It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A “New Cydonia” of ancient extraterrestrial monuments found on Mars Aug 6, 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

A major, new complex of massive, ancient terra-forms has been found in the Reull Vallis of Mars. The monuments were photographed by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) onboard the Mars Orbiter Express of the European Space Agency (ESA) on January 15, 2004 from a height of 170 miles above the surface of Mars.

The Reull Vallis site includes at least nine striking statues of human and animal faces clearly visible from space, including very large ground drawings featuring the profiles of primates and canines. Like the long-heralded Cydonia site, this intriguing new site also contains a large, pyramid-shaped landform that can be seen at the right bottom of the ESA photograph, where the channel of the Ruell Vallis turns and flows to the south.

Andrew D. Basiago, 47, president of the Mars Anomaly Research Society (MARS), made the finding in the ESA photograph captioned SEMBY9474OD. Basiago has termed the complex “New Cydonia” after the location of The Face on Mars that was discovered by Vincent DiPietro and Gregory Molenaar, two computer engineers at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center while searching through NASA archives in 1976.

www.examiner.com...
exopolitics.blogs.com...

Reull Vallis, is that one of the locations NASA was deciding on last year or was it Mawrth?
Well, anyways despite if these are true artificial landforms or not, its cool to see Mars back in the news with some potential controversy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spikedmilk

That's awesome..i love the Mars photos we get to see..now i wanna see the ones we Dont get to see..lol..great find

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Supremely cool, without doubt.

I know one-liners are a no-no, but to be honest, kinda speechless.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
[edit on 6-8-2009 by ziggyproductions05]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think that entire article was absurd.

My .02.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Umm, hello. Sources? I can't get either link to work. The first is completely toasted and the second has Adobe Acrobat issues I shouldn't have to mess with. Blogs are usually not the most reliable sources anyway. If the photos were taken in January, '04, why did it take so long to hear about them? Smells fishtastic...

OK, first link works now. Sorry. My last question still stands, though.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Dean Goldberry]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. This goes beyond pareidolia, and has to be one of the worst examples of anomaly-hunting. Basiago, et al. are ascribing a significance to landforms that bear only the most vague and abstract resemblance to what Basiago claims them to represent. In truth, they only have significance because Basiago, et al. want them to have significance. He has a theory in search of evidence, clumsily trying to mold anything that appears slightly strange to be evidence for this theory.

Not to mention the laughable claims something resembles a "sasquatch" and a "martian".

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
ummmmm disclosure? if this isnt a huge step in that direction, i dont know what is.

You cannot be serious.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

yeahhhh i may have taken that a little too far, i'll admit it
After checking into this further, definately not what i was expecting. Just one persons interpertation

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
These are amazing but, nothing compared to the original region of cydonia s.p. The original face of Mars and the surrounding area intrigue me far more then these new photos as far as possible structures go.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
These are amazing ...

At the risk of being the proverbial broken record...

...you cannot be serious.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
excellent find. You know.. for a dead planet... mars has a lot of green... even tint which suggest atleast algea, still produces air. But from the vast distance the photographs were taken, it is a *snip* load of green

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/6/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I was so excited when I read the title and quotes. Then I opened the links.

At best they look like uniquely shaped mountains, at worst, delusions... but regardless, none of them look intelligently designed what so ever. No geometric shapes or anythings.

Pretty disappointed. Wish I could remove flags.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

If you don't like geography, then you shouldn't be hanging out in martian landscape threads! LOL If you don't think the Grand Canyon is amazing then of course you won't like these pictures either. Not to sound like a broken record but...these are nothing like the original area where the face of mars is located. Not even close. I don't see anything resembling man made structures or sculptures here. The face of Mars however is a different story in my opinion.

Edit to add: I still think they were pretty cool pics!

[edit on 6-8-2009 by amazing]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I was expecting to see some defined drawings in the ground, like the Inca Lines or whatever they're called. Not this... this is more than likely a natural formation!

ESA: The Barking Dog with Orb Crater (Reull Vallis)

I'm not convinced, sorry

[edit on 6/8/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

this is more than likely a natural formation!

More than likely? This is undoubtedly a natural formation and to even suggest otherwise flies in the face of all common sense.

In fact, I am of the opinion that this article is a joke. Seriously. Like a mockery of a fool who believes that those irregular shaped mountains with "points" at the top at "cydonia" are artificial structures.

You see, people argue that these things are replicas of Egyptian architecture while ignoring the fact that the pyramids are actually uniformed in approach AND appearance.

Oh, and the face that corresponds with the Sphinx? Bullsnap. Since when is the 'face' of the Sphinx visible from 100 miles above the surface?

Catch my drift? If someone on Mars built that thing to look like a human face, why in hell would they build it in such a way that you can't see it from the ground?

It is just a mountain, people! For the love of Pete!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Another post to try and emphasize my exasperation even moreso!

IF, AND THIS IS A BIG BIG IF, the people from ancient times flew to Mars to build Pyramids (as the idiot who wrote this article laughingly suggests, I believe) why are they so horrible in comparison to those on Earth?

I mean surely these people who did this mastered the building techniques here before they took them to the heavens, right?

If aliens built them then we would expect them to hold to the same standards as well!

This is absurd!

Sorry for my abrasiveness. I have tried hard not to comment on these issues my entire time here at ATS, but I am growing tired of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You can tell this guy is seeing "evidence" any where he wants. Lobster hands to depict death by deluge? I looked at every pic and didn't see any of the things that were supposed to be there. I honestly can't imagine anyone with a shred of intelligence would be taken in by this. People like this really piss me off. They're the ones who make the search for the truth into a circus where people can point and say look at the nut cases, they believe in little green men.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
What a disappointing bunch of pictures

I get duped everytime I come into these Mars threads it seems.
The somewhat-pyramid shaped mountain is somewhat interesting,
but from what I see it is probably a natural formation.
They all look natural to me.

Thanks again Mars

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join