It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clever birds repeat ancient fable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Even birds have intelligence and this has been proved by this experiment. The ability to use tools is not limited to man alone and even birds are capable of that. The brain of the birds was able to understand that dropping of stones will result in a rise in the water level and when the water rises they can eat the worm. I had yesterday started a thread on Orangutans make musical sounds with leaves and today this article says that the only other animals reported to have solved an Aesop-like problem are orangutans

One of Aesop's fables may have been based on fact, scientists report. In the tale, written more than 2,000 years ago, a crow uses stones to raise the water level in a pitcher so it can reach the liquid to quench its thirst.

Now a study published in Current Biology reveals that it is true. The birds were shown a clear tube containing a small amount of water. Floating upon it was an out-of-reach worm. And a pile of stones were positioned nearby. The rooks had to put multiple stones in the tube until the worm floats to the top

And the four birds did just that. Two, called Cook and Fry, raised the water-level enough to grab the floating feast the very first time that they were presented with the test, while Connelly and Monroe were successful on their second attempt. The birds were extremely accurate, using the exact number of stones needed to raise the worm to a height where they could reach it.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Why, I outta...

I was gonna post this thread about a half hour ago! It's very interesting. The first pair of birds looked and then did it first time. There's been a lot of discussion in psychology...'What is consciousness?' and 'What separates humans from animals?' Much of this involves self-consciousness and forward-planning.

I think science needs to move a little quicker. Monkeys, primates and some birds have shown evidence of both. Some animals have self-awareness and plan ahead. It's a darn fact already!

new topics

join