It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Schiff lays down some home truths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is a great little vid because on the one hand you see these typical financial media bubbleheads asking the same sorts of stupid MSM hopeful questions and Schiff just freaking SLICES them to SHREADS instantly with his replies here. He does some serious economic and media zen archery here...THIS is the way to argue, people.

The actual things he is saying are things you probably aleady know if you are reading this to begin with, but what I especially appreciate is the smooth and effective way he just dismisses the garbage. I also note here the mainstream media goons treat him with A LOT more general respect than they used to because they can no longer deny that we are in deep fiscal trouble. Its like the beginning of a switch in sides when the mainstream media begins to cover its own *** and move away from the banker's "keep eveyrone happy all the time" mantas. If the media began to acknowledge the truth at least to some extent it would be like an antarctic shelf caving in for a lot of people.

EDIT: I had trouble with the yiutube clip but thanks to the poster"Solomons" we got that cleared up. Thanks for your help

So here we go:

[edit on 8/8/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
youtube link doesn't work.There we go,just enter the code ie EW0cBbNFalw

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
youtube link doesn't work

OK thanks, you fixed it. I appreciate it...

[edit on 8/8/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Great Post! Watch the video!

Yes...Peter telling it like it is! Though...I think there is still a fair amount of folks that still cant get over the fact that this giant Ponzi Scheme we have been calling the Federal Reserve, and Congress, The Bankstas will collapse. Just like Madoff had to finally admit he had failed!

S&F!

[edit on 8-8-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I think peter knows more than he is telling but doesn't because he thinks it will alienate the audience.He wants to get his message across to as many people as possible...im pretty sure he knows what central banks are about.They are nothing but common criminals and create the boom and busts then monopolize everything they can..rinse and repeat.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Agreed, sure he does. He is not on the governement payroll, so he can tell it like it is. Takes courage, brave soul. He has been right there all along with Celente.

He knows...and we know too! As Ron Paul said recently, Government is a failure! Congress is owned by the bankstas!

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I usually agree with this guy, however, his solutions of 'just cut government' and 'create new jobs' is disingenuous.

Our nation is in deep trouble - true enough. However, the only way we are going to get fixed is with government direction and leadership. However unlikely that may be, in our democracy, its the ONLY way. Trusting the Free Market forces - those that have run the very 'ponzi schemes' he mentions in this video - is simply not going to work either. Its like asking the robber to give you back your stuff.

Instead, I believe this problem will only get fixed when our government takes truly bold, agressive, and permanent steps to rectify the core problem: re-adopt a 'Gold Standard' and reject an economic system of economic manipulation through the creation of a fiat money system that undermines the Constitutional basis of our government.

In fact, the Constitution itself recognized this fact. That's why our founding fathers rejected currency based on anything but gold or silver. They did acknowledge the potential occassional need for paper money, but they called it what is was - a 'bill of credit', hence we use the term a ten dollar bill or a hundred dollar note. Think about that - the words bill or note imply that paper money is nothing more than an IOU for real money, which was gold or silver. For those of you that want to argue this Constiutional fact, please look in the Constitution and you will find that money is mentioned seven times, and in the only two times it defines money, it is with gold and silver. Mention of paper money is clearly defined as a bill (meaning you owe somebody money). In fact, up until the last part of the 20th century, US paper money used to carry words to the effect 'this is redeemable for lawful money', or even more specifically used the words gold or silver.

Now before everyone jumps on me with things like 'there's not enough gold', or 'why gold', I would just like to say, that I do not know exactly how to extricate ourselves from this mess. But I know that any permanent solution must bring us back to our Constitutional roots - gold and silver. And here's why. You can't fake gold and silver. You either have it or you don't. If you don't, you can't simply type in a few numbers and create it. Which means that if you want to spend money, you must already have that money. If not, you must borrow the money based on the ability to repay in real gold or silver. Now think about it, if you only have 300 billion in the treasury (like Fort Knox) and you want to borrow xxx trillions, the folks with common sense will simply respond with a huge horse laugh. Gold instills all the economic responsibility, stability, and reasonable expectations that we currently seem to lack.

I contend that by the abandonement of the Gold Standard, that the government has desensatized us to it real meaning: million, bilion, trillion.... it doesn't mean anything anymore because the Fed will simply keep creating 'it' because nothing keeps it in check - there is no real cap, there is no real consequence of continuing to create. Savings, Credit, etc, etc, its all BS without an immutable anchor. And until we find our way back to Gold, whateve programs or actions the government takes is just another meaningless computer keystroke.

I think Peter Schiff knows this, its just too bad that he doesn't say it here.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Unadulterated facts + pure logic.

The commentators couldn't gainsay anything he said, so they cut him short. He clearly had an awful lot more to say. Listening to someone like this is so much more educational than much of what we hear on the MSM.

The problem with today's decision-makers is that they are effectively PR men/women. They create an image/aura of reliability through marketing, and poll the MSM-fed populace to make sure their policies have been accepted. The result is overconfidence.

They often forget people can and do think for themselves, and even without straight-talkers like Peter Schiff appearing in the MSM they begin to see through the emptiness of corporate cronyism-based politics as it becomes increasingly clear that you-scratch-my-back-&-I'll-scratch-yours is absolutely disastrous in the long term.

It's difficult to see how things might change. As things stand it's largely a matter of being prepared for when the inevitable collapse happens.

Borrowing to fund borrowing that funds borrowing. If someone behaved like that with a credit card no amount of PR would create an aura of credibility.

Yet when it comes to the wealth and spending of a nation so few have been prepared to contemplate the long-term consequences. Because the cycle of borrowing made everyone more comfortable. (Temporarily.)

Everyone who bought into the credit-based boom shares some responsibility. Nobody forces a person to rely on debt to fund their chosen lifestyle (-though low interest rates have made it all-to-tempting, for which the PTB & banks have a lot to answer).

IMHO it would be more constructive to reassess how we live than to fuel the fires of some kind of uprising. Taking responsibility for one's life rather than waiting for the PTB to sort everything out.

Take the example of the car manufacturers, for example. The normal dichotomy on offer is:

1) Bail out the manufacturers

2) Dump the workers on the street as further production is unprofitable

But here's a third option:

People working for a business that is clearly going nowhere up and leave without any prompting and either find themselves a similar job in a well-run business or research and organize some retraining for themselves.

That way the whole argument that a business has to be propped up because there's too much employment at stake would become relatively moot.

In a nutshell it's all about job mobility and personal responsibility.

The equivalent with the financial institutions would be to avoid dealing with any that you believe have been involved in malpractice. It wouldn't change things overnight, but if this approach snowballed - people looking at the ethics of the institution as well as the interest/profits on offer - it could eventually make a difference.

So thanks Peter Schiff for laying out the inevitable disastrous consequences of government policies. But let's create something constructive out of the knowledge such people have given us.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Schiff has an agenda and if you don't think so then you're being fooled. I agree with large parts of what he has to say about what's happening in the country today but I do NOT trust that man. Something about him screams disingenuous to me.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I agree that debt notes that are not based on anything are bad. And I believe in Peter Schiff since everything he's predicted has come to pass. He honestly defended his position when the large majority thought he was wrong.

However the problem with hard gold or silver money is that there's a finite amount, and there's a growing population.

Worse than that, an economy with a finite amount of money is like a Monopoly game. In the end, one person has all the money. That probably already happened a long time ago. The only way to keep the game going is to loan people money, putting them in deeper and deeper debt.

I don't know the solution. Just received the book Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. Paperback. Frigging thing seems four inches thick.

new topics

top topics

join