It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why it would rock if everyone lived 10 times longer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Wouldn't life be a lot better if people lived 800, 1000 years instead of 80 or 100?

Think about it. It would NOT cause overpopulation if people only had an average of two kids, because the number of new children born every generation and the number of old people who died would be equal.

There would not be nearly as much tragedy in life. Relative to your lifespan, all the members of your family, including your grandparents and grandchildren, would be very close in age to you (like no more than 10% of a lifetime older/younger than you). So, you would all enter and leave this world around the same time.

People would be much nicer and put far more value on life because life was not so short and brutal like it is today. People would have time to live all their dreams, learn as much about the world as they wanted to, and when it was their "time", they would become so wise they would know what to expect on the other side.

We would have much wiser leaders, because they would have far more years on them, and thus, they would be able to make better choices.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Think about it. It would NOT cause overpopulation if people only had an average of two kids, because the number of new children born every generation and the number of old people who died would be equal.

how would you make people have a two kid limit? ideal, but people would be outraged.

i think people probably live "long enough"

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Hehe the complete opposite is also possible.

Heck i would love to live to be 800, i know i would spent it the right way. But would someone like Hitler, i mean if he had an extra 700 years to plan WW2, well that would be a real disaster. I think before we grow old slower we must wise up faster as a race, rediscover our roots.

good post, SnF

[edit on 7-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
What would we look like ? What would our quality of life be ? Do we get new parts from the body parts bank, or do we just keep ageing ?

I remember my Grandmother at 98 yrs old.
Not a pretty sight.
Mostly skin and bones not much muscle mass left.
Very little hair.
About 5" shorter than she was at 50, all hunched over.
And a bunch of things that hindered her physical abilities.

I must say though she was still quite lucid.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
OMG I don't want my working, lucid head in a plastic box 800 years from now.

On the other hand... If the medical industry can figure out how to keep body parts up to date, then I'm all in

EDIT: speeling

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Zarniwoop]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick

how would you make people have a two kid limit? ideal, but people would be outraged.

i think people probably live "long enough"

you wouldn't "make" them, i'm just saying if people had more than an average of two kids throughout their life, they would multiply uncontrollably, but if they didn't, they would not.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I meant if people's life spans were extended 10 times, including their health. So like being 400 would equal being 40, etc. The exception would be childhood would last 20-30 years, not say a century.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Are you freakin insane!!!
Who wants to work for 10 times as many more years???? Are you some sort of sadist or something?????

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Wouldn't life be a lot better if people lived 800, 1000 years instead of 80 or 100?

There would not be nearly as much tragedy in life. Relative to your lifespan, all the members of your family, including your grandparents and grandchildren, would be very close in age to you (like no more than 10% of a lifetime older/younger than you). So, you would all enter and leave this world around the same time.

People would be much nicer and put far more value on life because life was not so short and brutal like it is today. People would have time to live all their dreams, learn as much about the world as they wanted to, and when it was their "time", they would become so wise they would know what to expect on the other side.

We would have much wiser leaders, because they would have far more years on them, and thus, they would be able to make better choices.

Why stop at 1000 years. How about living forever?

[edit on 7-8-2009 by ericblak1947]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Oh man, that would be spectacular! In 2500, Osama bin Laden will emerge from his hole in a mountain and see sunlight for the first time in a few centuries. Him and his al-Qaeda buddies will get on their camels and walk through the desert planning their next terrorist attack, only to arrive in Kabul and see a sprawling metropolis with flying cars and women who actually have rights. He'll be pissed that they are no longer in the dark ages. Until he finds out that America is actually on another planet in another solar system now, and realizes that they still are. His mindless followers now do kamikaze-starship suicide-bombings on all who don't agree that women now need to wear medieval suits of armor at all times so they aren't seen, that their AK-47's are still superior to the REAPR (Repeating Energy And Plasma Rifles) that are deployed to the military, and that the Kabul is really just a village under the illusion that it's now a city which is created by the devil (a.k.a. the Western world). He picks up a holographic news paper. Within a few seconds, he falls to the ground with a gaping hole in his head and a smoking gun in his hand. The hologram flutters harmlessly to the ground, and lands with the front page facing up. His small army of extremists look at the paper. Then their heart is practically wrenched from them too. Afghanistan no longer exists. It is now a part of Israel. Dozens of gunshots go off in the next few seconds. The galaxy watches on the inter-stellar-net and cheers. The last terrorists in the Universe are finally gone...

Sorry, I had to
(For the record, I wasn't poking fun at any religions or cultures, just making fun of Osama and extremists and their ridiculous ideals and beliefs.)

Anyways, yes that would be awesome if we could live that long. I'd love to see what it would be like in a couple centuries. It would be almost unrecognizable.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Personally I wouldnt want to live that long at all. You think there are big generation gaps now between say 50 year old and 20 year olds, just imagine how bad that would be if the gap was 400 years! I am happy with the life span on this planet. Its how you use it is what matters IMO.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Ten times longer? Pour moi, that would be ten times more painful...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Why it would rock if everyone lived 10 times longer

I agree based on the wisdom that would come from life experience issue. In fact, it is primarily due to our short lifespans that so many hard learned lessons are so soon forgotten and we, as a race, end up negotiating the same obstacles and making the same mistakes over and over again. You can teach history lessons to children but we are not smart enough at a young age to pay heed to the warnings.

It's true that after about age 40, you are no longer young enough to know everything.

If we lived natural lives long enough to outlive the stupid years, we would stand a far better chance of surviving in the long run.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Allright lets, go,

Whoever lives the longest wins.

Slow and steady wins the race

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
That's brilliant. Totally agree. Some thoughts:
1) With the proper combination of modern as well as holistic medicine or treatments we could all be both lucid and healthy into our 90's. Though for that to happen we would have to clean up all the pollution in the air, water, and land
2) We would need organic foods . Or just stop using freaking preservatives, hormones, chemicals, etc. in our foods
3) We would need intergalactic travel. Why, my friends? My feeling is that Through intergalactic travel we would expose ourselves as a race of sentient beings to worlds and life forms which could teach us that which we cannot understand as the simple truth of being alive.
I love my fellow humans. I love them more than they could possibly get. I'm no megalomaniac, I'm no Jesus, I'm no Elvis. It's just ridiculous to think that we are the only intelligent ones floating in space.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Think of how long parents would have to be changing diapers.

How long would a pregnancy last ?

How long would it be untill a womans monthly cycle stopped ?

Buy stock in diapers and tampons !!

[edit on 11-8-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

Are you freakin insane!!!
Who wants to work for 10 times as many more years???? Are you some sort of sadist or something?????

It is quite easy to live beneath your means, and with a few other ppl
and save up enough to move from full time employment to
part time employment.

After several years of that you could move to retired pretty easy.

It is a lot harder to do it on the East and West coast thou as they
cost about double what it does to live in fly over country.

You will see a lot of ppl on the coasts sell their million dollar homes
and retire in fly over country because you can find older homes here
for under 70k that are over 1,500 sq. ft.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
After 1000 years of acid rain, gm food, pesticides, UV rays and reality tv we would all look like them 'grey' critters.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Emagine the state of your piles?

Sorry

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
How about if we just didn't need to sleep? Let's say we sleep 8 hours a day, so that's 1/3 of our lives gone. I guess I would miss being able to dream. Maybe we would have something to make up for it though?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join