It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of the Killer Robots, Expert Warns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

A British expert is urging international action to curb the use of military robot tanks and aircraft.

Noel Sharkey, Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield, said drones that could decide when and who to kill were almost here and would lead to a rapid rise in civilian casualties.

U.S. drones, such as the Predator and Reaper, are being armed with cluster bombs and missiles and robot tanks such as the Talon Sword are armed with machine guns and grenade launchers.

Besides Britain and the U.S., another 43 countries have programmes to develop military robots.

Sharkey said that the increased deployment of automated military technology was already creating a culture of armchair warfare.

"I do think there should be some international discussion and arms control on these weapons but there’s absolutely none,” said Sharkey

Full news article

Not suprising at all. By progamming robots to do the dirty work for us we can cast off the responsibility of taking life.

Are we really that close to the actual days of Terminator? I mean, I know we wouldn't see robots on that scale in the battlefield for another 50 years or so but sometimes it is absolutely amazing how close science fiction becomes science fact.

The moral implications of robots waging war for us is very complex and I don't think we can know right now all that is involved.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
i think we should have robot death matches on the moon to see who is right from now on !! i would love to drive a few remote tanks and airplanes to help out with the cause!

that or im still down with the geriatric boxing between leaders.

"dont want to give us a better deal on gas??? PUT EM UP!! HIYAAA!! Oh crap... crap in my pants!"

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Noel Sharkey, Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield, said drones that could decide when and who to kill were almost here and would lead to a rapid rise in civilian casualties.

Aren't we committing the same error again ?
Its not the drones who will cause civilian casualties, its the humans who hold the joysticks (or in this case, those who pre-program the upgraded drones). Its like saying guns cause murders.

Nit picking aside, future is going to be robots destroying robot, if humans still prefer to sort it out using violence. Its much better than beheading hundreds of people, burning them or dropping bombs over towns.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by rocksolidbrain]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

Allowing machines the choice to take lives is a slipery slope and once made there will be no going back in a sense.

Who knows, allowing them that kind of sentient choice could even lead to them making other choices on there own.....

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
All the major countries are investing in drone technology, it's the only frontline weapon that is increasing in most military budgets.

top topics

join