It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cellular Memory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I didn't see this topic covered anywhere, and I find it fascinating, so here goes:

Wikipedia

Cellular memory is the hypothesis that such things as memories, habits, interests, and tastes may somehow be stored in all the cells of human bodies, not only in the brain.

The suggestion is based largely around anecdotal evidence of organ transplants after which the recipient was reported to have developed new habits or memories.[1]

In short "cellular memory" is the idea that memories reside in all our cells, not just brain cells.

Together with Schwartz and Russek, Pearsall conducted a study, published in the Spring 2002 issue of the Journal of Near-Death Studies, entitled, "Changes in Heart Transplant Recipients That Parallel the Personalities of Their Donors." The study consisted of open-ended interviews with 10 heart or heart-lung transplant recipients, their families or friends and the donor's families or friends. The researchers reported striking parallels in each of the cases. The following is a sampling of some these.

In one case, an 18-year-old boy who wrote poetry, played music and composed songs, was killed in an automobile accident. A year after he died his parents came across an audiotape of a song he had written, entitled, "Danny, My Heart is Yours," which was about how he "felt he was destined to die and give his heart to someone." The donor recipient "Danny" of his heart, was an 18-year-old girl, named Danielle. When she met the donor's parents, they played some of his music and she, despite never having heard the song, was able to complete the phrases.

In another case, a seven-month-old boy received a heart from a 16-month-old boy who had drowned. The donor had a mild form of cerebral palsy mostly on the left side. The recipient, who did not display such symptoms prior to the transplant, developed the same stiffness and shaking on the left side.

A 47-year-old Caucasian male received a heart from a 17-year-old African-American male. The recipient was surprised by his new-found love of classical music. What he discovered later was that the donor, who loved classical music and played the violin, had died in a drive-by shooting, clutching his violin case to his chest.

A 29-year-old lesbian and a fast food junkie received a heart from a 19-year-old woman vegetarian who was "man crazy." The recipient reported after her operation that meat made her sick and she was no longer attracted to women. If fact, she became engaged to marry a man.

A 47-year-old man received a heart from a 14-year-old girl gymnast who had problems with eating disorders. After the transplant, the recipient and his family reported his tendency to be nauseated after eating, a childlike exuberance and a little girl's giggle.

Aside from those included in the study, there are other transplant recipients whose stories are worth mentioning, such as Claire Sylvia, a woman who received a heart-lung transplant. In her book entitled, A Change of Heart: A Memoir, Ms. Sylvia describes her own journey from being a healthy, active dancer to becoming ill and eventually needing a heart transplant. After the operation, she reported peculiar changes like cravings for beer and chicken nuggets, neither of which she had a taste for prior to the transplant. She later discovered that these were favorites of her donor. She even learned that her donor had chicken nuggets in his jacket pocket when he died in a motorcycle accident.
source

These cases interest me, particularly the last one. It could be a series of coincidences, or it could be that somehow, our cells retain some type of energy involved in the formation of memories.

There are, of course, many theories being thrown around to explain the phenomenon away:

Some people suggested that these events could be explained by cellular memory, as a result of donor organs influencing their recipients. Others suggested that they might be the result of chemical changes in the body caused by transplant medications.
source

And that could very well be the explanation for this phenomenon, but until thorough scientific research is conducted, we won't know the answer.

To date, no case where personality traits or memories have been passed from donor to recipient following an organ transplant has ever been recorded in a peer reviewed medical or scientific journal.
source

Should we not be looking into the possibility? If, for no other reason than the research would help us better understand how our brains work and how memories are formed, I believe we there should be serious scientific research into this area. This gentleman puts it very eloquently:

Like many theories which are largely dismissed by the conventional medical establishment, the idea of cellular memory has not been rigorously tested in controlled studies. Supporters of the theory often reject such studies because they argue that they are flawed because of their connection with “the establishment,” while many skeptics are unwilling to embark on studies to disprove a theory which they already think is wrong. This rather short-sighted attitude is unfortunate, as it might be interesting to conduct large scale scientific studies to get to the bottom of the claims.
source

It's an interesting topic (to me, anyway) and since there wasn't a whole lot of information here about it, I decided to make this thread. I hope it was at least entertaining, if not informative.

TA

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Abssolutely, this is true, and the "mind" is distributed holographically throughout the entire body, the brain just the CPU, maybe even a quantum holographic phenomenon in its own right, capable of non-local interections with the environment, which includes by extension, the entire universe!

Check THIS out

The cell membrane is an organic information processor. It senses the environment and converts that awareness into "information" that can influence the activity of protein pathways and control the expression of the genes. A description of the membrane’s structure and function reads as follows: (A) based upon the organization of its phospholipid molecules, the membrane is a liquid crystal; B) the regulated transport of information across the hydrophobic barrier by IMP effector proteins renders the membrane a semiconductor; and (C) the membrane is endowed with IMPs that function as gates (receptors) and channels. As a liquid crystal semiconductor with gates and channels, the membrane is an information processing transistor, an organic computer chip.

Insight into Cellular "Consciousness"
by Bruce H Lipton, Ph.D.
www.brucelipton.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
An interesting topic in deed!! In South Africa a Dr. J.O. Steenkamp and a co-worker (who is a personal friend of mine) developed a therapeutic technique based on the fact that cells do store memory. It is called SHIP therapy (Spontaneous Healing Intrasystemic Process). Obviously he did not concentrate on the donor side of things, but do believe that all traumatic and other events are somehow stored within the cells of the body, and his technique centres on bringing about healing by addressing those stored memories.

On a lighter note, I suppose we will only see complete memory recounts when a recipient receives a donor brain!! LOL

But none the less, I like your interest in this subject and would like to hear what other members have got to say about it!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Great info, thanks for posting that! I believe this could be true, but I'd really like to see a thorough scientific investigation on the subject.

reply to post by Psychdoc

Cool info about your friend's therapeutic technique.

But none the less, I like your interest in this subject and would like to hear what other members have got to say about it!

Thank you, and I second the wish to hear what others have to say!

Stars for the both of you.

TA

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Here is the full story on the Claire Sylvia case. Absolutely fascinating stuff, definitely worth a read.

An excerpt:

"Was he a beer drinker?" I asked. His sisters nodded.

When I told them how I had wanted a beer soon after the operation, there were smiles all around. It was so amazing just to be there that I had to remind myself that I had come with some specific questions.

I asked if Tim had ever had colds and whether he recovered quickly.

They told me that he was hardly ever ill, and I wondered if this explained my new-found resilience?

I also asked if he liked green peppers.

I'd never liked them before the operation - but afterwards I loved them and included them in virtually every meal.

His sister told me that, yes, Tim had loved green peppers - "but what he really loved were chicken nuggets".

This explained my trips to Kentucky Fried Chicken. I was dumbfounded.

TA

[edit on 7-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: Starred and Flagged!

Sounds to me like Mirror Neurons which IMO all ready have internal cellular memory maps to be able to mimic, have empathy, learn etc. but distributed globally throughout the body in the holographic fashion as mentioned by a member's post above.
I would posit that all fermions and bosons at the quantum levels also have some kind of memory so as to able to enact the laws of reality! Wouldn't it sux if existence itself gets demented and starts to forget things???

Personal Disclosure: The change in some organ recipients tastes and habits etc is a strong indicator of consiousness inhabiting existence at levels previously unheard befor recently. Sorta lends credence that the home of consiousness is just not limited to what is between our ears!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Great info, OmegaLogos, thanks and star for posting that!

Sorta lends credence that the home of consiousness is just not limited to what is between our ears!

The more I investigate this phenomenon, the more I begin to believe that.

TA

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

The human heart is also filled with neurons, and is a tiny brain in its own right..

www.heartmath.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Disclaimer: As above!

Explantion: I just suddenly remembered a 1996 horror movie, starring Will Wheaton of StarTrek Next Generation Fame, called Mr Stitch and it "prophetically" pointed directly to not only cellular memory as being a reality but also how the military could also be using this. Damn my brains on overdrive...Image comics around the same time had comic seriers that focused on the same thing! RE: Bloodstrke. [Team] Who were once dead and then ressurected by the government's Project: Born Again! I sorta have a vague memory of Supreme absolutely slaughtering them all and them being Born Again. Didn't one them, a tall woman I believe, have 4 arms?

Personal Disclosure: Thank You SciFi and Comics!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Proves even more so the whole is worth more than the sum of it's parts. If you ask me.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Interesting stuff. The military could very well know something about this. If they do, we probably won't be hearing about it for quite a while though (at least a decade after the discovery, is usually a good estimate).

reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Agreed.

Stars for both of you.

TA

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Amazing website and information, thanks and star for posting that. The evidence is definitely adding up.

TA

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Kind of like "mind melds" from Star Trek? Cellular memory is completely real and really fascinating. I've been talking to different friends about this recently, and it's really interesting to see it posted here...

I do have a question..
Does anyone think it's possible for us to be getting "visions" or memories of some sort (past life memories) based on the concept of cellular memory? I know there's more to the phenomena than just cells.. I think there could be some kind of energy memory, of some sort.. I am interested in other's opinions...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by physicalbeing
Kind of like "mind melds" from Star Trek? Cellular memory is completely real and really fascinating. I've been talking to different friends about this recently, and it's really interesting to see it posted here...

I do have a question..
Does anyone think it's possible for us to be getting "visions" or memories of some sort (past life memories) based on the concept of cellular memory? I know there's more to the phenomena than just cells.. I think there could be some kind of energy memory, of some sort.. I am interested in other's opinions...

Absolutely, since the cells are an imbedded evolutionary phenomenon, within the instantaneously interdependant, non-local, holographic universe, as a direct causal result, of the "tree of life" - and since the universe as a whole appears to represent, a fully informed and increasingly self aware 'omegapoint' if you will (and yeah I'm it and we're all it) realizing its comolete enfolded potential, within what might be called the "Akashic Field" or the Zero Point Field, the "Bose-Einstein condensate, of the entire universe - which is light itself.

There is a light of life which sustains life, and informs it, and energizes it, in a wholely non-localized and informative manner, based on the entire past life of the universe, which is most fundamentally eternal, right now even.. and this eternal mind of God if you will, since it is both self aware and fully informed, now realized, and has always been, and once realized or actualized (made aware) will be forever, and you are it, this moment, is it. It's all part of it all, everywhere and nowhere, at right angles to everything, and also to nothing, and to itself, which is the integrated apex of the Tao in self realization, and continual reintegration, in symphathetic harmony, with the all in all that is everywhere and nowhere in particular.

Support
Dr. Ervin Laszlo - Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything, 1994
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249719811&sr=8-1

"God" is a progressive eternal recurrence of the pursuit or the realization of each "wave" of possibility, and we as self aware God in potentia, are at the very leading edge of the tip of the spearhead, of evolutionary progress, and where it points directly - which is toward the SPIRITUAL evolution of man, as he dissolves his ego in the time that has become no time at all. In God - forever. In ths dream, willingly and by choice, in the dream that never ends.

That realization, that experience, if true, MUST be available to the human being, as an aggregate cellular consciousness suspended in a universal, now-conscious (fully informed from height to breadth and depth in a light which is simultaneously, at right angles both to everything and nothing [a kkingdom of heaven..!], another dimension, of which this moment wherein we now find ourselves, is but it's reflection, and eternal manifestation, since all is, in fact, a manifestation, of light itself.

so while it may have sounded like he's was utterly crazy and whacked in the head, for Jesus to say "you must eat my fllesh and drink my blood" makes sense only in the context, that his cellular God-consciousness, represented or have come to fully align with, the light of life itself, or the eternal father of all creation, who's intelligence moves through spirit, the only non-localized communication schema in existence.

Bell's theorum prohibits transluminal communications for everything other than the photons themselves, but through them, via a universal transluminal (non-local) CONSCIOUSNESS, light transcends matter, and so "the word" as sybolic expression of meaning, may very well represent a type of God-NLP, capable of adressing the cells and even the DNA itself, and surely it always IS informing our body and all physical material substance - and only we, our egoic self, stands in the way of perfect health and well being, both in mind and body - via a LACK of presence or awareness (consicousness).

"If thine eye be single then thy whole body will be filled with light."

the key to this statement imo, is to know, that there is a distinction between thine and thy, and I.

The kingdom of heaven IS now! (I'm sure Jesus used to say that alot, although it may have gotten tamped down by the church).

[edit on 8-8-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So of course all past lives are also present and represented in the present, at the most fundmantal level, since that most fundamental level is the very substrate within which the chemisty of this consciousness generating process occurs, but the future, it COULD be shaped also by this very consciousness, in a self referencial eternal Von Neumann catastrophe
clublet.com...
www.pensamientocomplejo.com.ar... cs%201976.pdf

'who's' ultaimte "modus operandi" as a self aware and self realized eternal conscious awareness - is love. A love for which there is no opposite, a love so absolutely unrelenting, that it conquors over the all, even in death, because there can be no such thing as death, in God.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I am curious, how do you think that fits with this?

Electrodes implanted in the brains of people with epilepsy might have resolved an ancient question about consciousness.

Signals from the electrodes seem to show that consciousness arises from the coordinated activity of the entire brain. The signals also take us closer to finding an objective "consciousness signature" that could be used to probe the process in animals and people with brain damage without inserting electrodes.

Previously it wasn't clear whether a dedicated brain area, or "seat of consciousness", was responsible for guiding our subjective view of the world, or whether consciousness was the result of concerted activity across the whole brain.

Probing the process has been a challenge, as non-invasive techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging and EEG give either spatial or temporal information but not both. The best way to get both simultaneously is to implant electrodes deep inside the skull, but it is difficult to justify this in healthy people for ethical reasons.

Brainy opportunity
Now neuroscientist Raphaël Gaillard of INSERM in Gif sur Yvette, France, and colleagues have taken advantage of a unique opportunity. They have probed consciousness in 10 people who had intercranial electrodes implanted for treating drug-resistant epilepsy.

While monitoring signals from these electrodes, Gaillard's team flashed words in front of the volunteers for just 29 milliseconds. The words were either threatening (kill, anger) or emotionally neutral (cousin, see).

The words were preceded and followed by visual "masks", which block the words from being consciously processed, or the masks following the words weren't used, meaning the words could be consciously processed. The volunteers had to press a button to indicate the nature of the word, allowing the researchers to confirm whether the volunteer was conscious of it or not.

Between the 10 volunteers, the researchers received information from a total of 176 electrodes, which covered almost the whole brain. During the first 300 milliseconds of the experiment, brain activity during both the non-conscious and conscious tasks was very similar, indicating that the process of consciousness had not kicked in. But after that, there were several types of brain activity that only occurred in the individuals who were aware of the words.

Lost seat
First, there was an increase in the voltage levels of the signals in their brains. Second, the frequency and phase of neurons firing in different parts of the brain seemed to synchronise. Then some of these synchronised signals appeared to be triggering others. For example, activity in the occipital lobe seemed to cause activity in the frontal lobe.

Because this activity only occurred in volunteers when they were aware of the words, Gaillard's team argue that it constitutes a consciousness signature. As much of this activity was spread across the brain, they say that consciousness has no single "seat". "Consciousness is more a question of dynamics, than of a local activity," says Gaillard.

Bernard Baars of the Neuroscience Institute in San Diego, California, who proposed a "global access" theory of consciousness in 1983 agrees: "I'm thrilled by these results."

He says they provide the "first really solid, direct evidence" for his own theory. He also says that having such a signature will make it easier to look for signs of consciousness in people with brain damage, infants and animals with the help of non-invasive techniques such as EEG.

Journal reference: PLoS Biology, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1000061

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
i think that brain is at the leading edge of the tip of the spearhead of universal non-localized, evolutionary progression, or the most complex phenomenon yet created - AND, that at the most fundamental level, it's made of the same quantum consciousness, which serves as the very creative process which gives rise to existence in the first place. And it's the WHOLE environment, including all past and present universes.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I think perhaps their tests was too small a scope and would most likely find the consciousness "signiture" distributed through the body if the idea of Cellular Memory is in fact true *I think it is*.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Still, to think that we may exist consciously, within the whole body, that's astounding!

We may indeed possess a "light body" is what I'm saying, already now.

And maybe the heart brain is like an arrow, which points the way, a lamp of some kind.

But just think of the miracle, of the sheer complexity of the human body, and then consider those neurons AS imbedded or emmersed within an Akashic Field of all information, from forever, even as the very CREATOR, and the light of life which informs the body, risiding as an underlying presence of awareness within and throughout the entire mind/body spectrum..?!

It's a mind blowing theory, which makes of the whole body, something which is beginning to look like, when consciousness and light are factored in, a being designed by evolution, to mirror the creator, as the highest expression OF that creator or creative impulse, fully informed and self aware.

I think we're beginning to understand something, that the ancients and the mystics through the ages, could only intuit and represent allegorically, and perhaps that, as meaning, interpreted correctly CAN also perfectly describe it, except the ability to interpret those things was lost through cultural disintegration - but nevertheless, a conception of reality and the place of the human being within it, which CAN and IS being recovered and uncovered, made known, fully grokked.

If such a theory were liberating, in relation to freedom and the capacity for choice, while framed in love itself as the catalyst and stimulous to creation, then we're there.

It's only who we THINK we are, and the egoic self which is responsible for generating the illusion, which viels the truth about who and what we really are, and who and what God really is, as spirit, as information, intelligence, awareness.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I don't go as far as you do. BUT! I do think we are in a sense scientifically beginning to detect the "fingerprint" *physical impression of it's presences so to speak as a soul is most likely comprised of energy* of the soul *that consciousness signiture* and it runs all through our entire body.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

<<   2 >>

join