It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sotomayor OK'd for Supreme Court in historic vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
my.earthlink.net.../4a7a6350_3ca6_15526200908061952395024

WASHINGTON - Sonia Sotomayor won confirmation Thursday as the nation's first Hispanic Supreme Court justice, a history-making Senate vote that capped a summer-long debate heavy with ethnic politics and hints of high court fights to come.

The third woman in court history, she'll be sworn in Saturday as the 111th justice and the first nominated by a Democrat in 15 years.

The Senate vote was 68-31 to confirm Sotomayor, President Barack Obama's first Supreme Court nominee, with Democrats unanimously behind her but most Republicans lining up in a show of opposition both for her and for the president's standards for a justice.

The whole dynamic of the SC could now change with more old justices ready to retire or die. Obama could stack the SC with even more Liberal judges; a definite change from the GOP dominated years with the conservative leanings.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Once again Democrats are unified. Combine that with 9 traitorous Republicans and the Democrats get their way again.

I am so sick of the Republican Party.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Boo!

I am so tired of 'Historic' votes. How about one that makes sense for a change, or hell, let's go out on a limb and have one or two that actually turn out to be in the best interest of the citizens.

Another patsy voted in because there wasn't one there already. 'Let's put a parking lot here, there's not one on THIS side of town.'

Buy future votes and support with strategic elections. What sucks, is that it's not going to work. Not even THIS one is gong to help.

Edit to to add the missing letters that anger anger hid from me.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by KSPigpen]

new topics

join