It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for the demise of the two party system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
All across the country Independent voters are finding their voice at town hall meetings. After eight years of a Republican administrations disenfranchisement. With the institution of the Patriot Act, their sanity was questioned. Home Land Security, untenable wars, deficit spending, and the housing bubble crash and more, things started to become surreal.

We now have a Democratic administration that has added to the disenfranchisement. Taxpayers witness in disbelief an administration that has lead us to even greater deficit spending. People watch in horror as the Government takes over the control of major banking institutions, huge insurance conglomerates, automobile manufacturing corporations, and a proposed government controlled national health care. All these endeavors funded by deficit spending. All the above endeavors extend beyond the Governments allotted powers.

People from both persuasions, are dumbfounded by the hubris exhibited by those elected to serve. Both parties wish to quash the opposition’s opinions, and infringe upon the rights of the people to free speech and the right to assemble.

Voices ring out across the nation, questioning the Constitutional validity of the course this nation is heading toward. When a Government of the people, by the people and for the people, refuses to adhere to the Constitution, it is established upon. When the very people elected to serve, describe citizens wishing to uphold the Constitution, as radicals, extremists or potential terrorists. It is time to reevaluate exactly what this two party system has done for us.

Is it time for the demise of this flawed two party system of Government? Is it time for a viable third party, who would truly support and defend the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

What is your opinion? Let’s hear your voice!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Time for the demise of the two party system?

Please!

I don't want a third party though. I want NO parties. I want people to vote on merits and voting record...not the R's or D's next to their names on the ballots. Another party is another divider of the people.

Of course....to end this we have to have campaign finance reform and end corporate influence and special interests influence by banning lobbyist from government. Make it all public funding and illegal for anyone to give a dime to a politician.

Term limits won't change anything....it has to be this way.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The party system was an issue from the founding of the United States.

George Washington's words warning concerning the 'party system' from his farewell speech, 9-26-1796:

"It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

He was right in this note.

mg

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I don't want a third party though. I want NO parties. I want people to vote on merits and voting record...not the R's or D's next to their names on the ballots. Another party is another divider of the people.

Good stuff. Visonary

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

No parties would be fine by me. All I want from a candidate is honesty,honor and the belief that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the supreme law of the land. That they would treat it as such. Is that asking to much?

I agree that lobbying should be made illegal. Legislators caught taking money from ANY P.A.C. or lobby should be fined and/or jailed.

A nationally held office should be treated as a sacred trust, not a yard sale!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
We either need 8 or more Political Parties or we need no Parties at all. Enough of this Bicameral System that promotes an "Us" vs. "Them" mentality and prevents change just to spite the other.

I vote Republican, I vote Democrat, I vote Independent depending on the merits of the candidate or the merits of the legislation. My loyalties are not based upon any Political Platform, but upon my moral conscience. The rhetoric of the Parties is not the compass I guide my life by, but my ideals are the basis for that compass by which I guide my life.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
What is your opinion?

Well I used to be a registered democrat. During the 2006 congressional election, all the Dem's PROMISED to end the war if they obtained the majority. During the run up to that election I can't even remember how many times I heard Pelosi criticize the war and promise to end it if reelected. Well guess what...they obtained that majority and then broke all of those promises. They had lied to us all.

During the campaign and election of '08, I kept thinking that everyone supporting Obama or either of the two major parties had to be drugged, stupid, or experiencing cognitive dissonance. Did they all not witness the lies and broken promises in 2006?

I moved states during or shortly after the most recent election, and had to get a new DL, at which point I was asked would I like to register to vote and what party affiliation....I gladly said "Yes, Constitution Party please!"

The ONLY way I will ever vote for a Republican OR a Democrat again is if they show a thorough understanding of the Constitution, and have a solid track record & voting record of respecting what is laid out in this document.

If my only choice is between a Rep and a Dem, and I'm expected to choose "the lesser of 2 evil's" then there is really no reason to waste my time even showing up to the polls.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Paroxysm]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

There was a point in my life where I voted for the party that held closest to my ideals. I now refuse to waste a vote on faux ethics and promise breakers. Is honesty and integrity to much to ask from someone sworn to represent me?

Holding to your own moral compass,and staying true to your ideals is quite commendable. A star for you my friend.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

I was once a registered Democrat. I became disillusioned,during the Carter years and became independent. After years of elections where you had to look hard to find one point where you could support a candidate. My out look changed yet again. Why should I align myself with people who do not share my principals or ideals. I have watched administration after administration shread our constitution and strip away our rights slowly and methodically. I believe in our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I want to cast my vote for someone who believes in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Someone who recognizes that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is the supreme law of the land. For to long we have let our government pare away at our supreme law,they pass new laws that contradict Constitutional law. We are forced to live by that farce.
WE need people who will run for office and stand up for our Constitution.
A star for your honesty.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

Thank you. I'm only 26, and therefore have only 8 yrs of voting under my belt. With the election fraud and disenfranchisement of voters, not to mention those to actually get elected only seem to listen to the Private Interest groups who kick them mass amounts of money, I'm not sure I see the point in voting anymore.

I didn't vote in the 08 election due to moving between states, and the fact that every Dem I had voted for in '06 had completely broken their campaign promises. I guess if I would have voted it would have been for Chuck Baldwin, or a 'write in' vote for Ron Paul, since those were the two who actually seem to understand and respect the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

To me it's obvious that we really can't call our current form of government a Constitutional Republic anymore. I'm not sure what we are, but I started a thread to get everyone's opinion a day or two ago:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go hit up that thread an tell us what you think most resembles our current form of government.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's not a question of if the two party system is faulty or not. It's a question of who is a part of the system and who they don't allow to be a part of the system.

It's the fake game that's played between both parties. Let's be real about this, they all work for the same people, we know that. The battles we see in the media are fabricated and the proof is in the voting.

Do we need more independants? Yes, we certainly do, but this system of government doesn't really work when you have as big of a population as we do today.

Democracy stopped working in Greece. There is no such thing as representation anymore. It's a very hard question to ponder to tell you the truth, because changing the system would be an endeavour like no other seen before in US history.

To tell you the truth, the only way I ever see this working is by having complete transparency between government and the people. Furthermore we need to eliminate large federal government, and begin making decisions at the municipal level.

There are alot of things that the government doesn't need to have a hand in that they do. It should be left up to specific communities to vote on issues that pass before congress and the senate.

There needs to be a venue of true representation, I say down with the electoral college first and foremost, what an archaic and useless system that is.

The only way to accomplish having true representation, is what I stated above, transparancy and large municipal government, where everybody votes on vasically everything and majority rules.

Edit to Add: As far as voting goes, I'm 37 and haven't voted since I was 20. Alot of people will say that I'm part of the problem, however, when I vote here in Canada I'm presented with this.

3 bowls of crap.

The crap is the same colour and smells the same.

The choice I am given is which colour the bowl is.

~Keeper

[edit on 8/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

More regional control would be a step back in the right direction. Here in the States the power of the federal government was meant to be strictly limited. Promote the GENERAL welfare,and provide for the common defense. They have their hands in almost everthing we come in contact with daily. WE have become indentured servants to our representative form of government.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

That's what I am saying though.

Small Federal level government and large state government to actually do what the people want. Collective decision making versus the oligarchy you have now.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by daddyroo45

Yes! Lets end the destructive polarization.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

How long will it be until people realize they have been duped by a one adgenda two party system. Division is their greatest weapon. When we lay down our "my side is always right" egotistical B.S. and really LOOK at the problems. Thats when the two party farce will cease to exist.

top topics

join