It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hunts For The Missing Thunderbird Picture

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The two libraries near me did not have the book, so I'm ordering it from Amazon.

Also, that drawing is not what I saw. It was indeed in front of a barn, but the animal had kind of a more pterosaur look to it. Not like a full-on pterosaur, just a bird that looked like a cross between the two.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

Aw, you didn't have to go ahead and order. I hope it's interesting even if the picture isn't there.

And I guess you could always sell it back on ebay or something if it's not helpful, right?

Thank you so much for all your help.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I'm just as curious to see what happened to this photo as you. A couple of dollars is nothing compared to what I would give to find out the truth about this whole thing.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I've been on this hunt a while back on another forum. It never did come to mind that I had not had internet the first time I remember seeing it until I started the search again. The curious thing is there were years between the first and last time I saw the photo, and the last time I am absolutely 100% sure it was online then...

[edit on 8/30/09 by Magnivea]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Ok, one more post for now.

So, as I'm sure some of you know, I live in Schenectady, New York about 10 miles from Albany. I noticed in that Strange Magazine article that one person who had seen the photo said it was in Albany, NY. Another said he was visiting an old library while in Upstate NY when he found the photo in an older book.

So, I called my grandmother on may last break to ask her about all of this. She's the one that got me interested in cryptozoology and just history in general. We used to go through all of the historic buildings and visit the old libraries every weekend.

So anyway, as soon as I mentioned the photo she knew exactly what I was talking about. Keep in mind that I have never mentioned this to her before and she thinks the internet is evil so I'm pretty sure she did not see it online. All I got out was that I was looking for an old photo of a thunderbird that went missing and she described it to me.

She told me that she thinks the place that we originally saw it was in a book at the Harmanus Bleecker Library in Albany in about 1988. The thing is that library closed down and was converted into offices. Tomorrow I'm going to start some research into where the books went after the library closed (it could be as simple as going across the street to the newer library that replaced it) and hopefully get some more information.

And I'm still ordering the book because I know I've seen the photo on several occassions and I still think I may be able to find it through trial and error on Amazon. I'll let anyone who cares know as soon as I find anything.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

You are awesome, and so cool your grandma could help! Unfortunately, usually when libraries close down they donate the books or sell them at book fairs. The likelihood of records being kept on each specific book is minimal at best. However, as long as you feel motivated and have the time, I thank you for your effort and dedication on this search and I look forward to anything and everything you will discover.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
maybe it's in a newspaper on microfilm, in a library.
Though that would be near impossible to track down, since you have to know when and where/which newspaper it was published in, I don't think you can do a search on specific subject matter . . .
I've never seen it, so I really don't know where else you could begin

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Hey girly. You know I saw one of them last year? I posted about it right here when it happened. I had no idea what it was at the time. Wasn't until I did some research that I realized what I had seen and how special it was.

To my tribe anyway.

Here is a link to the thread. Thunderbird spotted.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Hey, just an update for anyone keeping track.

As it turned out, the library actually kept most all of their books, just moved them across to the newer building. I've only been able to spend about an hour or so over the last week, as I don't always have my car and my schedule at work is all over the place. I'll post more as I find more books featuring thunderbird stories.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I did an extensive search but did not find the picture you seek.

I googled "Thunderbird", "Giant bird", "Giant eagle", "Ancient eagle", "ancient bird" to no avail.

A word of caution: Don't google "Big Bird", You won't find the picture your looking for and your 4 year old will take over your computer for the next two hours!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just a thought - let's assume for a minute that Tbirds are real. Perhaps they are associated with thunderstorms because they need or like the extreme updrafts found at the edge of thunderheads. Maybe they are too heavy to fly in calm conditions. Just thinkin out loud here.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have seen them four times now with wingspans of about twenty feet here in Washington State.........They are beings not birds.......do not wish to be bothered by us.........I follow a Lakota Heyoka path am in contact with many spirit guides.......The Thunderbeings are one of them..............The best pictue of what I saw was the Argintine bird in the museum............They Look like a mix between a giant Raven or Vulture with hooked beaks and Talons..........No white on them like the condor.......just jet black...........They just want to be left alone but have given me a few messages for my Heyoka path...........GW.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
:-D
Guys i think i found it.
I was on a old newspaper website and i typed in the name of the newpaper you wrote about. It came up with the page and a message saying "guests cannot view images" i tried joining but the website isnt free.

www.newspaperarchive.com

:-D

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Personally I've never been able to get a picture but I can tell you where to look... Along west facing slopes of the Rocky Mountains... Naturally you look on overcast days where it threatens to rain...

I think they use the cloud cover as a form of camouflage though they stick out black or dark brown against the gray sky the thing is who looks up while its raining???

The why of west facing slopes is the easy part... prevailing winds in my part of the world are always west to east... we get this huge updraft on the west side of mountains... that makes it easier for large raptors to soar without expending a whole lot of energy...

I've never seen one strike or in a dive... only way up high doing a typical lazy circle... if that is how they hunt the have the best eye sight of any big bird... However condors find their meal by sent and they fly just as high so who's to say... they are rare. as long as I've been alive I've only seen a few maybe six or seven always as a lone bird never in pairs...

They do seem to migrate in the spring I see them moving generally north about the same time we see the sand hill cranes move. maybe that's another reason they get missed.... hard to pick out one lone bird way up high when the sky under them is filled with noisy cranes...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Just a thought - let's assume for a minute that Tbirds are real. Perhaps they are associated with thunderstorms because they need or like the extreme updrafts found at the edge of thunderheads. Maybe they are too heavy to fly in calm conditions. Just thinkin out loud here.

Interesting idea. but what would they be doing when the weather was nice?
If they were hopping around on the ground waiting for the next thunderstorm I think they would have gone the way of the Moa a long time ago.

I would love for them to be proved to be real though. Living in Florida I see Turkey Vultures and Eagles all the time, they are amazing birds. I have an eagle that perches in a tree in my backyard and watches my chickens, just waiting for one to get out of the coop.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Actually, yes you would be correct. Even a small hawk will take advantage of those updrafts. I still think they would be able to fly though in calm conditions just not for very long.

Then again if perched high up on a mountain they could probably soar for an incredible distance no matter the conditions.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I know this is an older thread but damn was it interesting.

I was just wondering if there has been any more information on this or maybe reviving this thread might help.

I too remember this photograph and would like to see it again and it can't hurt to bring this topic back up.

Great work Raven.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm sure I have seen this photo somewhere before, and thinking back, I am sure it was in a UK publication years ago called The Unexplained, which was a monthly magazine which covered everything from UFOs to Bigfoot!!

I have tried to quickly google to see if there are any issues online, but found nothign yet, maybe another member can find the issue contents somehow!1

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
There used to be a magazine here in the UK called Xfactor (before Simon Cowell nicked the name for his singing show) and I have the nearly complete collection in the loft packed away (I'm somehow missing two issues, hopefully it wasn't in them) and when I next get the chance I will look through the entirety of my collection, because I'm nearly positive that's where I originally saw the picture.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I believe is saw this photo in the exact same book, i have a more condensed version by a puplisher called Orbis however there is not a section on thunderbirds included. the version i had was A4 sized hardback quite thin, i believe there was about 4 books, one on ufo's, pararnormal, big cats and other strange creatures. This is where i believe i saw it and would love to confirms this. There were definately thunderbird photos in this book. The thunderbird section included stories about giant birds taking small dogs and children. It definately exists but i really hope to confirm wether this photo is there just to know wether i have become a victim of mass hysteria or not.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I'm really interested in this subject. It would be so cool if the picture really was out there. At first I was kind of thinking it's that false memory thing. But the more I thought about it... You see I love everything paranormal or cryptozoological and read a lot about it. Considering that, I would be a good person to have the memory of this photo (assuming it is just false memory), but I don't. I've never seen it and I've never own Mysteries of Unexpleined book. So you might be on to something.
On the other hand, why would they went through so much trobule and remove it? ("they" being I don't know who, someone who has very boring life if they've spent their time erasing all the evidence of thunderbird photo)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join