It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hunts For The Missing Thunderbird Picture

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
I've seen this photo too, and it is possible I have it on a VHS tape.

I have a series of tapes of an 80's mysteries TV series (can't remember it's name off the top of my head) and I'm sure there was an American monsters episode and I'm feeling that it may be where I've seen this picture.

I'll go have a dig through them and see if I can find it (If it is even there).

If it is I'll get a video of the segment with my camera and upload it.

Fingers crossed.

I also have a "memory" of seeing this photograph! Maybe it is a false memory people are having. I don't know. I clearly remember seeing it in a book that I read as a kid. In a book I got either from the school library or the public library. I've searched for it on the internet and also went thru all of the books I have here at home. No luck tho.

fooffstarr - that would be greatly appreciated! Good luck on your search! This photo has puzzled people for years looking for it. It would be a great relief if it was found again.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

We are looking for an image of a large bird being
held up by a number of men, possibly nailed to a barn.

I've seen a picture that might be the one you're looking for, but several of the details as I remember them are not quite as I'm seeing described in this thread.

The picture that I saw was of what appeared to be a huge bird. I remember it being somehow anchored such that its full wingspan was shown, and though it's been years since I've seen it, but from impressions I remember, I'd say it was on the order of 50+ feet. Larger than the men standing in front of it could possibly be expected to lift. None of the images I've seen in this thread so far are even remotely close. The men standing in front of it were all wearing suits, and I remember thinking they looked extremely pleased with themselves. The picture was taken indoors, and my impression was that it was inside a museum.

The photo was black and white.

It was clearly a bird. It did not at all look like any of the "pterodactyl" pictures in this thread. I vaguely remember there being a second photograph that showed a feather next to a human hand, and the feather was wider than the hand.

photo probably vanished before the 'net really took off.

The picture that I saw was definitely online, and within the past five or so years. When I first saw this thread title my immediate thought was "Oh, I wonder if that's the picture I saw on cryptomundo a few years ago." Though a casual search on cryptomundo does not turn up the picture I remember seeing.

I will see if I can find it.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've found the box they were/are in, and there is 6 videos from the Secrets and Mysteries series from the late 80's.

Secrets & Mysteries was a television series which originally aired in syndication from 1988 to 1989. It was hosted by Edward Mulhare (The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, Knight Rider) and dealt with topics of a paranormal nature, as well as mysterious historical events. It was similar to the 1970s/1980 series In Search Of.

The series consisted of 26 episodes, written by Erik Nelson and produced by Craig Haffner. It was released on home video in the early 1990s under the title Secrets of the Unknown.

Sadly, as far as I can tell from looking at the cases, there is nothing listed that could be about this topic. I was sure there was something about monsters etc. but the closest topic seems to be Bigfoot.

I will have a look through the videos themselves tomorrow, but the cases are fairly well detailed and don't mention what we were after.

Another dead end.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket
I will see if I can find it.

This is not the exact picture I remember seeing, but it might be of the same bird:

According to this, the bird in this picture is a "reconstruction of a teratorn" on display at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum.

If this is a museum reconstruction, then it's very likely that there are lots of pictures of it.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Here are the pictures i found so far, on google only.

Probably wont help but it's all i found on google image with key words: "thunderbird cryptozoology". Without adding cryptozoology, we get a legion of mozilla thunderbird pictures... as if it wasnt hard enough already...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I think its safe to say this alleged photograph is something completely different to everyone that remembers it, or was completely erased from history in every form imaginable.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I for another recall seeing the picture as well and of course can't remember where. Interesting post.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

i don't understand. What are you talking about? What picture?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I did a bit of a google search and found this.

*snip until I can figure out how to post image links*

It's got the guys at the bottom, arms spread like the tree photo, and it's hanging up on the wall, wings spread. It's just a sketch, but that's not bad for 3 minutes of searching.

link to the original location of the image: Thunderbird image article

I'll do a bit more digging.

Edit, can't find the image links...bah...

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Red-eye-syndrome]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The only one i've found that hasn't been posted (or maybe it has) is this one...

i39.photobucket.com...

Edit to add:

Apart from it being on the front page of course

[edit on 7/8/09 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
people.....of the ATS i have found a couple of website with pictures of thunder birds dont think there exactly wat is being looked 4 but i thought it would b interesting 2 look at.

Link 1

www.cryptomundo.com...

they are rlly incredible pics on birds

Mod Edit: Fixed links

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Morning Folks, if you google 1800's Pterodactyl Photo under the google images search engine, tons of these photos come up including the one your looking for.
thanks
Rossa

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa

Morning Folks, if you google 1800's Pterodactyl Photo under the google images search engine, tons of these photos come up including the one your looking for.
thanks
Rossa

Did you even bother reading any of the thread
The pics that come up have been posted multiple times already...

This reminds me of the whole "dead celebs" shared memory phenomena - think there was a thread on it a while back. There are certain celebs that a huge number of people remember dying, but who are actually still alive and well. Great thread and fascinating subject

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I have the book Mysteries of the Unexplained by Calkins. On page 45, it talks about this incident. The source of the information is cited as The Illustrated London News, Feb. 9th, 1856, p. 166. There is no photo of the bird though. Wish there was. I'd be more than happy to upload it.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
You know I remember reading about this in some book when I was probably about 10 at the library possibly. I also vaguely remember a program on tv that talked about it when I was younger. I never really could find much on it but now I see it here on ATS! I will be looking for anything I can find to help find the picture. I for some reason also seem to vaguely remember discussing this with my grandfather some years ago. I will call him this weekend and see if he even remembers this, heck I might have read about it in one of his books, if thats the case even better! I will keep checking to see what others posts.
S&F!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Great thread title...if there were a contest of good titles I think this would be a good competitor. I remember seeing the Thunderbird painted by the Sioux Indians along the bluffs on the east side of the Mississippi River just North of Alton, Illinois. It was scary and beautiful. I do not know about the stuff you are searching for...but loved the title. Very action centered and fantastic, what could be better than a hunt for a Thundebird. Take care.

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Missing Blue Sky]
www.greatriverroad.com...www.alt... onweb.com/history/piasabird/" target="_blank" class="postlink">www.altonweb.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
We are looking for an image of a large bird being held up by a number of men, possibly nailed to a barn. There are many descriptions and sketches of this photograph in this thread below. PLEASE HELP US!

BUT the problem with that approach is that many of these "eye-witnesses" claim to have seen the "lost evidence" in books...

Cryptomundo - comments

Kim
I know the photo was in a book called “Mysteries of the Unexplained”. It was on page 45. I was given this book as a gift in the 1980’s when I was in Highschool. I studied this book, showed it to every one I knew and talked about it all the time! When I met my husband, and started telling him about Fortean Phenom. I showed this book, and the photo of the Thunderbird nailed to an out building/small barn wall.

I went through my 1985 edition of Mysteries of the Unexplained and found nothing. I don't ever remember reading anything about the Thunderbird in that book either. I have had the book since I was a kid and have read the book at least couple dozen times. I'm uploading some photos of the book and page in question.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1bbee0d42e75.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/951aa109c0fb.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e74afb51090.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
KIM
I know the photo was in a book called “Mysteries of the Unexplained”. It was on page 45. I was given this book as a gift in the 1980’s when I was in Highschool. I studied this book, showed it to every one I knew and talked about it all the time! When I met my husband, and started telling him about Fortean Phenom. I showed this book, and the photo of the Thunderbird nailed to an out building/small barn wall.

Kim is mistaken. I have the actual book published in 1982 by Reader's Digest & edited by Carroll C. Calkins. It discusses this incident, but there is no picture. The source is from The Illustrated London News, Feb. 9th, 1856, p.166. I'm still searching for this original source.

From source:

'... in the experience of a number os startled French workmen, the last one died in the winter of 1856 in a partially completed railway tunnel between the St. Dozier & Nancy lines.
In the half-light of the tunnel, something monstrous stumbled toward them out of a great boulder of Jurassic limestone they had just split open. It fluttered its wings, croaked, & died at their feet.
The creature, whose wingspan was 10ft. 7in., had four legs joined by a membrane, like a bat. What should have been feet were long talons, & the mouth was arrayed with sharp teeth. The skin was like a black leather, thick & oily.
At the town of Gray, the creature was immediately identified by a local student of paleontology as a pterodactyl. The rock stratum in which it had been found was consistent with the period when pterodactyls lived, & the limestone boulder that had imprisoned the winged reptile for millions of years was found to contain a cavity in the form of an exact mold of the creature's body.(The Illustrated London News, February 9, 1856, p.166)'

Too bad it doesn't tell us where the limestone was taken & by whom. I wish to find the original article which may contain the names of those involved.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Afterthought]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Thanks for posting the pics. I know you probably love your library as much as I do! Great job; I just wish you would've actually read the page you stated to be in question & uploaded!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by lucentenigma

Thanks for posting the pics. I know you probably love your library as much as I do! Great job; I just wish you would've actually read the page you stated to be in question & uploaded!

The Mysteries of the Unexplained book is what got me questioning things more then I already did and it also sparked my interest in well, unexplained things.

Yeah it was an 'afterthought' after I uploaded the pics, I read the top corner, whoops!

[edit on 7-8-2009 by lucentenigma]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join