Christians could just as easily be worshipping Ra, Baal, or Anu today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There are so many religions that predate Christianity. There are many Gods and Goddesses, Deities and Spirits that have been worshiped from the beginning of time. The only difference is Christianity came out on top.

I mean think about it, even Christianity came from Judaism, so it's not even original in that sense.

So I really mean it. if the devotees of Egyption religion had prospered more, had spread the word of Ra a little more, then all you Christians may be worshipping him right now.

If the Baalites had had a better run in history and their kingdoms had prospered, instead of heading to a church on a Sunday, you'd find yourself going to an Alter to Baal.

If the Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian empires had not fallen, I bet Judaism would not have taken a grip and hence Christianity, and on the 25th of December we'd have Anumas Day, after the God Anu.

Christianity could have been any of these religions, it was all a matter of politics, wars, kingdoms and chance.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Off topic, but ...

when my twins were learning to talk, they had their own little language for a while. One of their uncles had a mediallion around his neck. I'd never paid attention to it. But the first time the twins saw it, they both cried, 'Anu, Anu' and looked at each other in delight.

This happened every time he came to visit. He'd lean over them as they were playing on the mat, for example, or in their high-chairs, and when he did, the medallion would swing forwards from inside his shirt.

As soon as the twins saw it, they became very excited .. delighted. Their faces would shine and they'd turn to each other as if to confirm their excitement and delight, saying in unison, 'Anu, Anu ! ' happily.

The medallion, I soon discovered, was a tiny elephant. So I'd repeat slowly, pointing to the medallion, 'Elephant, elephant'. Their uncle would do the same. At which point the twins would look at us in confusion for an instant before returning to their happy cries of 'Anu, Anu ! '

At the time we thought it was cute and funny. I'd never heard of Anu (sometimes they pronounced it 'Anoos ' with an 's' at the end). Nor had anyone else.

It was only years later that I saw a reference to an island in the Nile, called 'Anu' I think. Its other name was Elephant Island, from memory.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I guess so... and humans could just as easily be hairy and have a tail and live next to chimpanzees.

I don't see a point other than your hoping to have others come in and bash Christianity?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I once thought this too.

But I read on a back of a 'limited edition', bible, it was well made and very expensive, where it talked about that.

It said humbly that of all religions, Christianity seems to be the only religion with a foundation in it.

Really spoke wonders, trully if it was a fake religion, it would of been gone long before now. There is alot of truth in it.

link   
[edit on 7-8-2009 by Centaur24]

link   
[edit on 7-8-2009 by Centaur24]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Christianity is, fro all intents and purposes, the frankenstine religion, cuz it stole parts from Pagan, egyptian, bhuudism, hindu. Then after they took all of that, they called the others heathens and savages. Thats why I boycot that cult. Thats right, I said cult. Come at me christians.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
There are so many religions that predate Christianity. There are many Gods and Goddesses, Deities and Spirits that have been worshiped from the beginning of time. The only difference is Christianity came out on top.

I mean think about it, even Christianity came from Judaism, so it's not even original in that sense.

So I really mean it. if the devotees of Egyption religion had prospered more, had spread the word of Ra a little more, then all you Christians may be worshipping him right now.

If the Baalites had had a better run in history and their kingdoms had prospered, instead of heading to a church on a Sunday, you'd find yourself going to an Alter to Baal.

If the Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian empires had not fallen, I bet Judaism would not have taken a grip and hence Christianity, and on the 25th of December we'd have Anumas Day, after the God Anu.

Christianity could have been any of these religions, it was all a matter of politics, wars, kingdoms and chance.

But none of these so called dieties can change a life like Jesus Christ can and does. So your premesis is all off, it assumes that just by worship a certain diety that a religion is formed, yet it still is void of any spiritual life. Spiritual life can only come from the Creator, not belief in a false diety.

To understand what is considered a false diety and what makes a real one, is that spiritual power and spiritual authority will be given to the one that is real, all flase gods are void of any authority or power.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

'Every creature in the Universe knows the diffecnce between right and wrong' The Bible? .. No ...The movie KPAX ......and it may be our design to separate right from wrong and the bible is the best example of right and wrong and has maintained our morality...so I believe.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
Christianity is, fro all intents and purposes, the frankenstine religion, cuz it stole parts from Pagan, egyptian, bhuudism, hindu. Then after they took all of that, they called the others heathens and savages. Thats why I boycot that cult. Thats right, I said cult. Come at me christians.

Actually, since the devil is trying to be "like the Most High" and the devil is the one behind all pagan worship then it matters not "who predates who" what matters is who has the spiritual power and the spiritual authority to rule the World. That will have to go to the meek, they shall inherit the Earth just as the scriptures have foretold.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whiterider

But none of these so called dieties can change a life like Jesus Christ can and does.

So what would you say to the Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs et al that say their respective god does the same? Or what about the atheists who say that rejecting god led to a better life for them?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i think that every deity and god in any religious book was really there. dont see the reason to lie about it.

but if they are real and can fly and know everything. then they must be really cool and i want to hang out with them. especially that girl with 20 arms. oooo yeaaaahhhh!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiterider
Actually, since the devil is trying to be "like the Most High" and the devil is the one behind all pagan worship then it matters not "who predates who" what matters is who has the spiritual power and the spiritual authority to rule the World. That will have to go to the meek, they shall inherit the Earth just as the scriptures have foretold.

Where did you get that. The devil dosen't have anything to do with Paganism. The pagans worshipped nature, the sun and the moon. The date that Christmas is is actually the Pagan worship of the winter solstice. Did you get tricked into thinking that by the curch? I'm not trying to insult you, man. But now you know.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

unless you're a christian, in which case it's a matter of divine provenance.

if my aunt had balls she'ld be my uncle. what a pointless thread.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
ACTUALLY, it's all a matter of etymology

They're all the same guys. There's a few at the top and they are seen repeatedly through out history, in various guises and with various names, but still the same gang.

LOKI of norse mythology, for example, is the sumerian ENKI (or so I think)

ENLIL became LIL
LIL became IL
IL became EL
EL became AL

and variants of his name crop up in all the gods of mesopotamia, including bel, ba'al, al'lah and so on. the big difference appears to be the "B" or "BA" prefix, which indicated it was an ENKI strain rather than an ENLIL strain. "B" being the Sumerian-Akkadian acronym for the water god and his abzu, his "bab-el"

Heck, check Revelation 9 of the New Testament. That APOLLYON character is APOLLO as the god of plagues, who etymologically, is ENKI. It's the same handful at the top, over and over and over, with local color and language variation.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by undo]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Centaur24
I once thought this too.

But I read on a back of a 'limited edition', bible, it was well made and very expensive, where it talked about that.

It said humbly that of all religions, Christianity seems to be the only religion with a foundation in it.

Really spoke wonders, trully if it was a fake religion, it would of been gone long before now. There is alot of truth in it.

So by that reasoning, Christians should believe that Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism (any religion they consider "fake") should not exist.

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiterider

But none of these so called dieties can change a life like Jesus Christ can and does. So your premesis is all off, it assumes that just by worship a certain diety that a religion is formed, yet it still is void of any spiritual life. Spiritual life can only come from the Creator, not belief in a false diety.

To understand what is considered a false diety and what makes a real one, is that spiritual power and spiritual authority will be given to the one that is real, all flase gods are void of any authority or power.

Mohammad does not change the life of a Muslim? Buddha does not change the life of a Buddhist? Krishna does not change the life of a Hindu?

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I think I see where you're going with this: The entity that the xians think of as their Almighty God, can't be THE ONE TRUE GOD....because he has a starting point (the inception of xianity).

THE ONE TRUE GOD, could very well be the same entity these different religions are referring to. But if it is the Xian "God"....then you can actually point to a single time in history for his "beginning"...now, a devout xian, with no true critical thinking skills of their own, would probably tell you "no, it is "our" God...people just didn't know him then", which leads to the next logical question: "What about the souls of everyone who lived before the earliest Xians were so kind as to point out who the "real God" is????" And around we go.....

***Just in case anyone wants to blast my opinions for lack of credibility, I DO hold a Bachelor's in History & Political Science with emphasis on the history of xianity and the history of science & alchemy.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Great thread, S&F
Very thought provoking.
I always found it extremely interesting that so much of Christianity
and Judaism seem to be based on much older religions. Between the
names and the stories alone, there are a whole host of parallels.

Just another of the multitude of reasons that I am happily agnostic

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by starsyren

well according to jesus himself, he was here in the way back. he just doesn't tell you what his name was in the way back. we could probably figure it out. since enlil is jehovah and had many sons who were considered "gods" or "sons of god."

i think what we have here is a matter of actually reading the text and remembering it. something that is a tall order considering the languages it was written in and the assumptions regularly made about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join