coffee. I went to the condiments table to fix it. Lots of sugar and a little cream. It was perfect. I couldn’t help but to wonder what my children were doing now as I sat at the table and sipped the delicious hot liquid. Would I be there? I mean would I physically be there? Would I have taken away my children’s mother by fleeing to this place? That is what it felt like, it felt like running away from home. Would I have simply vanished? Is that how it worked? I never even considered that. Maybe I should try to get back as unhappy as that would make me. Besides I couldn’t stay here, this was not where I belonged. So I had decided to try to get home the same way I had found myself here.

The End

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Obviously the first line is just part of the storyline. This is a fictional work. Just thought it'd be cool to put it down in the main characters words.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

In this story your character uses her imagination to conjure up the perfect universe, and it happens. A bit like creative writing itself, isn't it? Whatever the case, it's a well-used - but never old - plot device that, when done well, makes for great science fiction. I like your idea, and you've got a nice setup for a longer story. You should continue this. Where do things go from here? Will your character's relationship turn out to be everything she dreamed of, or not?

As for the apocalyptic war that destroyed her home world, how did that happen, and why? Will you character have a chance to change any of it? I could envision a scenario in which the circumstances become more complicated, forcing your character to make a choice between staying with her "perfect mate", or saving her home universe in which her family still exists.

Good luck with the contest!

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Flatwoods]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatwoods

Thank you so very much. I am so glad you liked it. You really got what I was going for. I would like to make it a longer story. Maybe even get it published too. Before this contest started, though I was working on a twisted little coma tale(psychological thriller) that wouldn't fit for the contest, it's a long story. Anyway, when I finish it, I will probably expand on this one and it surely will have a very twisted plot...in more ways than one. I can see it vividly.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

ldyserenity, I am glad you have admitted this was fiction. You had me going there for a while. This is a very cool concept and you should continue it. Good luck in the contest.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thank you very much...I appreciate that and great luck to you too and congrats on last months win!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I forgot that I wanted to post S+F for you as well. Really, as I was reading this I thought you were serious. It was intriguing and I began to feel for your children! I was thinking all sorts of weird things like, maybe they will be alright in that dimension they are in, and maybe she could go back to that dimension and get them! You really had me going, good stuff.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I thought it'd be different to do it like diary entry sort of lose the reader in it, make them forget it is fiction, sort of like what happened with War Of The Worlds when they did the broadcast and had people panicking in the streets!!!!

And THANK YOU FOR THE S&F!!!! Much appreciated.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Good story and brings up the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

You expressed the mental turmoil that would occur quite vividly and I've no doubt I'd feel the same should I find myself in such a situation. I'd need a drink a lot stronger than coffee though.

S & F and I hope you do well in the contest,

top topics

join