Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

64 Years ago, Yesterday... (Warning some graphic material)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

my grandfather passed on in 1991 at the age of 85, i think everybody here would have gotten a real kick outa spending an evening with him telling stories, he was very intelegent with a very open mind, he told me years ago that he belived the US was hideing ufo secrets, wierd for a person of his age to think about that, but that the way he was

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
didnt they bomb pearl harbor, just saying two wrongs dont make a right, neither can point a finger

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistingtree
didnt they bomb pearl harbor, just saying two wrongs dont make a right, neither can point a finger

Among other things, like the rape of Nanking. Here's a couple nice photographs from the event,

This one is a photo of Imperial soldiers "practicing" their bayonet training on subdued individuals.

Here is the mounds of children they personally bayonetted, one by one.

That is the fanaticism that was running through Japan at the time. Just about every historian will tell you that many, many more people would have died from a direct invasion of Japan. The only person that could give a surrender order was the Emperor, it's why we never bombed the palace in fact. The US would have literally had to exterminate every person on that island if they had invaded. The citizens had been pumped so full of propaganda that they would have all gladly died for their "god king". There are old videos you can find from the invasion of Okinawa that shows 50-60 year old women flinging themselves off cliffs because they were told the Americans were going to tie them up and rape them repeatedly. People that make guilty claims like the OP made are simply naive. It's my opinion that through it's effect of utter and complete destructive awe, the atomic bombing saved lives.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
wether you see the the atom bombing of japan as right or wrong it happened,
at that time as some one els already pointed out america only had 2 a bombs at the time, now today the world combined has many thousands of much larger bombs than back then !.
even with usa & russia agreeing to dismantal some nuclear stocks, their will still be thousands more much larger nuclear weapons !.
i dont think hiroshima or nagasaki will be the last time humanity uses atomic/nuclear/dirty bombs as today world politics/religious extremism/huge populations makes it quite likley these type of weapons will be used again.
in fact it could be said du shells (depleted uranium) bunker busters are in them selves nuclear devices, just smaller.
if some thing like 911 were to happen again only this time the terrorists flew large passenger aircraft into nuclear power stations................well ide rather not think about that

but i think what im saying is:it may be 64 years ago yesterday to look back & remember hiroshima, but hey i think humanity is in grave danger in the present day.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

I dont want to take away from the meaning of the article, ... but whats the significance of the 64 year anniversary ??? next year it will be 65 years, ... should we observe it as a holiday or something ??

[edit on 7-8-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

There is no significance. It's a thread made just to get stars and flags. But it's a good reminder of how America won the war...

We'll never know for sure how it would've ended if we didn't drop TWO atomic weapons on civilians...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Wow, what else can one say, I guess OMFG, but wow is sufficient.

Do any of you GET the big picture here? The International Monetary Fund, the WHO, the U.N. and so on?

Everything that has happened in history has been carefully planned by a few people. People here spew facts and data and post photos of things that were conducted by psychopathic people NOT under the control of anyone.

Brainwash a bunch of soldiers and allow them to commit the most heinous acts on man and then turn them loose in another country, what do you think will happen? Duh.

Of all the things I have read on ATS, I would think by now the "awakening" would have got to some of you.

libertyforlife.com...

libertyforlife.com...

Following their plan they put in stone on the GEORGIA GUIDESTONES this minority of revolutionaries, an oligarchy of banksters, are intent on exterminating and destroying civilization.

Is it that hard to comprehend that WE have been manipulated and "steered" in different directions in order to distract us from coming together for one purpose, to uncover and expose the lies and deciet used to destroy faith, common knowledge and our freedoms the world over?

Topics like these, the Op's, are good things, but lets not blow them out of proportion. Yes, there have been many, many bad things that have happened in war, but realize the truth is that they have ALL been controlled by those at the top of the pyramid. The head of the Illuminati and the Freemasons.

Nuf said.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

If you ever needed an example of hitting the nail on the head, I think he just provided you with one.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Lovely...another thread by an anti-American who's gonna preach from their moral high ground
and scold the evil United States while sitting in a comfy chair posting on an internet message board.
Sorry for not reading the whole thing...I'm skipping right to the end.

You say you're upset that the MSM hasn't made a big deal over the
anniversaries of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Were you upset last December when the MSM didn't make a fuss on the
anniversary of the Nanking Massacre, when the Japanese Imperial soldiers slaughtered
so many innocent people that an accurate count couldn't even be made? Some estimates believe it
to be over 280,000.
Photos of some of the atrocities of that nightmare could leave you emotionally scarred for life.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
By dropping those bombs, we saved one million American casualties, and millions of Japanese casualties.

Okinawa. Read up on what we and the Japanese suffered on Okinawa for 88 days.

THEN you tell me that it's much better for millions to die over the next couple years than for a few hundred thousand.

Is a few hundred thousand casualties good? Of course not.

But among sins, when given a choice between a few hundred thousand, and a few million, you've got to be one evil dumbass to prefer the few millions.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am at a loss about the singular outrage towards the United States for this. We must not be so quick to judge the past with modern eyes. Though we have a revulsion towards the use of nuclear weapons, perhaps tied to our own lives under the tyranny of the bomb, we must ask if the use was any worse than any other act during the war.

Those who hold an anger and disgust towards the United States, claiming them to be the only nation to use a weapon of mass destruction against a civilian population, are narrow minded to an extreme. According to some estimates, 77 million people died. Untold millions suffered in the aftermath. While the atomic bombs were dramatic in their singularity, weapons of mass destruction were unleashed on a scale dwarfing the power of Little Boy and Fat Man, even if those weapons of mass destruction killed bullet by bullet instead of in a nuclear flash.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
We'll never know for sure how it would've ended if we didn't drop TWO atomic weapons on civilians...

Or what would have happened in the decades following. We so quickly forget the devastation of our last war when rushing in to the next. The memory of mushroom clouds seared in to our minds like shadows on a sidewalk after a nuclear flash is a good reminder. One can argue the tyranny of the nuclear weapon may have made the great powers and superpowers more reluctant to directly confront each other.

But it is a very steep price to pay.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MAB19

its crazy how the US always try and stop other countrys from having nukes when we are the first to have them and use them...i dont blame other countrys for wanting them

You think its crazy to stop rogue countries and terrorists from attaining nuclear technology? Why, so they can nuke New York or Los Angeles? Yes, we had it first, used it to end the bloodiest conflict of the entire earth's history and haven't used it since.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Looking at the why atomic bombs were used, and was it some how worse then conventional bombing, allow me to point out the fire bombing of Tokyo killed at lease 100,000 people. Even including radiation sickness, the two atom bombs, on thier own still did not kill as many people as conventional bombs did this. But to me its more then "just that". I believe with every fiber of my being had we not seen the lurid pictures of burned, broken, and scared people, we would have "gone nuclear" during the cold war. I am convinced of this. Pity we need such horror shows to to get into our head the use of unconventional weapons can be pretty damn obvious in a very in your face style. Don't believe me? We wanted the war to end as quickly as possible. The utter destruction of Japan still did not get them to surrender. They needed "shock treatments" to get them to the table.

I pity those people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and greeve for those people who became nothing but shadows on a wall. I have thought about this for for at least thirty years, and I'm of the mind if I was the president, under the circumstances at that time in I would have done what Truman did.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
War is Hell. The Japanese were the most ruthless SOBS in the War. This is saying alot considering how bad the Russians and Germans were. And lets not forget when we bombed Dresden. I feel the real reason for these slaughters right at the end of the war were to show Stalin not to F with the Anglo alliance. To realy get a grip on how the German soldiers were try viewing a few Vonegaut interviews about the insperation for slaughter house 5. I just think its ridiculous to fram the US as this evil force during the war. War is all about killing people. The whole event the more I look into it is really disturbing. When I was a Kid I read about as this grand crusade to free the world from evil. And now were acepting the social system we were fighting against. The scariest part of it all is when I realized I couldn't tell the difference between the good and bad guys anymore. Hell IBM made money off the 500,000 to 6.5 million jews killed in the war thats more than Hiroshima so you should dtop using your computer. Sorry to get lost in this argument but its so complex. To end this I remeber when I was in High School and we had a speaker whose father had been in the Holocaust. Dont get me wrong Im not one of these crazies who believes the death camps didn't exist. The man just kept saying how the jews were the most tortured race of all time and how there is nothing that compares to there suffering. So when I had the chance to ask the man if he thought the Holcaust could be used to bring light to the genocide in Rowanda and how I wished he talked about the overall huge lost of Life in Africa, at that point he cut me off and said no one will ever suffer like the Jews. I was shocked at this guy blowing off the suffering in Africa like they were sub human and didnt deserve to be saved. So you see until we refuse to accept people being used as cattle and starved because they dont have money what have we really learned from the Holocaust or Hiroshima or Armenia nothing. Oh well just keep up the false illusion that there are Good and Evil countries in this world. Until next time.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Mr. Slayer, with all due respect, I and many others have looked deeply into this matter and have reached our convictions based on the historical evidence.

Look deeper. The Japanese invaded Manchuria in 1931. Then invaded China in 1937. The Japanese raped, tortured and worked the populations to death. The USA placed a scrap steel and aviation fuel Embargo on the Japanese, this is not an act of war. Later, placed an oil Embargo on them. Yes, the USA knew war was coming, but it was the Japanese who were provoking it for a very long time.
americanhistory.suite101.com...

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
One thing that this thread points out, regardless of your opinion on the use of nuclear weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, is a surprisingly widespread ignorance of history. Before anyone (or everyone) gets up in arms about my use of the word "ignorance", allow me to say that I'm using the word in its literal, not its pejorative sense. It's difficult to have a reasonable discussion about the rights and wrongs of events when a surprising percentage of the people trying to have the discussion don't have a clear understanding of the events. I've seen it put forth in this thread that the U.S. used the nuclear weapons on Japan after the Japanese surrendered, and that the devices cracked the Earth's crust...and unfortunately for my blood pressure, a few minutes running web searches led me to a number of sites stating these things as fact. Even quicker searches (or a simple technique called "paying attention in history class") can demonstrate that both claims are false, but they are *believed* by a certain percentage of the population.

I think the most frightening thing (for me, at least) is that a combination of ignorance and historical revisionism could easily lead us (not just 'us, the United States', but 'us, as in the entire human race') down the same path that lead to the last Great War.

Let me toss out a pair of quotes, both from George Santayana, that are germane to this entire discussion:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
(From The Life of Reason, Volume I)

"Before you contradict an old man, my fair friend, you should endeavor to understand him"

Before passing judgment on President Truman, General Tibbets, or any of the other 'old men' who made that decision, try to understand them.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i think its quite important not to just go back to hiroshima/nagasaki a bombs but when you look at the bigger picture concerning atom bombs then take a look at this:
The Triumph and Tragedy of Operation Freshman and Operation Gunnerside
How close were the Nazis to developing an atomic bomb? The reality of a Nazi atomic bomb was foiled in large part due to the great bravery of British and Norwegian commandos in 1942 and 1943.

The Race is On

In December of 1938 an experiment by German physicist Otto Hahn led to the discovery of atomic fission. In the following months, physicists around the world realized Hahn's discovery could lead to a successful chain-reacting uranium pile. The theoretical possibility of a super-explosive,
an atomic bomb, was closer to becoming a reality. In April 1939, Professor Paul Harteck and Dr. Wilhelm Groth sent a letter to the German war office stating that the country that first exercised the use of atomic energy "has an unsurpassed advantage over the others." Soon after receipt of the letter the Nazi Germany government began serious atomic energy research.

& this:

Unterseeboot 234 (U-234) was a WWII German Type XB submarine (U-boat) whose first and only mission into enemy territory consisted of the attempted delivery of uranium and other German advanced weapons technology to the Empire of Japan. After learning of Germany's unconditional surrender, the submarine surrendered to the United States on 14 May 1945.

if these two things had not been stopped it very well may have been a half german half japanese atomic bomb !.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If you beleive what you were taught in school about history ur definately going down the wrong path. Anglo history has been changed to make Anglos look dominate over other cultures. English scholars created a Indo European culture so they didnt have to admit are language comes from sanskrit. History should constantly be revised when flaws are found in acepted knowledge.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well... who hit who first?

THe world ain't a nice place guys, rights are an idea, an idea does not hold.

This is how humans do it:

You f with me?
I f you back harder.

Bombing Japan really isn't bad considering what they did to most of Asia (including cannibalizing children eeeek).

We feel more sorry for bombing the Japanese than for raiding the Nazis because the West does not teach Eastern history.

IN the East, Asian countries would definitely agree that Japan's refusal to apologize for their actions in anyway shows that the Japanese really did want to kill the primitive Asians. I have Japanese friends that I spent time in university with who feel absolutely no remorse for Pearl Harbor or beating up Asia to a pulp. One of them said the Chinese, Koreans, and all the other "brown" people were not intelligent enough to defend themselves.

I doubt that we can unite even when aliens come here to Earth to kill us. One side will probably join up with the aliens and backstab humans only to realize that they were stupid when the aliens finish them off too.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
What I find ironic and saddening is that 64 years on, the US, the only country ever to use a nuclear weapon in an act of war, is the one trying to police the world on who can and can't make them.

That's like making the school bully the hall monitor.

I just don't get it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join