It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Founding father created a national healthcare system.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Thought this might be an interesting twist.

In Salem, and elsewhere in the young United States, merchant mariners thus appeared at the customhouse in search of "a passport to the hospital." In 1799 the federal government established these hospitals, or marine hospitals, in most ports throughout the country to care for sick and disabled merchant mariners. The government financed the hospitals by a tax on sailors’ monthly wages. As ships returned to port, customs officials collected the marine hospital tax and forwarded it to the federal Treasury Department in Washington, D.C. The Treasury then distributed these funds to customs officials to hire doctors and nurses to care for merchant mariners. In larger ports, such as Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, and New Orleans, the federal government operated its own hospitals. Throughout the nineteenth century the marine hospitals grew westward with the nation. By 1900 the hospitals had treated hundreds of thousands of merchant mariners.

Sailors health and national wealth

The founding father and Congress saw that it was important to make sure the very people who kept the goods moving in and out of the country were covered and had medical treatment.

They understood the value of having a healthy hearty population that could contribute to the national economy.

Following the Civil War American Civil War The American Civil War , also known as the War Between the States and several Naming the American Civil War, was a civil war in the United States.... , public outcry and scandal surrounded the Marine Hospital Fund. In 1869, Dr. John Shaw Billings John Shaw Billings John Shaw Billings was a librarian and surgeon best known as the modernizer of the Library of the Surgeon General's Office of the Army and as the creator of the New York Public Library.... --a prominent Army surgeon--was appointed to head an investigation of the Marine Hospital Fund. Dr. Billings found the hospital fund to be inadequate and completely unorganized. In 1871, the Marine Hospital Fund was formally reorganized as the Marine Hospital Service, under the direction of Dr. John Maynard Woodworth. Dr. Woodworth was appointed to the Service as "Supervising Surgeon." He reorganized the service into a disciplined organization based on his experience in the Union Army as a surgeon. Dr. Woodworth required his physicians to be a mobile work force stationed where the service was in need, and he mandated the daily wear uniforms. This eventually led to the creation of the modern-day Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Public Health Service Commissioned Corps The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps is the federal uniformed service of the United States Public Health Service consisting of only commissioned officers, and is one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.... . Dr. Woodworth, using Army-style heraldry, created the Marine Hospital Service fouled anchor and caduceus Caduceus The caduceus is typically depicted as a short herald's Staff entwined by two Serpent in the form of a double helix, and sometimes is surmounted by wings.... seal which is used to this day by the Public Health Service. In 1873, Dr. Woodworth’s title was changed to "Supervising Surgeon General," a forerunner of the modern-day office of Surgeon General of the United States Surgeon General of the United States The Surgeon General of the United States is the operational head of the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps and thus the leading spokesperson on matters of public health in the Federal government of the United States.... .

Marine hospital service
It is interesting from a historical perspective. Especially how the surgeon general came about.

As the nation grew, the scope of Marine Hospital Service's scope of duties grew to include domestic and foreign quarantine and other national public health functions. In 1902, the Marine Hospital Service was renamed the "Public Health and Marine-Hospital Service." In 1912, the name of the service was changed to the Public Health Service to encompass its diverse and changing mission. Over time, the hospitals of the service were also expanded to include research and prevention work as well as the care of patients. Aside from merchant seamen, members of the military Military A military is an organization authorized by its nation to use force, usually including use of weapons, in defending its country by combating actual or Threat of force .... , immigrants, Native Americans Native Americans in the United States Native Americans in the United States are the Indigenous peoples of the Americas from the regions of North America now encompassed by the continental United States United States, including parts of Alaska and the island state of Hawaii.... , other federal beneficiaries, and people affected by chronic and epidemic Epidemic In epidemiology, an infection that is epidemic appears as new cases in a given human population, during a given period, at a rate that substantially exceeds what is "expected," based on recent experience .... diseases found a source for health care in the PHS and its hospitals

During the Nixon Richard Nixon Richard Milhous Nixon was the List of Presidents of the United States President of the United States and the only president to resign the office.... administration, funding was cut to the PHS hospitals program and many of these institutions closed or were turned over to local public health offices. Eight survived as federal institutions until the early 1980s, when further budget cuts put an end to their funding. Some, such as the one in Savannah, Georgia Georgia (U.S. state) Georgia is a U.S. state in the United States and was one of the original Thirteen Colonies that revolted against United Kingdom rule in the American Revolution.... , continued as outpatient low-income health clinics up to 2003 while others, such as the large hospital in San Francisco on the grounds of the US Army Presidio Presidio of San Francisco The Presidio of San Francisco is a park on the northern tip of the San Francisco Peninsula in San Francisco, California, within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.... , were diverted to other Federal and military uses. In the case of the Presidio, the PHS Hospital was used as a site for language training for military officers in the late 1980s.

The majority of the uninsured is the labor force. Your truck drivers, food pickers, housekeepers,and young adults.

Not to mention, most of the uninsured belong to small companies.

Workers who work for small companies are also more at risk, because those companies are less likely to be able to offer insurance to their employees. Only 52 percent of companies with less than 10 workers offer their employees health insurance, while 99 percent of firms with more than 200 employees do, according to a 2004 Kaiser Foundation study of employer health benefits. "The profile of the uninsured has not really changed much since we've been studying it," said Paul Fronstin, a senior research associate at the Employee Benefit Research Institute, who's been examining data on the uninsured for more than 15 years. "It's low income workers, it's people in the labor force or associated with someone in the labor force, and it's disproportionately tied to people who work in small businesses." Age

the uninsured in america

Small businesses drive the economy. Start up businesses account for most new jobs. In order to attract educated, healthy labor, they need to be able to offer affordable health insurance. It spurs economic growth.

What really drives the U.S. economy? No, it is not war. Small business -- firms with fewer than 500 employees -- drives the U.S. economy by providing jobs for over half of the nation's private workforce. The latest figures from the SBA show that small businesses with fewer than 20 employees increased employment by 853,074 during 2001-2002.

small businesses drive us economy

So while many first think of looking at the immediate cost. I think the economic cost, much less the priceless cost of not losing 18,000 people a year who don't have health insurance, worth some kind of health care reform.

The best way to protect your own freedom is to watch everybody else's back. That's the essence of community." -- ski racer Bode Miller

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Is the concern about healthcare ran by government or the healthcare plan currently being proposed?

IMO, it is the latter that is playing the biggest role.

How can you trust your elected officials to do what is best for America when they haven't even read the bill?

That is the reason they are having a hard time at these meetings because they don't really know the answers to the questions being put forth to them.

The cost is a major concern for some, but I feel the fact that nobody really knows what all is in the bill is even a bigger concern.

Why is it that Obama can say that healthcare will do this and that but never gives you the page number from the bill to back up what he states?

Flag for your thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
What part of the Constitution states the government may use public funds for healthcare?

Please spare me the misguided general welfare clause argument as no court has ever affirmed that OPINION.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I suppose providing for the general welfare might be considered as providing for public health care, but when the congressmen won't read the bill, and won't post it so we can read it, I have to say "NO!" Wait a minute. Not "NO!" but "NO, but HELL NO!"

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Ah but general means "the whole". Right now there are exponentially more people who have insurance than those who do not.

Hence this health care crap is meant to benefit a small portion of the total population, not the whole as the general welfare clause would require.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Um.....when questioned a couple of weeks ago about a certain written aspect of the health bill, which Obama was pushing, he had to say he didn't know what the questioner was talking about. The question referred to something in the bill that was in direct opposition to what Obama was proclaiming. Forgive me for not having a link. All this is happening so quickly that I can't possibly keep up with it all. That in itself makes me question what is going on. Yes, I want some form of healthcare revision in this U.S. of A. Something to cover those of us who fall through the cracks of the system. But I am very suspect of those people pushing this stuff right now who can't even answer questions about it all. I expect my congresspersons to be informed. I expect my president to be informed.
And I expect them all to be able to intelligently discuss all of it. Is this too much to ask? Just who is writing these bills, anyway? Let's go back in time a bit to Charles Rangel, whose commitee wrote the rules, supposedly concerning income taxes. Yet he can't understand the rules? Doesn't realize if he earns rental income from his property he must pay taxes on it? Duh. Turbo Tax is your friend. I suggest a private company provides us with Turbo Healthcare.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The last I heard there were 5 bills, LOL.

I think it is a problem of, pick my bill! That is just my guess.

This is a really big deal. I think a lot of people want credit for the reform. They are fighting over who gets kudos. Because that is more important.

who knows.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

One of the bills has been posted. Later on I will dig it up and post it for you.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath

But even those with coverage are not gaurenteed healtcare. How many people thought the were covered and the insurance said nope!

There are many people, who like myself, had health insurance and was going broke. I spent 9k last year just on coverage alone. between copays and what insurance didn't cover, we paid 12-15k a year on health insurance. At the beginning of the year they jacked it up 150 a month and tried to pretend it wouldn't affect us. My husband almost punched the guy.

50% of bankruptcies are over medical costs.

18,000 people die each year from being uninsured.

Seniors have to decide between life keeping medicine or food. Many of them vets.

Someone may correct me on this, but I think insurance companies have remained pretty stable or untouched through this recession. To have that much money must be lovely.

Their costs in recent years has increased 5X the national inflation.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
What part of the Constitution states the government may use public funds for healthcare?

Please spare me the misguided general welfare clause argument as no court has ever affirmed that OPINION.

forget the law and think of human rights....might be better place to target your perspective

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by TheAftermath

But even those with coverage are not gaurenteed healtcare. How many people thought the were covered and the insurance said nope!

There are many people, who like myself, had health insurance and was going broke. I spent 9k last year just on coverage alone. between copays and what insurance didn't cover, we paid 12-15k a year on health insurance. At the beginning of the year they jacked it up 150 a month and tried to pretend it wouldn't affect us. My husband almost punched the guy.

50% of bankruptcies are over medical costs.

18,000 people die each year from being uninsured.

Seniors have to decide between life keeping medicine or food. Many of them vets.

Someone may correct me on this, but I think insurance companies have remained pretty stable or untouched through this recession. To have that much money must be lovely.

Their costs in recent years has increased 5X the national inflation.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by nixie_nox]

exactly...well said!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 297GT

Human rights.......

How about my human rights?

How about my right to not have money taken from me to pay for you?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

a) Could you source that 18k figure?

b) Assuming its true, that 18k number is exponentially lower than those that die in auto accidents. Why dont we deal with that first?

c) I spent 3600 bucks on insurance last year for myself, my wife, and my son. Ever think of doing some comparison shopping when it comes to insurance?

d) Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have also managed to retain a great deal of their wealth during this recession. What was your point?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

reply to post by 297GT

Human rights.......

How about my human rights?

How about my right to not have money taken from me to pay for you?

You dont pay for me....
But anyways, what a selfish position to take....

It means nothing that the US has one of the highest child mortality rates in the world...among other non flattering stats.

Why rely on insurance companies to provide health care...the insurance companies don't care about you...the ONLY reason they exists is to make money off you.
Now the Government that is elected by the people is there to serve the people and protect them...
Now tell me any greater service or protection one can provide for people if it's not health care?

Here's a kicker so you dont have to worry about your back pocket over the next kid that dies because their parents dont have health insurance...stop he war on cannabis.
Do you know how much $$$ is spent on prohibition of hemp? and for what reason? originally to allow a few companies to monopolize the markets with products that would compete with hemp/cannabis.

Use the wasted money on that and put it towards health...DONE!!!! You dont have to worry about your precious god(the dollar) you provide the a chance for all to 'live' in the land of the free, and a few stoners dont go to jail for smoking again saving even more money.

And dont even start the BS on cannabis....when cigarettes are legal and the worst drug of all is still legal > alcohol

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

The last I heard there were 5 bills, LOL.

I think it is a problem of, pick my bill! That is just my guess.

You're right, there is no single bill you can point to at this juncture.

Right now there are three Congressional committees -- two in the House and one in the Senate-- that are hashing out different plans and what will be in them.

Everything is in flux now. So much is on the table. When a bill comes up for a vote in the House and Senate in the fall, there will be something concrete one can point to and read and interpret. A lot that we hear is being discussed will be cut or amended. And even when the vote does come up, there is likely to be a House version and a Senate version.

Health care legislation is not yet carved in stone. There is time for different views to be heard.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I disagree. Social Security and Medicare (to name a few programs) were passed under the general welfare clause and are upheld by the courts. Ask the elderly if they think their programs are just opinions.

new topics

top topics

join