It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Democracy Does NOT Equal Freedom

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A lot of people think that Democracy is what makes America free, but they are wrong.

Democracy is where the majority makes the rules and everyone else HAS to abide by it, or else they would be arrested. The 51% would make the rules for the other 49%. This is NOT freedom.

The United States is a Constitutional Republic which means that the 99% have NO right to take the freedom of even that 1%. The Constitution holds the rules and laws, which say that everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

But Democracy has thrown the Constitution right out of the window.

Watch this video where Aaron Russo explains it in more detail:

www.youtube.com...




posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bobbylove321
 


Freedom is a much used and overrated word, so is Democracy. I feel our freedom as a whole was thrown out the window much time ago World Wide.



posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Very true. Democracy can easily turn into mass tyranny, if the people have small perspectives and consequently do not care about their fellow human. And those controlling the information that controls the masses become the tyrants. In a capitalist democracy, money rules. Money is power. So we have a construct of rule in which power is ruling with the mindless aim of achieving more power. It creates a free-fall effect, but there is eventually a landing. Here's to putting a black hole on the ground so we emerge something different, LOL.



posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You’re completely right that democracy does not equal freedom, since if this was true the likes of Adolf Hitler and George Bush would never have been elected. In fact most of leaders since the Civil War wouldn’t have been elected in America (or any other country in the world). As the fact is that the future is nearly always one of less freedom since (if anything) there are usually more laws left at government disposal, or new technology government can abuse.

However just because democracy sometimes oppresses the other 49%, this doesn’t prevent it being an important source of freedom.
The idea is that the other 49% will remain discontent until either their arguments improve, or they make enough political noises until a better compromise is reached (and therefore the 49% minority become more like 30%).

Sadly the way so few people own our Western mass media, and the way they will change their media’s biased positions to suit the needs of their investors demands has destroyed much of this potent democracy mechanism.
As today democracy relies less than ever on good arguments, and more than ever on arguments-issues that simply get heard-covered.

The only political acts that truly (and immediately) equal freedom are bills of rights, or constitutions. And of course these things rarely change at all (accept from when new loop holes are continuously found to be “justified” by either the courts, (or notably since 9/11 those in power).



new topics

top topics
 
1

log in

join