It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology ad.

page: 1,

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Most disturbing!
When I log in to certain ATS pages, such as www.abovetopsecret.com... a promotional video for Scientology appears!

This only happens if I log in from Slovenia.
If I log in through a proxy that makes it seem to come from Germany, it doesn't appear.

Obviously, this comes only when logging in from certain countries!

STOP THIS! KICK THEM OUT!

If someone tells me how to insert a picture, I will show screen dumps.
But if i click the icon for image insertion I only get the option to insert a URL to it and not to put it in from my hard-disk. How can I do the latter?

Mod Edit: Changed title to a more accurate description.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You can Upload your media to ATS media. Use the same login as the one you use for ATS.

BTW just because there is an advert for Scientology doesn't mean that "ATS has been infiltrated by Scientology"... If an ad with a pretty lady comes up, does that mean ATS has been infiltrated by pretty ladies?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
You're right. It only means that someone hasn't been careful in accepting ads from a very negative organization. And that someone has for an understandable reason also accepted to have it appear only to log-ins from certain counties, which should have arisen his suspicion ...

Would he have accepted it from Al-Qua'ida?

I tried to upload the screendumps, but it says that I have no permission for that ... so what can I then do?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I found that I had to log in once more to upload the pictures.
I loaded them, for not knowing anything better, to "ATS: Member VLogs".

How do I now get them into the next reply, i.e., which URL should I use?

This is a good exercise to learn for any future use ...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
You should've uploaded the images to "My Pictures" under Your Media. But not to worry.

You can use these URLs:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

and

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Use the IMG tag to embed them. HERE is the Media FAQ and should solve any problems you may experience.

As for the ad itself. No-one on ATS sits and hand-picks ads. There is complex software on Google's Adsense side that decides which ads should appear when a page is displayed.

I don't know all the technical details but from time to time an unwanted ad slips through the cracks. These ads are then reported in the Worst ads ever - Hitlist and taken care of accordingly.

By the way, ATS is NEUTRAL towards all topics. In other words we are not pro-Scientology, nor are we against scientology. The same goes for Al-Qua'ida, bicycles, tricycles, bananas, Mika, John Denver and Gucci.

6b) Neutrality: The Above Network, LLC provides a forum for discussing a wide variety of subjects, but does not endorse any particular theory, opinion, viewpoint or position on any topic. Furthermore, though operating costs are supported by advertising and promotional revenue, The Above Network, LLC does not officially endorse or promote any commercial product or service.

Terms & Conditions Of Use.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The ads are generated by Google. In other words, if someone writes about Scientology here, Google registers that word and offers the corresponding ad. Same goes for millions of other keywords.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Except that Scientology is comparable to Al-Qua'ida. How can ATS be neutral about that? You are not neutral about drugs. You are not neutral about sex.

So why are you neutral about something as crazy as Scientology with so much documented about its abuses?

Give me a break.

edit to add: Allowing both sides of a discussion on Scientology is one thing, but if you are allowing them to use your site to recruit new cult members then you are supporting them. That is not neutrality.

[edit on 8/7/2009 by wayno]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

In that case, if anyone ever has a UFO for sale, I guess we will be the first to know.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

So why are you neutral about something as crazy as Scientology with so much documented about its abuses?

Give me a break.

Had a look at the topics lately? A high percentage of them would be considered "crazy" by the mainstream, yet the neutrality position is pervasive throughout all of them, as far as I see. I see no particular conflict between neutrality and the way advertising is generated here. I doubt ATS is specifically soliciting Scientology's business. Scientology uses Google as a medium as does ATS.

But I'll be glad to give you a break. Here, hold these tomato cans while I fire up the E-meter.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Except that Scientology is comparable to Al-Qua'ida. How can ATS be neutral about that? You are not neutral about drugs. You are not neutral about sex.

Sure they are, they just choose not to allow discussion of those topics for the most part, and they are good reasons. After all this is their site, not yours.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You don’t like the ads, then don’t click on them, I see no big deal here.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The ads are generated by Google. In other words, if someone writes about Scientology here, Google registers that word and offers the corresponding ad. Same goes for millions of other keywords.

I didnt know this, that google generated the ads. I too have seen the Scientology adverts alot and wondered why ATS was using them. I do go on alot of threads that discuss spirituality/enlightenment/cults/ascension so that will explain it.

Scientology is a cult no doubt about it but if we dont like it then we can ignore it. Problem is what about those that dont realize its a cult?? The advert I keep seeing has LOVE in massive letters, many may be attracted to that and click on it. Then again we are all able to make our own minds up when given information.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Please report unwanted ads in SkepticOverlord's ad Hitlist

Thank you.

Thread closed.

top topics

join